Equilibrium Question Involving boat and scale

In summary: The boat's mass is a multiple of that length, but the multiple is the same whether the length is in metres or yards or light years.
Coolcatss

Homework Statement

A trailer carrying a boat is supported by a scale which initially reads 48 kg. The boat (and therefore its centre of gravity) is moved 0.15 m further back on the trailer. The scale now reads 37 kg. Find the mass of the boat (Ignore the 6.0 m distance because it was not given and therefore is unknown.)
http://members.shaw.ca/barry-barclay/Self-Tests/test06/q15.gif

Homework Equations

ΣT=0[/B]
Initial Mass= 48 kg
Final Mass= 38 kg
unknown distance of the boat= x
Center of gravity distance= 0.15 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't know where to start with the x distance of the boat (used to be 6.0 m) in which, is needed to solve for the mass of boat. If someone can help put me on the right track, that would be awesome. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Coolcatss said:
Initial Mass= 48 kg
Final Mass= 38 kg
No, those are not masses. They are readings on the scale. What weights correspond to those readings?
Draw a free body diagram of the trailer. What forces act on it and where? (Put in unknowns as necessary.)
What torque balance equation looks useful?

I'm 8 years late here! Ha ha, great question, but without the length of the boat trailer, let's call it L, the mass of the boat would be 73.3 L. There is mention of 6 m in the original question? That's a long boat trailer, but if that's what it is, then the boat would be 440 kg.

Emcee Delta Tea said:
I'm 8 years late here! Ha ha, great question, but without the length of the boat trailer, let's call it L, the mass of the boat would be 73.3 L. There is mention of 6 m in the original question? That's a long boat trailer, but if that's what it is, then the boat would be 440 kg.
Unfortunately the diagram link no longer works. I agree with your answer, except that I would have thought it requires the boat to have been moved 0.15m closer to the tow bar, which I would have described as moving it forward, not back.

But I don't see how knowing the length of the trailer changes the answer.

1. What is the concept of equilibrium in this scenario?

The concept of equilibrium in this scenario is the state of balance or stability between the forces acting on the boat and the scale. This means that the weight of the boat is evenly distributed between the two, and there is no net force causing movement in any direction.

2. How does the weight of the boat affect the equilibrium?

The weight of the boat plays a crucial role in maintaining equilibrium. If the weight of the boat is too heavy, it will cause the scale to tip and disrupt the balance. On the other hand, if the weight is too light, the boat will not have enough force to counteract the weight on the scale and maintain equilibrium.

3. What happens if additional weight is added to the boat?

If additional weight is added to the boat, the equilibrium will be disturbed. The scale will tip towards the side with more weight, and the boat will move in the opposite direction to balance out the forces. This is because the heavier weight will exert a greater force on the scale, causing it to move.

4. How does the placement of the weight on the boat affect the equilibrium?

The placement of the weight on the boat can have a significant impact on the equilibrium. If the weight is evenly distributed on both sides of the boat, it will maintain equilibrium. However, if the weight is placed on one side, it will cause the boat to tilt and disrupt the balance.

5. What happens to the equilibrium when the boat is in motion?

When the boat is in motion, the equilibrium is temporarily disrupted. The forces acting on the boat and the scale will change, causing the boat to move in a particular direction. However, once the boat stops moving, the equilibrium will be restored as long as the weight is evenly distributed.