Equilibrium liquid-gas ratio in a binary mixture

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a formula to calculate the percentage of an ammonia-water mixture that will boil off under specific pressure and temperature conditions. The main issue is determining the percentage of mass that ends up in the vapor phase at equilibrium. The individual has considered using CEA2 but it did not provide the desired results.
KarenRei
Hi all. I'm in need of a formula to calculate (roughly) the percentage of an ammonia-water mixture (arbitrary ratio of ammonia to water) that will boil off under different pressure/temperature conditions, in the ballpark range of 0.2-1.3 bar and 220K-350K. I don't necessarily need to know the resultant ratio of NH3/H2O in the vapor phase, as their molecular weights are so similar and I only need rough figures... though it certainly wouldn't hurt. But the key issue is calculating the percentage of the mass that ends up in the vapour phase at equilibrium.

I've been searching and I've run into a number of papers arguing over what exactly should be the coefficients to what formulae for determining the bubble point in ammonia-water mixtures (often with 1-2 dozen different coefficients :Þ ), but it's not bubble points that I need.

I considered setting the situation up in CEA2 - I think that would work - but all that would do for me is give specific datapoints. So I could interpolate between them, but obviously that's not ideal...

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, CEA2 didn't do the trick :( For some reason, while they have a thermo.inp entry for NH3(L), it puts all of the NH3 in gas phase regardless of the temperature (it handles water fine, but as if the NH3 wasn't there). So I'm back to having no ideas for how to deal with this issue.

1. What is the equilibrium liquid-gas ratio in a binary mixture?

The equilibrium liquid-gas ratio in a binary mixture refers to the ratio of the amount of liquid to the amount of gas present at equilibrium, where the two phases are in equilibrium with each other.

2. How is the equilibrium liquid-gas ratio determined?

The equilibrium liquid-gas ratio can be determined experimentally by measuring the partial pressures of the components in the gas phase and the mole fraction of the components in the liquid phase. It can also be calculated using thermodynamic models and equations.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium liquid-gas ratio?

The equilibrium liquid-gas ratio can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the composition of the mixture. In addition, the intermolecular forces between the molecules of the components can also affect the ratio.

4. How does the equilibrium liquid-gas ratio change with temperature?

As temperature increases, the equilibrium liquid-gas ratio generally increases for most binary mixtures. This is because higher temperatures cause the molecules to have more kinetic energy, making it easier for them to overcome intermolecular forces and transition from the liquid to the gas phase.

5. Can the equilibrium liquid-gas ratio be altered?

Yes, the equilibrium liquid-gas ratio can be altered by changing the temperature, pressure, or composition of the mixture. By adjusting these factors, the system can be shifted towards either the liquid or gas phase, resulting in a different equilibrium liquid-gas ratio.