Object on a hemispherical hill

In summary: Yes, I solved for h and it comes out to be R=2.33R.In summary, the ball becomes airborne at a height of 2.33R from the ground.
Matt Raj

Homework Statement

There is an object at the top of a frictionless hemispherical hill with radius R. t time t=0, it is given a small impulse so that it starts sliding down the hill. Find the height from the ground where the ball becomes airborne. Express your answer in terms of R.

Homework Equations

a_c=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I first attempted setting mv^2/r equal to the force of gravity and the normal force which keep it on its circular path, but I couldn't get a proper equation with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Matt, :welcome:
Matt Raj said:
but I couldn't get a proper equation with it.
Well, post what you did get !

The centrifugal force and gravity don't point in the same directions. You'll need the components orthogonal to the surface.

Can you find v as function of the height or the angle of the object on the hemisphere?

Using the centripetal acceleration, I found that mv^2/R=mg/cos(theta), so v^2=Rg/cos(theta). Furthermore, I used conservation of energy to find that mgR=mgRcos(theta)+1/2(mv^2). I tried solving this system of equations but I got cos^2(theta)-cos^3(theta)=Rg and couldn't go anywhere after that.

Matt Raj said:
so v^2=Rg/cos(theta)
i believe this expression is not quite right the height difference between initial position and final position is what you need r/cos theta as far as i can see doesn't represent any height
Matt Raj said:
mv^2/R=mg/cos(theta)
there is also normal force and what can you say about normal force when it just becomes airborne

Matt Raj said:
Using the centripetal acceleration, I found that mv^2/R=mg/cos(theta), so v^2=Rg/cos(theta). Furthermore, I used conservation of energy to find that mgR=mgRcos(theta)+1/2(mv^2). I tried solving this system of equations but I got cos^2(theta)-cos^3(theta)=Rg and couldn't go anywhere after that.
Did you make a clear sketch showing what coordinates you use ?

Matt Raj said:
Using the centripetal acceleration, I found that mv^2/R=mg/cos(theta), so v^2=Rg/cos(theta). Furthermore, I used conservation of energy to find that mgR=mgRcos(theta)+1/2(mv^2).
Good so far. Something went wrong later because this should lead to a quadratic equation.

Edit: ehild is right, there is a mistake.

Last edited:
Matt Raj said:
Using the centripetal acceleration, I found that mv^2/R=mg/cos(theta), so v^2=Rg/cos(theta).
Are you sure?

upload_2018-12-31_6-3-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-31_6-3-7.png
    upload_2018-12-31_6-3-7.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 354
Likes Matt Raj, SammyS and PeroK
Sorry, I divided by cos(theta) instead of multiplying. The equations should be mv^2/R=mg*cos(theta) and mgR=mgRcos(theta)+1/2(mv^2). Solving this gave me 2/3=cos(theta), so the height that the ball leaves the hill is Rcos(theta)=2R/3.

Matt Raj said:
Rcos(theta)=2R/3
You can simplify that further and solve for h, surely?

1. What is an object on a hemispherical hill?

An object on a hemispherical hill refers to a physical object, such as a ball or a block, placed on a surface that is shaped like a half of a sphere. This type of surface is often used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity and motion on objects.

2. How does the shape of the hill affect the object's motion?

The shape of the hill plays a crucial role in determining the object's motion. Due to the curvature of the surface, the object experiences a gravitational force towards the center of the hill, causing it to roll downwards. The steeper the hill, the faster the object will roll. The shape also affects the object's trajectory and velocity as it moves down the hill.

3. What factors influence the object's movement on the hill?

Apart from the shape of the hill, the object's movement is influenced by its mass, the force of gravity, and any external forces acting on it, such as friction. The steepness of the hill, the object's initial position and velocity, and the surface of the hill also play a role in determining its movement.

4. How can the object's motion on the hill be calculated?

The object's motion on the hill can be calculated using principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations for motion on an inclined plane. By knowing the object's mass, the angle of the hill, and the forces acting on it, the object's acceleration, velocity, and displacement can be determined.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying objects on hemispherical hills?

Studying objects on hemispherical hills has practical applications in various fields, such as sports, engineering, and transportation. For example, analyzing the movement of a ball on a curved surface can help improve techniques in sports like bowling and skiing. Engineers also use this concept to design roads and roller coasters that can safely and efficiently guide vehicles or passengers down steep inclines.