Equivalence relation on the Cartesian plane

In summary, the relation p defined on R^2 by (a, b)p (c, d) if a+d=b+c is an equivalence relation as it is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. Its equivalence classes can be geometrically described as straight lines with slope 1 on the Cartesian plane. Additionally, this same equivalence relation can be used to define the integers on positive integers, with the equivalence class [(x, y)] defining "x- y".
dndod1

Homework Statement

A relation p is defined on R^2 (fancy R, as in Reals) by (a,b)p (c,d) if a+d=b+c
Show that p is an equivalence relation.

b) Consider R^2 to be the Cartesian Plane. Describe p's equivalence classes geometrically. (Consider which points will be in the particular equivalence classes by taking an arbitrary point in the same equivalence class as (x,y). )

I have done part a. In part b I only got as far as drawing the Cartesian axes and a table of values. I'll show you below. I think that I have not made enough of a start for you to be able to give me a clue, but I thought you might be able to point me in the direction of a book that would cover this. I am finding my course really hard because I am studying by distance education and we don't have a textbook. When I browse through the library I am not finding anything that quite fits my course. Direction to an online resource would be particulary good or a textbook that you think would be readily available at my university library.

Homework Equations

To be an equivalence relation, p must be reflexive symmetric and transitive. I have shown all that.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew up a list of values
a b c d
1 2 1 2
4 3 3 2
1 2 2 3
-1 0 1 2

I did about 30 so that I had a really good idea of what was happening.
What I figured out:
Points on line y=x+1 map to (1,2)
Points on line y=x+2 map to (1,3)
Points on line y=x+3 map to (1,4)
etcetera

I discovered that I couldn't draw it on the Cartesian axes. Am I meant to be able to?

I don't even understand if "decribe p's eqivalence classes geometrically" means I am meant to draw or use words.

I have been puzzling over this one for about a month now.
Any clues you can give me to point me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated I assure you.
Many thanks is anticipation.

Physics news on Phys.org
(a, b) p (c, d) if and only if a+ d= b+ c. Since you are talking about the Cartesian plane, it might help to use (x, y) and (x', y') instead. x+ y= x'+ y' is the same as y- y'= x- x' or (y- y')/(x- x')= 1. That gives exactly the result you talk about. An equivalence class is a straight line with slope 1.

By the way, this same equivalence relation can be used to define the integers given on the positive integers (counting numbers). If x> y and (x, y)p (x', y') then it must be true that x'> y' and, in fact, x'- y'= x- y. So we can think of the equivalence class [(x, y)] as defining "x- y". For x> y, of course, that is just a positive integer but if x= y and (x, y) p (x', y') then x'= y' and we can think of the equivalence class as defining "0". Similarly, if x< y and (x', y')p (x, y), x'< y' and we can think of the equivalence class as defining the negative integer x- y= -(y- x).

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated!

Related to Equivalence relation on the Cartesian plane

What is an equivalence relation on the Cartesian plane?

An equivalence relation on the Cartesian plane is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between pairs of points or objects on the plane. It is a way of categorizing elements into different groups based on certain criteria.

What are the properties of an equivalence relation on the Cartesian plane?

An equivalence relation on the Cartesian plane must have three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Reflexivity means that every element is related to itself. Symmetry means that if one element is related to another, then the other is also related to the first. Transitivity means that if one element is related to a second and the second is related to a third, then the first is also related to the third.

How is an equivalence relation on the Cartesian plane represented?

An equivalence relation on the Cartesian plane is often represented using a directed graph or a table. In a directed graph, the elements are represented as points and the relationships between them are represented as arrows. In a table, the elements are listed in rows and columns, and the relationships are indicated by the presence or absence of a symbol in each cell.

What are some examples of equivalence relations on the Cartesian plane?

Some examples of equivalence relations on the Cartesian plane include: points that are equidistant from a given point, points that are on the same line, points that are on the same circle, and points that are reflections of each other across a line.

How are equivalence relations on the Cartesian plane used in real life?

Equivalence relations on the Cartesian plane are used in various fields, such as computer science, economics, and physics. In computer science, they are used in data structures and algorithms to efficiently organize and search for information. In economics, they are used to model consumer preferences and market demand. In physics, they are used to represent symmetries and conserved quantities in physical systems.