Equations of relative motion with respect to a rotating reference frame

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use equations of motion to find the absolute velocity and acceleration of a body with multiple rotations around fixed reference points. The equations involve terms such as angular velocity, linear translational velocity, and rotation of points. The key is to focus on one rotation and coordinate change at a time, as combining them all can be complicated. The conversation also mentions a diagram that helps illustrate these types of problems.
Master1022
Homework Statement
How to use these equations of motion
Relevant Equations
## r = R + \rho ##
## \dot r = \dot R + (\Omega \times \rho) + \dot \rho ##
## \ddot r = \ddot R + \ddot \rho + 2(\Omega \times \dot \rho) + \dot \Omega \times \rho + \Omega \times (\Omega \times \rho) ##
Hi,

I am just writing a post to follow up on a previous thread I made which I don't think was very clear. The question is mainly about how to use the below equations when there is also a rotation of the body around the fixed reference point.

Please see the diagram here to see how the vectors have been defined:

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.50.32.png

We can then derive the following equations of motion:
$$ r = R + \rho $$
$$ \dot r = \dot R + (\Omega \times \rho) + \dot \rho $$
$$ \ddot r = \ddot R + \ddot \rho + 2(\Omega \times \dot \rho) + \dot \Omega \times \rho + \Omega \times (\Omega \times \rho) $$

However, what happens if there is also a rotation of A around O (lets say that the angular velocity is ## \omega ##)? How do we now use the equations to find the absolute velocity and acceleration of B?

My approach:
In an attempt to be clear and not keep re-using terms, let us define ## \alpha ## to be the rotation of the body (about A) relative to the the rotation of A around O and ## \omega ## is defined above.

Velocity:
The equation is:
$$ \dot r = \dot R + (\Omega \times \rho) + \dot \rho $$
Does ## \dot R ## include the rotation of point A around O and therefore become ## \dot R = (\omega \times R)##? I originally thought that vector only included a linear translational velocity...

Now for the other two terms, one problem I was working seems to suggest that the rotation of B around point A is included in the ## \dot \rho ## term and not the ## (\Omega \times \rho) ## term. Therefore, it suggests that ## \dot \rho = (\alpha \times \rho) ## where ## \alpha ## is defined as above. It also suggests that ## (\Omega \times \rho) = (\omega \times \rho) ##. I am struggling to understand why this is the case.

Acceleration:
The equation is:
$$ \ddot r = \ddot R + \ddot \rho + 2(\Omega \times \dot \rho) + \dot \Omega \times \rho + \Omega \times (\Omega \times \rho) $$

the ## \ddot R ## term contains ## \omega \times (\omega \times R) + \dot \omega \times R ## (it would also contain any linear relative acceleration but there is none).

the ## 2(\Omega \times \dot \rho) ## is the Coriolis term which is ## 2(\omega \times \dot \rho) ## where ## \dot \rho ## has been calculated above. This term makes sense to me.

the ## \ddot \rho ## term contains the ## \alpha \times (\alpha \times \rho) + \dot \alpha \times \rho ##

the ## \dot \Omega \times \rho ## term is ## \dot \omega \times \rho ##

the ## \Omega \times (\Omega \times \rho) = \omega \times (\omega \times \rho) ##

I am also struggling to see why the last two terms relate ## \omega ## and ## \rho ##.

Any correction/ clarification is greatly appreciated. In the lecture notes, we only saw situations with ## R = 0 ## and body just rotating around a fixed point, so this is new to me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend that you only worry about one rotation and coordinate change at a time. If you understand each one, keep it simple. There are situations that require one coordinate transformation after another, after another,... IMO, the combination of them all would be very complicated and virtually incomprehensible.

FactChecker said:
I recommend that you only worry about one rotation and coordinate change at a time. If you understand each one, keep it simple. There are situations that require one coordinate transformation after another, after another,... IMO, the combination of them all would be very complicated and virtually incomprehensible.
Thanks for your response @FactChecker . However, I found a diagram for these types of problems:

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 15.34.45.png

and this question asks us to find the absolute velocity and acceleration of A. We are given the distances, ## \theta##, ## \dot \theta ##, ## \ddot \theta ##, ## \alpha ##, ## \dot \alpha ##, and ## \ddot \alpha ##. In this situation we need to consider both rotations together and the solution uses the same method as above.

For example, the acceleration is equation is turned from

into
$$ a_A = a_o + 2 \dot \theta \times v_{A/o} + \ddot \theta \times r_{A/o} + a_{A/o} + \dot \theta \times \dot \theta \times r_{A/o} $$
and am confused why ## \dot \theta \times \dot \theta \times r_{A/o} ## appears in the equation. The terms like ## \dot \alpha \times \dot \alpha \times r_{A/o} ## are contained within ## a_{A/o} ##

Master1022 said:
For example, the acceleration is equation is turned from

into
$$ a_A = a_o + 2 \dot \theta \times v_{A/o} + \ddot \theta \times r_{A/o} + a_{A/o} + \dot \theta \times \dot \theta \times r_{A/o} $$
and am confused why ## \dot \theta \times \dot \theta \times r_{A/o} ## appears in the equation.
If you rearrange the term ##a_{A_0}## in the second equation, then the two equations are$$\ddot r = \ddot R + \ddot \rho + 2(\Omega \times \dot \rho) + \dot \Omega \times \rho + \Omega \times (\Omega \times \rho) $$

$$ a_A = a_o + a_{A/o} + 2 \dot \theta \times v_{A/o} + \ddot \theta \times r_{A/o} + \dot \theta \times \dot \theta \times r_{A/o} $$

Each term in the second equation equals the corresponding term in the first equation.

