Equilibrium Problem: Finding the Applied Force on a Stationary Board

In summary, the problem is to find the magnitude of the applied force, given the angle the force makes with the wall. The force is applied at a 30 degree angle, and the resultant of the force and the moment must be zero. Using the vector equation, the answer is between 20 and 100 lbs.
WhatTheBleepDoIKnow
The problem:

A force is applied to the end of a 2ft. long, uniform board weighing 50 lbs, in order to keep it horizontal and stationary while it pushes against a wall at the left. If the angle the force makes is 30 degrees facing the wall, the magnitude of the applied force is?
(hint: the board is stationary and thus is in translational and rotational equilibrium.)
Answer needs to be in lbs.

Please help me, I have no idea what formula to use. My book is so crappy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in static equilibrium problems, the resultant of force and the resultant moment must be zero, therefore you have these equations to work with, in vectorial form:

[tex] \sum \vec{F} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \sum \vec{M}{o} = 0 [/tex]

where o is any point.

The answer is between 20 and 100 lbs. I'm still not sure how to apply that equation to my problem?

I suppose the problem assumes only a reaction force without the reaction moment. Remember the weight of the board is concentrated in its center of gravity which coincides which its centroid or center of mass in this case (In the case of a homogenous rod is Length/2). Now, you need to apply the moment equation with respect to the point where the board meets the Wall (where the reactions are acting at). This will cancel the x component of the applied force, because its lever arm will be 0 with respect to the point we chose.

What about the friction between the wall and the board. Or what is the thickness of the Board. If both are not given please give the drawing.

|
| F \
| \
| 30 degrees--> \
|_________________________\
|___________=______________|
| |
| |
| |
| \|/
W

the picture dosent post right for some reason the weight is actully in the middle and I drew the 30 degree angle at the end of the board. Thanks for all the help

Basicly both the friction and Normal force will be the components of the reaction force. Solve this problem by taking Moment about the wall.

[tex] \sum M_{o} = F\sin 30^{o} (L) - W(\frac{L}{2}) = 0 [/tex]

I don't know what F is so how can I use that equation?

Cyclovenom basically gave you the answer. The original question was to find F. You know W and L, so just solve the equation for F. Algebra.

Related to Equilibrium Problem: Finding the Applied Force on a Stationary Board

1. What is an equilibrium problem?

An equilibrium problem is a situation where the forces acting on a system are balanced, resulting in a state of no change. In science, this often refers to chemical or physical reactions where the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in a constant concentration of reactants and products.

2. How do you solve an equilibrium problem?

To solve an equilibrium problem, you need to set up an equilibrium expression based on the given reaction and its equilibrium constant. Then, using the initial concentrations or pressures of the reactants and products, you can determine the equilibrium concentrations or pressures using the stoichiometry of the reaction and the equilibrium expression. Finally, you can calculate the equilibrium constant to determine the extent of the reaction.

3. What factors affect equilibrium in a chemical reaction?

The factors that affect equilibrium in a chemical reaction include temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products. Changing these factors can shift the equilibrium position and alter the equilibrium constant.

4. How does Le Chatelier's principle apply to equilibrium problems?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a stress, it will shift in the direction that reduces the stress. In the context of equilibrium problems, this means that if the concentration, pressure, or temperature is changed, the equilibrium will shift to counteract the change and maintain a constant equilibrium constant.

5. What is the significance of equilibrium in chemical reactions?

Equilibrium is significant in chemical reactions because it determines the extent of the reaction and the final concentrations of products and reactants. It also allows for the production of useful products in industrial processes and maintains the stability of biological systems.