Equivalent length of of column ?

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the load capacity of a mild steel column with a 100 mm by 50 mm cross section and a safety factor of 6. However, there seems to be confusion regarding the formula to be used as well as the need for a length and boundary conditions for the column. Further clarification is needed to determine the exact requirements for solving the problem.
rad10k
Equivalent length of of column ??

Homework Statement

A Mild steel column has a cross section of 100 mm by 50 mm . Assuming a safety factor of 6 calculate the load that it can safely support?

Homework Equations

Rankines formula : W = Oc/K[1+a(AEe^2/I]

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is with Ee = Equivalent length of column in millimetres

How do I find this value as the question does not give a length?

Thanks for any advice

Physics news on Phys.org
rad10k: I think you cannot solve this if no column length is given. You also need boundary conditions to be given. Are you sure no length is given? If you are sure no length is given, then perhaps the only thing you could do is, assume Ee is a variable, and obtain W as a function of Ee, which would be a curve.

Yes the question is an exact copy . I spoke to my tutor who informed me that I do not need a length for short columns so maybe I am trying to used the wrong formula for which Eulers formula also asks for Ee so I can't use that. The only other formula I know of is the straight line formula but for that you need to be given the end conditions ie. pin ends .

No, even short columns need a length, and boundary conditions. Something seems amiss.

Maybe all that is being asked for is the squash load from f=P/A. Who says that Rankine's formula is relevant?

Nobody I was just just going to use that. I think I need to go get clarification on what exactly the question is asking for. thanks

Related to Equivalent length of of column ?

What is the "equivalent length" of a column?

The "equivalent length" of a column refers to the length of a column that would experience the same buckling behavior as the actual column under the same loading conditions.

Why is the equivalent length of a column important?

The equivalent length of a column is important because it helps engineers and scientists determine the strength and stability of a column under different loading conditions. It allows for more accurate analysis and design of structures.

How is the equivalent length of a column calculated?

The equivalent length of a column can be calculated using various equations, depending on the type of column and loading conditions. Some common methods include the Euler formula, the Johnson formula, and the Perry-Robertson formula.

What factors affect the equivalent length of a column?

The equivalent length of a column is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the column, the shape and cross-sectional area of the column, and the type and magnitude of the applied load.

What are some applications of the concept of equivalent length in engineering?

The concept of equivalent length is widely used in structural engineering, specifically in the design of columns, beams, and other load-bearing structures. It is also used in other fields, such as fluid mechanics, to calculate the effective length of pipes and other structural components.