Equilibrium Solutions and General Form of Tsunami Model | Separable Diff EQ Work

In summary: Is that right?In summary, the conversation discusses a model for the shape of a tsunami and finding equilibrium solutions and the general form of the equation. The equilibrium solutions are W=0 and W=2, and the general form of the equation is W(x) = 2-2arctanh^2(-x+C). The problem also suggests using graphing software to sketch the direction field and solutions satisfying the initial condition W(0) = 2. The sketch shows that W=2 is a horizontal straight line and W=0 is not a real number. The conversation also discusses the stability of the equilibrium solutions, with W=2 being locally asymptotically stable and W=0 being unstable.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A model for the shape of a tsunami is given by

[itex]\frac{dW}{dx} = W\sqrt{4-2W}[/itex]

where W(x) > 0 is the height of the wave expressed as a function of its position relative to a point off-shore.

Find the equilibrium solutions, and find the general form of the equation. Use graphing software to graph the direction field, and sketch all solutions that satisfy the initial condition W(0) = 2.

Homework Equations

[itex]\int \frac{dy}{y\sqrt{4-2y}} = -tanh(\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{4-2y})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm pretty sure the equilibrium solutions are w = 0,2

but i have never seen or used hyperbolic trig functions, so I guess I was just wondering if they work the same way as regular trig functions.

It doesn't seem hard, I guess I would just like someone to verify my answer for the general form:

[itex]W(x) = 2-2arctanh^2(-x+C)[/itex]

If anyone gets anything different let me know and I can show my work, thanks.

As for the sketching, as far as I can tell W(any x)=2 is a horizontal straight line, which seems pretty boring to sketch...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the equilibrium solutions are W= 0 and W= 2. And, yes, W= 2 is a pretty boring graph! As is W= 0. But what happens for other values of W? The problem suggests you use graphing software but a rough sketch of the direction fields is not difficult.

If W< 0, [itex]\sqrt{4- 2W}[itex] is positive so the product, [itex]W\sqrt{4- 2W}[/itex] is negative. If 0< W< 2, W is positive, [itex]\sqrt{4- 2W}[/itex] is still positive so [itex]W\sqrt{4- 2W}[/itex] is positive. If W> 2, 4- 2W< 0 so [itex]\sqrt{4- 2W}[/itex] is not a real number.

Interesting, I would've been confused if I didn't have the software, but your method makes a lot of sense. So then, W=2 is locally asymptotically stable, and W=0 would be unstable.

Related to Equilibrium Solutions and General Form of Tsunami Model | Separable Diff EQ Work

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and independent variable can be separated on opposite sides of the equation. This allows for the equation to be solved in a step-by-step manner by integrating each side separately.

2. How do I know if a differential equation is separable?

A differential equation is separable if it can be written in the form dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) is a function of x and g(y) is a function of y. This indicates that the variables can be separated on opposite sides of the equation.

3. What is the general process for solving a separable differential equation?

The general process for solving a separable differential equation involves separating the variables, integrating each side separately, and then solving for the constant of integration. This will give the general solution to the differential equation. Additional initial conditions can be used to find a particular solution.

4. Can a separable differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a separable differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the constant of integration can take on different values, resulting in different solutions. However, each solution must satisfy the original differential equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of separable differential equations?

Separable differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model various physical processes. Some examples include population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. They are also used in economics to model growth and decay of resources over time.