Equivalence relation demonstration - confirmation needed, please.

In summary, the author was trying to show that row equivalence is an equivalence relation by proving that it is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive.
mathstudent79

Homework Statement

'Show that row equivalence is an equivalence relation'.

Homework Equations

The definition for 'row equivalence' given in the text is,

'two augmented matrices corresponding to linear systems that actually have solutions, are said to be (row) equivalent if they have the same solutions'.

The Attempt at a Solution

To show an equivalence relation, one must show reflexivity, symmetry and transitivity.

reflexivity:

any augmented matrix x clearly has the same solution set as itself.

symmetry:

Suppose that augmented matrices x and y are row equivalent. Then x and y have the same solution, by our definition. If x and y have the same solution, then y and x have the same solution, so y is also equivalent to x.

transitivity:

Suppose that we have augmented matrices x, y and z. And suppose that x is row equivalent to y, and y is row equivalent to z. Then, by definition, x and y have the same solution, and y and z have the same solution. Since x and y and z have the same solution, then x and z have the same solution. Therefore, x is row equivalent to z.

So my question is: did I do this correctly?

(NB: After doing this, I found a few proofs for this statement, which were rather elegant, but which involved inverse notation, or other notation which has not yet been presented in the book I'm going through. All that has been presented is row operations, Gaussian elim and the rather intuitive definition of row equivalence quoted above. I'm trying to 'show' the equivalence relation in terms of what I've been given so far. Thanks for any help!).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine.

I suppose if you wanted to, you could be more formal about what it means to say that two systems have the same solutions.

vela,

thank you VERY MUCH.

I will re-write it,making the adjustment that you suggest.

thanks again!

have a great day.

Related to Equivalence relation demonstration - confirmation needed, please.

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two elements or objects that have similar characteristics or properties.

2. How is an equivalence relation demonstrated?

An equivalence relation is demonstrated by showing that it satisfies three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. This means that for any given elements a, b, and c in the relation, a is related to itself (reflexivity), if a is related to b then b is also related to a (symmetry), and if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is related to c (transitivity).

3. Why is confirmation needed for an equivalence relation demonstration?

Confirmation is needed to ensure that the relation truly satisfies all three properties of an equivalence relation. This helps to verify that the relation is valid and can be used in further mathematical proofs or applications.

4. Can you give an example of an equivalence relation?

One example of an equivalence relation is the relation of equality between two integers. This relation satisfies all three properties: any integer is equal to itself (reflexivity), if one integer is equal to another then the other integer is also equal to the first (symmetry), and if one integer is equal to another and that integer is equal to a third integer, then the first and third integers are also equal (transitivity).

5. How is an equivalence relation different from other types of relations?

An equivalence relation is different from other types of relations because it must satisfy all three properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Other types of relations may only satisfy one or two of these properties, making them less strict and versatile in mathematical proofs and applications.