Equations of the Tangents

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, the two tangents intersect at the point (169/5, 0) and the slope of the line through the origin and (5, 12) is \frac{12}{5}. The slope of the line through the origin and (-5, 12) is -\frac{12}{5} so the slope of the tangent line is \frac{5}{12}. The equation of the tangent line is y- 12= \frac{5}{12}(x+ 5) which we can write as 12y- 144= 5x+ 25 or 12y- 5x= 169.
mathdad
Tangents are drawn to the circle x^2 + y^2 = 169 at the points (5,12) and (5,-12).

A. Find the equations of the tangents.

B. Find the coordinates of the point where these two tangents intersect.

I need steps for parts A and B above.

I know the equation x^2 + y^2 = 169 is a circle of radius 13. The two equations I must find touch the circle at the two given points.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Also, the circle is centered at the origin, so the two lines perpendicular to the tangents pass through (0, 0) and (5, $\pm$12). If a line is perpendicular to another line with slope m, its slope is -1/m.

Is that sufficient information for you to solve the problem? If you have any questions (on notation, perhaps) please ask. :)

greg1313 said:
Also, the circle is centered at the origin, so the two lines perpendicular to the tangents pass through (0, 0) and (5, $\pm$12). If a line is perpendicular to another line with slope m, its slope is -1/m.

Is that sufficient information for you to solve the problem? If you have any questions (on notation, perhaps) please ask. :)

When time allows, I will post my complete reply.

RTCNTC said:
Tangents are drawn to the circle x^2 + y^2 = 169 at the points (5,12) and (5,-12).

B. Find the coordinates of the point where these two tangents intersect.

I need steps for parts A and B above.

I know the equation x^2 + y^2 = 169 is a circle of radius 13. The two equations I must find touch the circle at the two given points.
The slope of the line through the origin (the center of the circle) and (5, 12) is \(\displaystyle \frac{12}{5}\). Since the tangent to the circle at that point is perpendicular to that line is perpendicular to it, it has slope \(\displaystyle -\frac{5}{12}\). Since it goes through (5, 12) its equation is \(\displaystyle y- 12= -\frac{5}{12}(x- 5)\). We can write that as \(\displaystyle 12y- 144= -5x+ 25\) or \(\displaystyle 5x+ 12y= 169\).

Similarly the slope of the line through the origin and (-5, 12) is \(\displaystyle -\frac{12}{5}\) so the slope or the tangent line is \(\displaystyle \frac{5}{12}\). The equation of the tangent line is \(\displaystyle y- 12= \frac{5}{12}(x+ 5)\) which we can write as \(\displaystyle 12y- 144= 5x+ 25\) or \(\displaystyle 12y- 5x= 169\).

To solve (b), find (x, y) that satisfy both 5x+ 12y= 169 and -5x+ 12y= 169. I suggest first adding the two equations to eliminate x.

I will work on this when time allows.

"Tangents are drawn to the circle x^2 + y^2 = 169 at the points (5,12) and (5,-12).

B. Find the coordinates of the point where these two tangents intersect."

There are two ways to do (A).

Using Calculus: Differentiating with respect to x, 2x+ 2yy'= 0. AT (5, 12) that is 2(5)+ 2(12)y'= 10+ 24y'= 0 so y'= -10/24= -5/12. The line through (5, 12) with slope -5/12 is y- 12= (-5/12)(x- 5) or 12y- 144= -5x+ 25 which we can write as 5x+ 12y= 169. At (5, -12), that is 2(5)+ 2(-12)y'= 0 so y'= 5/12. The line through (5, -12) with slope 5/12 is y+ 12= (5/12)(x- 5) or 12y+ 144= 5x- 25 which we can write as 5x- 12y= 169.

Without Calculus, using the fact that a tangent to a circle, at a point on the circle, is perpendicular to the radius at that point: The radius at (5, 12) is the line through the center of the circle, (0, 0) to (5, 12). It has slope 12/5 so a line perpendicular to it, the tangent line to the circle, has slope -5/12. Now finish as before. Similarly for the tangent at (5, -12).

The equations of the two lines, 5x+ 12y= 169 and 5x- 12y= 169, added together, give 10x= 2(169) so x= 169/5. If we subtract the second equation from the first, we get 24y= 0 so y= 0. The two tangents intersect at (169/5, 0). The fact that the y coordinate is 0 should have been obvious from the symmetry of the situation.

What are the equations of tangents?

The equations of tangents are mathematical expressions that describe the slope and position of a tangent line to a curve at a given point. They are used to find the instantaneous rate of change or slope of a curve at a specific point.

How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

The equation of a tangent line can be found using the point-slope form of a line, where the slope is equal to the derivative of the curve at the given point. The coordinates of the point of tangency are used to find the y-intercept of the tangent line.

Can you have multiple equations of tangents for one curve?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple equations of tangents for one curve. This is because the slope and position of the tangent line can change at different points along the curve.

Do all curves have equations of tangents?

No, not all curves have equations of tangents. In order for a curve to have a tangent line, it must be differentiable, meaning that it has a well-defined derivative at each point. Curves that have sharp points or corners do not have well-defined derivatives and therefore do not have equations of tangents.

How are equations of tangents used in real life?

Equations of tangents are used in real life to solve a variety of problems, such as calculating the acceleration of an object or finding the rate of change of a function. They are also used in physics and engineering to determine the velocity and acceleration of moving objects. In finance, they are used to determine the marginal cost and revenue of a business.