Equilibrium and Force on Lower Hemisphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium of a sphere in the y direction and calculates the force exerted on the lower hemisphere. It is determined that the center of mass of the lower hemisphere has a centripetal acceleration and the final calculation confirms that option A is correct. The conversation ends with confirmation that the calculations are correct.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=c5e575ffb27bf1584cb626211605385d.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the fact that the sphere is in equilibrium in the 'y' direction , the force exerted by the floor N = 2mg .

Now , if I consider the lower hemisphere then , vertical force exerted by top hemisphere + weight of lower hemisphere = Normal reaction from the floor .

This means , vertical force exerted by top hemisphere on lower = mg

Should this be the total force exerted on the lower hemisphere ?

Thanks

Attachments

• sphere.PNG
    sphere.PNG
    30.4 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the sphere as a whole is "in equilibrium in the y direction" since the center of mass of the sphere has no acceleration.

However, does the center of mass of the lower hemisphere have any acceleration?

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
However, does the center of mass of the lower hemisphere have any acceleration?

It has centripetal acceleration ω2r ( r=3R/8) directed towards the center of the sphere i.e in +y direction (upwards)

Taking + y to be upwards , 2mg - mg +R = mω2r , gives R = 5mg/8 downwards i.e option A)

Is that ok ??

Vibhor said:
It has centripetal acceleration ω2r ( r=3R/8) directed towards the center of the sphere i.e in +y direction (upwards)

Taking + y to be upwards , 2mg - mg +R = mω2r , gives R = 5mg/8 downwards i.e option A)

Is that ok ??
Yes, I believe that's all correct.

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
Yes, I believe that's all correct.

Thank you :smile:

Last edited:

What is the force exerted on a hemisphere?

The force exerted on a hemisphere is the amount of pressure or push applied on the surface of a hemisphere. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What factors affect the force exerted on a hemisphere?

The force exerted on a hemisphere is affected by several factors, including the mass of the hemispherical object, the acceleration due to gravity, the angle at which the force is applied, and the surface area of the hemisphere.

How can the force exerted on a hemisphere be calculated?

The force exerted on a hemisphere can be calculated using the formula F = P * A, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the surface area of the hemisphere.

What are some real-life applications of force exerted on a hemisphere?

The force exerted on a hemisphere is an important concept in engineering and physics. It is commonly used in the design and construction of structures, such as domes and arches, as well as in the study of fluid mechanics.

How does the force exerted on a hemisphere differ from that of a full sphere?

The force exerted on a hemisphere is half of the force exerted on a full sphere. This is because a hemisphere has half the surface area of a full sphere, resulting in a proportionally smaller force being exerted on it.