Note that ##\Omega## in this picture
1600897789274.png

corresponds to ##\dot \theta## in this picture
1600897850578.png

The square plate corresponds to the "body" in the first picture. The angular velocity of the square plate relative to the inertial frame XOY is ##\dot \theta##, and this corresponds to ##\Omega## in the first picture. The particle A in the second picture corresponds to the particle B in the first picture. The point o in the second picture corresponds to point A (fixed in the body) in the first picture. Point O in the second picture corresponds to point O in the first picture.

• Informative
Likes Abhishek11235 and Master1022
TSny said:
If you rearrange the term ##a_{A_0}## in the second equation, then the two equations are$$\ddot r = \ddot R + \ddot \rho + 2(\Omega \times \dot \rho) + \dot \Omega \times \rho + \Omega \times (\Omega \times \rho) $$

$$ a_A = a_o + a_{A/o} + 2 \dot \theta \times v_{A/o} + \ddot \theta \times r_{A/o} + \dot \theta \times \dot \theta \times r_{A/o} $$

Each term in the second equation equals the corresponding term in the first equation.

Note that ##\Omega## in this picture
View attachment 269948

corresponds to ##\dot \theta## in this picture
View attachment 269949
The square plate corresponds to the "body" in the first picture. The angular velocity of the square plate relative to the inertial frame XOY is ##\dot \theta##, and this corresponds to ##\Omega## in the first picture. The particle A in the second picture corresponds to the particle B in the first picture. The point o in the second picture corresponds to point A (fixed in the body) in the first picture. Point O in the second picture corresponds to point O in the first picture.

Thank you @TSny very much for the explanation! Can you explain what the physical interpretation of the ##\dot \theta \times \dot \theta \times r_{A/o} ## term is? It looks like a centripetal-type of acceleration term, but I am not really sure how to explain it in words.

Can you explain what the physical interpretation of the ##\dot \theta \times \dot \theta \times r_{A/o} ## term is? It looks like a centripetal-type of acceleration term, but I am not really sure how to explain it in words.
Yes, this term is a centripetal-type acceleration. Suppose the particle A is not moving relative to the plate, so A is at a fixed location on the circular track and ##\alpha## is not changing. The particle will still experience acceleration due to the rotation of the plate about the corner O. The centripetal part of this acceleration is ##\dot \theta \times ( \dot \theta \times r_{A/O} )##. Write ##r_{A/O}## as ##r_{A/O} = r_{o/O}+r_{A/o}##. The acceleration is then

##\dot \theta \times \left( \dot \theta \times ( r_{o/O}+r_{A/o}) \right) = \dot \theta \times ( \dot \theta \times r_{o/O} ) + \dot \theta \times ( \dot \theta \times r_{A/0} ) ##

The last term on the right is the term you are asking about. The first term on the right is contained in ##a_o## in the overall expression

$$ a_A = a_o + a_{A/o} + 2 \dot \theta \times v_{A/o} + \ddot \theta \times r_{A/o} + \dot \theta \times (\dot \theta \times r_{A/o} )$$

• Informative
Likes Abhishek11235 and Master1022
TSny said:
Yes, this term is a centripetal-type acceleration. Suppose the particle A is not moving relative to the plate, so A is at a fixed location on the circular track and ##\alpha## is not changing. The particle will still experience acceleration due to the rotation of the plate about the corner O. The centripetal part of this acceleration is ##\dot \theta \times ( \dot \theta \times r_{A/O} )##. Write ##r_{A/O}## as ##r_{A/O} = r_{o/O}+r_{A/o}##. The acceleration is then

##\dot \theta \times \left( \dot \theta \times ( r_{o/O}+r_{A/o}) \right) = \dot \theta \times ( \dot \theta \times r_{o/O} ) + \dot \theta \times ( \dot \theta \times r_{A/0} ) ##

The last term on the right is the term you are asking about. The first term on the right is contained in ##a_o## in the overall expression

$$ a_A = a_o + a_{A/o} + 2 \dot \theta \times v_{A/o} + \ddot \theta \times r_{A/o} + \dot \theta \times (\dot \theta \times r_{A/o} )$$

@TSny - thank you once again, that makes much more sense now! I haven't been able to find such a clear explanation anywhere else.

Thanks

Ok. Glad I could help.

1. What is a rotating reference frame?

A rotating reference frame is a coordinate system that is moving and rotating in relation to an external, fixed coordinate system. It is often used in physics to describe motion in systems that are rotating or in circular motion.

2. How do equations of relative motion differ in a rotating reference frame?

In a rotating reference frame, the equations of relative motion will include additional terms to account for the rotation of the frame. These terms will involve the angular velocity and the position of the observer in the rotating frame.

3. What is the Coriolis effect and how does it relate to equations of relative motion?

The Coriolis effect is a phenomenon in which a moving object appears to experience a force due to the rotation of the Earth. In equations of relative motion, the Coriolis effect is accounted for by adding a term that includes the angular velocity and the velocity of the object in the rotating frame.

4. Can equations of relative motion be used in non-uniformly rotating reference frames?

Yes, equations of relative motion can be used in non-uniformly rotating reference frames. In these cases, the equations will include additional terms to account for the non-uniform rotation, such as the angular acceleration of the frame.

5. How are equations of relative motion with respect to a rotating reference frame used in real-world applications?

Equations of relative motion with respect to a rotating reference frame are used in various fields, such as aerospace engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. They are used to describe the motion of objects in systems that are rotating or in circular motion, and are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of these systems.