Error Bounds for derivative estimation

In summary: No, not that I am aware of. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "a forward difference"?It stays in the interval used in the derivative estimation. So, if you use a forward difference f'(x) \approx \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h} you would have y in [x,x+h]. If you use a central difference f'(x) \approx \frac{f(x+h) - f(x-h)}{2h} you would have y in [x-h,x+h], etc. Didn't your textbook or course notes discuss this?No, not that I am
renolovexoxo
So we are estimated derivatives using a three point formula in class and the giving bounds for the error. I was given a table of x1=1.1, x2=1.2, x3=1.3, x4=1.4. I have to find an error bound to estimate the error for x=1.1 and 1.3 for f(x)=ex

In class we did x=1.1 as follows

error<=(h2/3)eg(x) for some g between (1.1, 1.3)
error<=(h2/3)e1.3
I understand all of this, except why it is between 1.1 and 1.3. I went to do the x3 error bound, and I wasn't sure what to choose for my upper bound. She added 2h to it, so would I use 1.5, even though it's not in my table?

Physics news on Phys.org
renolovexoxo said:
So we are estimated derivatives using a three point formula in class and the giving bounds for the error. I was given a table of x1=1.1, x2=1.2, x3=1.3, x4=1.4. I have to find an error bound to estimate the error for x=1.1 and 1.3 for f(x)=ex

In class we did x=1.1 as follows

error<=(h2/3)eg(x) for some g between (1.1, 1.3)
error<=(h2/3)e1.3
I understand all of this, except why it is between 1.1 and 1.3. I went to do the x3 error bound, and I wasn't sure what to choose for my upper bound. She added 2h to it, so would I use 1.5, even though it's not in my table?

Do you mean ex? You can type that either as e^x or use the "X2" button in the menu at the top of the input panel. Also: you write "error<=(h2/3)eg(x)". That could mean several things (and I truly do not know which you intend). It could mean:
[tex] (1) \frac{2}{3}h e g(x),\\
(2) \frac{h^2}{3} e g(x),\\
(3) \frac{2}{3} h e^{g x}.\\
(4) \frac{h^2}{3} e^{g x}.
[/tex]
In plain text you could write the first as (2/3)*h* e*g(x), the second as (h^2 /3)*e*g(x), the third as (2/3)*h*e^(g x) and the fourth as (h^2 /3) * e^(g x); or, you could use the "X2" button to get (2/3)*h*e*g(x), (h2/3)*e*g(x), (2/3)*h*egx and (h2/3)*egx.

RGV

I'm sorry, I meant e^x, I copied it from somewhere else and didn't catch the format change. I'm sorry about that!
I want to know (h^2)/3 * e^x, so the error was defined by h^2/3 * e^1.3

renolovexoxo said:
I'm sorry, I meant e^x, I copied it from somewhere else and didn't catch the format change. I'm sorry about that!
I want to know (h^2)/3 * e^x, so the error was defined by h^2/3 * e^1.3

The actual error will have the form (h^2)/3 * exp(y), for some y between 1.1 and 1.3, so--of course--the maximum possible error is obtained if we take the largest possible value of exp(y), which means taking the largest possible y; that is, y = 1.3. Is that what is bothering you?

RGV

No, It is when I move to evaluate it for x=1.3. I was given x values for 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4. When I evaluate 1.3, what is the range of possible y values that I can consider? Does it stay between (1.1, 1.3) or do I move to include the points I used in my derivative estimation?

renolovexoxo said:
No, It is when I move to evaluate it for x=1.3. I was given x values for 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4. When I evaluate 1.3, what is the range of possible y values that I can consider? Does it stay between (1.1, 1.3) or do I move to include the points I used in my derivative estimation?

It stays in the interval used in the derivative estimation. So, if you use a forward difference
[tex] f'(x) \approx \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}[/tex] you would have y in [x,x+h]. If you use a central difference
[tex] f'(x) \approx \frac{f(x+h) - f(x-h)}{2h}[/tex] you would have y in [x-h,x+h], etc. Didn't your textbook or course notes discuss this?

RGV

What is the purpose of error bounds for derivative estimation?

Error bounds for derivative estimation are used to determine the accuracy and reliability of numerical methods for approximating the derivative of a function. They provide a range of values within which the true derivative is expected to fall, taking into account the errors introduced by the numerical method.

How are error bounds for derivative estimation calculated?

Error bounds are typically calculated using mathematical formulas that take into account the properties of the function being differentiated and the numerical method being used. These formulas can vary depending on the specific method and the level of precision required.

What factors can affect the accuracy of error bounds for derivative estimation?

The accuracy of error bounds can be affected by several factors, including the choice of numerical method, the level of precision required, and the properties of the function being differentiated. Additionally, errors can be introduced due to round-off errors, truncation errors, and other sources of numerical error.

Are there any limitations to using error bounds for derivative estimation?

While error bounds can provide valuable information about the accuracy of derivative approximations, they are limited by the assumptions and simplifications made in their calculations. They may not accurately reflect the true error in all cases and should be used with caution.

How can error bounds for derivative estimation be helpful in real-world applications?

Error bounds can be useful for determining the reliability of numerical methods in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics. They can also be used in optimization problems to ensure that the derivative estimates are accurate enough for the desired level of precision.