Equilibrium radioactive decay question

In summary, a sample of Mo-101, initially pure at time zero, beta decays to Tc-101 which then beta decays to Ru-101 (stable). The half-lives of Mo-101 and Tc-101 are assumed equal (14.4 min). After a decay period of one half-life, the number of atoms of each isotope per initial atom of Mo-101 can be calculated using the equation N(t) = N(0)* e^(-lambda*t). However, to account for the decaying Tc-101 nuclei, the differential equation for dNRu/dt must be solved with the initial condition that the number of Ru-101 atoms is zero at t=0.
nateja

Homework Statement

A sample of Mo-101, initially pure at time zero, beta decays to Tc-101 which then beta decays to Ru-101 (stable). The half-lives of Mo-101 and Tc-101 are nearly the same and for this problem are assumed equal (14.4 min). After a decay period of one half-life how many atoms of each isotope per initial atom of Mo-101 are present? This problem needs to be solved analytically with integrating factors or numerically with short time steps.

Homework Equations

N(t) = N(0)* e^(-lambda*t)
lambda = decay constant
tau = half-life = ln(2)/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was to just integrate N(0)*e^(-lambda*t) from t = 0 to t = ln(2)/14.4 (the half-life) and then repeat the same process to get the number for Ru-101. I realized this was incorrect because A) the percent was really really small for both isotopes and B) this did not account for the fact that the Tc-101 nuclei were decaying at the same times the Mo-101 nuclei were decaying so I think i'd have to calculate them simultaneously... not sure how to do that though.

I am reading up on my integrating factors and equilibrium calculations so I will be back with a better approach in an hour or so.

Physics news on Phys.org
nateja said:

Homework Statement

A sample of Mo-101, initially pure at time zero, beta decays to Tc-101 which then beta decays to Ru-101 (stable). The half-lives of Mo-101 and Tc-101 are nearly the same and for this problem are assumed equal (14.4 min). After a decay period of one half-life how many atoms of each isotope per initial atom of Mo-101 are present? This problem needs to be solved analytically with integrating factors or numerically with short time steps.

Homework Equations

N(t) = N(0)* e^(-lambda*t)
lambda = decay constant
tau = half-life = ln(2)/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was to just integrate N(0)*e^(-lambda*t) from t = 0 to t = ln(2)/14.4 (the half-life) and then repeat the same process to get the number for Ru-101. I realized this was incorrect because A) the percent was really really small for both isotopes and B) this did not account for the fact that the Tc-101 nuclei were decaying at the same times the Mo-101 nuclei were decaying so I think i'd have to calculate them simultaneously... not sure how to do that though.

I am reading up on my integrating factors and equilibrium calculations so I will be back with a better approach in an hour or so.

The number of atoms of a decaying isotope is N(t) = N(0)* e^(-lambda*t). You get the number of Mo atoms by substituting t=14.4 minutes (half life-time). No need to integrate further. "t = ln(2)/14.4" is not time.
The number NRu of Ru-101 atoms increases in the rate as the Mo-101 decays, and decreases because its own decay. Write up the equation for dNRu/dt. Remember, the number of atoms decayed in dt time is λN. You have to solve the differential equation with the initial condition that the number of Ru atoms is zero at t=0.

ehild

Last edited:
Note, that you have one isotope that decays into another, which in turn decays. This means your formula is incorrect as it does not include the fact that there are daughter and grand-daughter isotopes. (Chapter 6 - Attix)

1. How does radioactive decay work?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, such as alpha particles, beta particles, or gamma rays. This process eventually transforms the unstable nucleus into a more stable one.

2. What is the half-life of a radioactive substance?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. This is a constant value for a specific radioactive substance and can range from fractions of a second to billions of years.

3. How is the rate of radioactive decay measured?

The rate of radioactive decay is measured by the number of decays that occur per unit of time, usually measured in becquerels (Bq). One becquerel is equal to one decay per second.

4. Can the rate of radioactive decay be affected by external factors?

No, the rate of radioactive decay is a constant process that is not influenced by external factors such as temperature, pressure, or chemical reactions. However, it can be affected by changes in the nucleus itself, such as through nuclear reactions.

5. How is the concept of equilibrium related to radioactive decay?

In terms of radioactive decay, equilibrium refers to the balance between the rate of decay and the rate of production of the radioactive substance. When equilibrium is reached, the amount of radioactive substance remains constant over time, as the rate of decay is equal to the rate of production.