Ergodic Induced Transformations

In summary: Your name]In summary, the poster is seeking help to show that if T_A is ergodic, then T must also be ergodic. The approach suggested is to use the definition of ergodicity and the fact that T_A is induced by T. By showing that any measurable set B in \mathcal{B} that satisfies T(B) = B must also satisfy T_A(B) = B, it can be concluded that T is also ergodic.
Juanriq

Homework Statement

Salutations, all. I'm trying to show that if [itex] T_A [/itex] is ergodic, then so is [itex] T [/itex]. This was an iff, and I have the other inplication. I'm a little lost with how to proceed, so any help would be appreciated!

Homework Equations

[itex] T(X, \mathcal{B}, m)[/itex] to itself is an invertible measure preserving transformation of a probabilitiy space. Also, [itex]T_A: (A, \mathcal{B}|A, m|a ) [/itex] to itself is the induced transformation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track, but [itex] T_A [/itex] is the set of minimum iteration which bring us back to [itex]A[/itex]. Also, if it is ergodic, it can't be decomposed into sets of measure 0 or 1. So if we iterate ourselves further [itex]r_A [/itex] (the minimum distance to get back to A) then we are going to still have an ergodic set. Since [itex] A \subset \mathcal{B} [/itex], then [itex] T [/itex] must be ergodic as well since we can't have an ergodic and a non-ergodic subset.

Does this make any sense? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your approach seems to be on the right track. To show that T is ergodic, we can use the definition of ergodicity: for any measurable set B in the probability space, if T(B) = B, then the measure of B must be either 0 or 1.

Since T_A is ergodic, it means that for any measurable set B in A, if T_A(B) = B, then the measure of B must be either 0 or 1. Now, since A is a subset of \mathcal{B}, we can say that for any measurable set B in \mathcal{B}, if T_A(B) = B, then the measure of B must be either 0 or 1.

But since T_A is induced by T, it follows that for any measurable set B in \mathcal{B}, if T(B) = B, then the measure of B must be either 0 or 1. This shows that T is also ergodic, as any set B in \mathcal{B} that satisfies T(B) = B must also satisfy T_A(B) = B.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your work!

Related to Ergodic Induced Transformations

1. What is an ergodic induced transformation?

An ergodic induced transformation is a mathematical concept used in the field of dynamical systems. It refers to a transformation that preserves the ergodic property, which means that the system has the same average behavior over time regardless of its initial state.

2. What is the significance of ergodic induced transformations?

Ergodic induced transformations are important because they allow us to study the long-term behavior of a system without needing to know its exact initial conditions. This makes it easier to analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

3. How are ergodic induced transformations used in physics?

In physics, ergodic induced transformations are commonly used to study the behavior of chaotic systems, such as weather patterns or fluid dynamics. They also have applications in statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and other areas of physics.

4. Can ergodic induced transformations be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, ergodic induced transformations can be applied to real-world systems as long as they exhibit ergodic behavior. This includes systems in nature, such as the Earth's climate, as well as man-made systems, such as financial markets.

5. Are there any limitations to using ergodic induced transformations?

One limitation of ergodic induced transformations is that they only apply to systems that are ergodic, meaning that they have a fixed average behavior over time. This may not be the case for all systems, especially those that are highly nonlinear or unpredictable.