Equations in Classical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion the person is facing while learning about dx/dt in their lectures and readings. They are seeking clarification on what the "d" stands for and how it relates to the full equation F=ma. They are also wondering which type of calculus they should focus on for a better understanding. The expert suggests starting with differential calculus and recommends a resource for immediate learning. The conversation also touches on the differences between Aristotle's and Newton's laws and the concept of x representing location. The person expresses gratitude for the help and acknowledges the need to do more reading before diving into more interesting topics.
wolfspirit
hi
i am a bit confused watching lectures and reeding books i quite often come across dx/dt
and i don't know what the "d" is. the full equation is F=ma which was rewritable as F=m*dx/dt
many thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you need to watch some lectures on Math. Calculus specifically. Of course to make sense of that you will need to be familiar with algebra.

Physics is a structure build on math. Without math you cannot do physics.

also in your eqn I think you mean dv/dt not dx/dt where v means velocity.

what type of Calculus should i be looking at? Differential Calculus, Ap calculus, Lambda Calculus or another type (i only know a bit of Differential Calculus)
Thanks

Start with differential calculus.

in the video he was contrasting Aristotles law with Newton's law. InAristotle's world F=mv and F is a function of x but in Newton's it was F=ma. Aristotle believed that forces cause motion whereas Newton believed that forces cause acceleration.

what is x is it location?

thank you for your help :) it seams i have a bit of reading to do before i get back to the really interesting stuff

Related to Equations in Classical Mechanics

1. What is an equation in classical mechanics?

An equation in classical mechanics is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between physical quantities such as position, velocity, acceleration, and force in a system. These equations are derived from Newton's laws of motion and can be used to predict the behavior of objects in motion.

2. What are the main equations in classical mechanics?

The main equations in classical mechanics are Newton's second law, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, and Newton's law of universal gravitation, which describes the force of attraction between two objects with mass.

3. How are equations in classical mechanics used in real-world applications?

Equations in classical mechanics are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing structures and machines, predicting the motion of objects in space, and understanding the behavior of fluids and gases. They are also used in fields like engineering, physics, and astronomy to make accurate calculations and predictions.

4. Can equations in classical mechanics be applied to all systems?

No, equations in classical mechanics are most accurate when applied to systems that are relatively small and moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light. For systems that are extremely small, such as atoms, or extremely large, such as galaxies, other theories such as quantum mechanics or general relativity are needed to accurately describe their behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using equations in classical mechanics?

Yes, there are limitations to using equations in classical mechanics. These equations do not take into account phenomena such as friction, air resistance, and the curvature of space, which can greatly affect the motion of objects. In addition, they are based on a classical, deterministic view of the universe and do not account for quantum uncertainties or relativistic effects at high speeds.