Equations of motion of a block on a spinning wedge

In summary: Coriolis force ; in the lab frame the Coriolis force does not exist and the reaction causes acceleration of the block
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
The wedge spins with angular velocity ##\omega##. There's a block of mass ##m## on it which is restricted by a slot to slide down. Determine the acceleration of the block. Is there any force acting on the walls of the slot? How can you calculate it?
Relevant Equations
##\Sigma F_{e\theta}=m(2\dot r \dot {\theta})##
##\Sigma F_{er}=m(\ddot r -r\dot \theta^2)##
I think that the only force acting on the wall is the normal force caused by Coriolis force, so it can be calculated this way:
##N=m2\dot r \dot \theta##

But ##\dot r## is not constant, so how can I calculate it?

Then, I can't calculate the acceleration either since I don't have the value of ##\ddot r## to plug in the equation
##\Sigma F_{er}=m(\ddot r -r\dot \theta^2)##

Attachments

• 20200402_014620.jpg
    20200402_014620.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 91
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you not told the angle of the wedge?

Yes the angle must be given. As I understand there is a vertical plane that contains the block, the wedge and the axis z and this vertical plane rotates with constant angular velocity ##\omega.## The block is compelled to stay in this plane by the ideal constraint. The system has one degree of freedom.
If it is so then it is sufficient to write the law of energy conservation relative the frame that rotates together with the plane. The centrifugal force is a potential force

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Are you not told the angle of the wedge?
It just says ##\theta## so I think I can assume that it is known

wrobel said:
As I understand there is a vertical plane that contains the block, the wedge and the axis z and this vertical plane rotates with constant angular velocity ##\omega.##

There's a rotating platform and there's a wedge fixed to it. The block is on the wedge and it is compelled to stay in it.

wrobel said:
If it is so then it is sufficient to write the law of energy conservation relative the frame that rotates together with the plane. The centrifugal force is a potential force

Is mechanical energy conserved? How should I consider the pseudo-forces?

Like Tony Stark said:
It just says θ\theta so I think I can assume that it is known
and this is the angle you differentiate in the initial post

Like Tony Stark said:
It just says ##\theta## so I think I can assume that it is known
Sure, but you omitted that.
You might confuse yourself by also using θ(t) for the angle of rotation of the wedge

Like Tony Stark said:
Is mechanical energy conserved? How should I consider the pseudo-forces?
It is not conserved in the lab frame. But @wrobel suggests that in the rotating frame centrifugal force represents a potential gradient. It's not an approach I'm comfortable with, so I'll leave it to him to assist further.

I think that this approach will not be the main one in this thread, so I bring it completely as an alternative version of some main solution which will appear here by somebody's efforts

Let ##s## be a distance from the bottom angle of the slope to the block. Then the kinetic energy of the block (relative the rotating frame) is ##T=m\dot s^2/2##. And the potential energy of the centrifugal force is (think why)
$$W=-\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2s^2\cos^2\alpha,$$ here ##\alpha## is slope's incline angle.
So the energy is conserved:
$$T+W+mgs\sin\alpha=const$$
Differentiating this equality in time we get the equation of motion: ##\ddot s=\ldots##.
I also feel that this problem is actually about relative equilibrium of the block. The equilibrium can be found as a critical point of the potential energy ##V(s)=W+mgs\sin\alpha##
This equilibrium is unstable as a maximum of the potential energy

UPD: there must be square on cosine. Corrected

Last edited:
Likes Like Tony Stark
I've made a mistake with my notation... when I wrote ##\dot \theta## I meant "the ##\theta## direction from polar coordinates". So the angle of the wedge has nothing to do with it. Let's call it ##\alpha##

haruspex said:
It is not conserved in the lab frame.
Why? There are no non-conservative forces acting on the system, I think.

Like Tony Stark said:
Why? There are no non-conservative forces acting on the system, I think.
Something is keeping the wedge rotating at a constant rate. If the block changes radius its KE will change. This must be from a normal force from the side of the slot.

haruspex said:
This must be from a normal force from the side of the slot.
and this force does not work relative to the rotating frame but it does work relative to the lab frame

Likes Like Tony Stark
wrobel said:
and this force does not work relative to the rotating frame but it does work relative to the lab frame
That force would be caused by Coriolis force, wouldn't it?

Like Tony Stark said:
That force would be caused by Coriolis force, wouldn't it?
for the observer sitting inside the rotating frame the side reaction from the wedge is equalized by the Coriolis force ; in the lab frame the Coriolis force does not exist and the reaction causes acceleration of the block

What is the "equation of motion" in physics?

The equation of motion refers to the mathematical representation of the movement of an object, taking into account factors such as time, distance, velocity, and acceleration.

What is a "block on a spinning wedge"?

A block on a spinning wedge is a common example used in physics to demonstrate the principles of rotational motion. It consists of a block placed on top of a wedge that is spinning around its axis.

What are the main equations of motion for a block on a spinning wedge?

The main equations of motion for a block on a spinning wedge include the equations for translational motion (linear motion) and rotational motion. These can include equations for displacement, velocity, acceleration, and torque.

What factors affect the motion of a block on a spinning wedge?

The motion of a block on a spinning wedge is affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the block and wedge, the speed and direction of rotation, and any external forces acting on the system.

How is the motion of a block on a spinning wedge calculated?

The motion of a block on a spinning wedge can be calculated using the principles of Newton's laws of motion and rotational dynamics. This involves setting up and solving equations that take into account the various factors affecting the system's motion.