Equilibrium Modeling for Forces in a Square-Circle System

• Thread starter analysis001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses modeling an equilibrium for a square with a small circle in the center. The square has forces that attract particles to the edges, while the circle has a force that attracts particles towards it. The two forces are equal in magnitude and the goal is to mathematically model the equilibrium where particles will stay in place. The challenge lies in the circle being inside of the square. The conversation also mentions the importance of defining the forces and finding points where the total force is zero.
analysis001

Homework Statement

I am trying to model an equilibrium for the attached picture. The picture is of a square with a small circle in the center of the square. There is a force from the sides of the square that attracts particles to the edges. There is also a force from the circle that attracts particles towards the circle. The two forces are the same value. I am trying to draw the equilibrium, where if a particle lands there, it stays in that place because the two forces are attracting it equally. It is a lot harder than I thought it would be because it is a circle inside of a square. Ideally I would like to mathematically model the equilibrium but I'm not really sure how to. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Sources that you find would also be helpful. The second image I attached is just showing the direction a few particles move for reference.

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 401
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
The two forces are the same value.
Same magnitude everywhere?
What about the direction?
I am trying to draw the equilibrium, where if a particle lands there, it stays in that place because the two forces are attracting it equally.
Where is the problem? First you need some clear definition of your forces, but then you can check for points where the total force is zero.

1. What is the midpoint between two forces?

The midpoint between two forces is the point at which the two forces are balanced and have equal magnitude and opposite direction. This point is also known as the center of mass or center of gravity.

2. How is the midpoint between two forces calculated?

The midpoint between two forces can be calculated by finding the average of the two forces. This can be done by adding the two forces together and then dividing by two. The resulting value is the magnitude of the midpoint force. The direction of the midpoint force is opposite to the direction of the two original forces.

3. Why is the midpoint between two forces important?

The midpoint between two forces is important because it represents the point at which the two forces are balanced and there is no net force acting on an object. This point is crucial in understanding the overall motion and stability of an object subjected to multiple forces.

4. Can the midpoint between two forces change?

Yes, the midpoint between two forces can change if the magnitude or direction of either force changes. Any change in the forces will result in a new midpoint between the two forces. However, if the magnitude and direction of both forces remain constant, the midpoint will also remain constant.

5. How does the midpoint between two forces affect the motion of an object?

The midpoint between two forces does not directly affect the motion of an object. However, it is an important factor in determining the overall net force acting on an object. If the midpoint is located outside the object, it will cause the object to rotate. If the midpoint is located within the object, it will cause the object to move in a straight line.