Error in Carroll's Spacetime Geometry?

In summary, Carroll explains that the minus sign in the equation \delta g_{\mu\nu}=-g_{\mu\rho}g_{\nu\sigma}\delta g^{\rho\sigma} is necessary due to the special status of the metric in index gymnastics notation. When both sides of the equation \delta^\alpha_\beta = g^{\alpha \mu} g_{\mu \beta} are varied, the variations of δgμν and gμνgνσ are not equivalent, leading to a notational conflict. Therefore, they must be defined using different names, Aμν and Bμν, respectively.
dEdt
On page 161 of Carroll's Spacetime and Geometry, Carroll writes that
[tex]\delta g_{\mu\nu}=-g_{\mu\rho}g_{\nu\sigma}\delta g^{\rho\sigma}.[/tex]
##\delta g_{\alpha \beta}## denotes an arbitrary, infinitesimal variation of the metric.

Why is there a minus sign? By the regular rules of raising and lowering indices, shouldn't it just be
[tex]\delta g_{\mu\nu}=g_{\mu\rho}g_{\nu\sigma}\delta g^{\rho\sigma}?[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, he's correct. The easiest way to see it is to vary the Kronecker delta, δμσ = gμνgνσ. You get

0 = (δgμν)gνσ + gμν(δgνσ)

from which the minus sign.

Likes 1 person
What happens when both sides of ##\delta^\alpha_\beta = g^{\alpha \mu} g_{\mu \beta}## are varied?

Likes 1 person
As a concrete example, say the metric starts out as [itex]g_{\mu\nu}=\operatorname{diag}(1,-1)[/itex], and then we change it to [itex]g'_{\mu\nu}=\operatorname{diag}(1+\epsilon,-1)[/itex]. Inverting the matrix to find the upper-index versions, we have [itex]g^{\mu\nu}=\operatorname{diag}(1,-1)[/itex] and [itex]g'^{\mu\nu}=\operatorname{diag}(1-\epsilon,-1)[/itex] (neglecting terms of order ε2). So [itex]\delta g_{\mu\nu}=\operatorname{diag}(\epsilon,0)[/itex] and [itex]\delta g^{\mu\nu}=\operatorname{diag}(-\epsilon,0)[/itex]. Clearly the minus sign is right. Raising an index would have given [itex]\delta g^{\mu\nu}=\operatorname{diag}(+\epsilon,0)[/itex], which is wrong.

What's less obvious to me is where the red flag should have gone up to warn me that I couldn't raise the index on [itex]\delta g[/itex]. I suppose this is because the metric has special status in index gymnastics notation. When we change the metric, we're also, as a side-effect, changing the piece of apparatus that we use for raising and lowering indices. If it had not been for this fact, then it would have seemed logical to me to argue that the difference of two tensors should be a tensor, and that we should therefore be able to raise and lower its indices as usual.

Am I right in thinking that the difference between two metrics is *not* a tensor, for these reasons?

George Jones said:
What happens when both sides of ##\delta^\alpha_\beta = g^{\alpha \mu} g_{\mu \beta}## are varied?
You get what I wrote. The variation of δμσ is zero, and the variation of gμνgνσ is (δgμν)gνσ + gμν(δgνσ)

bcrowell said:
What's less obvious to me is where the red flag should have gone up to warn me that I couldn't raise the index on [itex]\delta g[/itex].

I'm thinking the problem is this: If we have a tensor ##A_{\alpha\beta}##, we can define the tensor ##A^{\alpha\beta}=g^{\alpha\gamma}g^{\beta\delta}A_{\gamma\delta}##. But when we're dealing with the tensor ##\delta g_{\alpha\beta}##, we can't just define ##\delta g^{\alpha\beta}=g^{\alpha\gamma}g^{\beta\delta}\delta g_{\gamma\delta}## because we have an independent definition for ##\delta g^{\alpha \beta}## in terms of the variation of the inverse metric, and these two definitions may not be identical (indeed they're not).

Maybe another way of putting it is that the inverse of the infinitesimal variation of the metric does not equal the infinitesimal variation of the inverse metric.

dEdt said:
Maybe another way of putting it is that the inverse of the infinitesimal variation of the metric does not equal the infinitesimal variation of the inverse metric.
That's what I would say. δgμν and δgμν are both tensors, but they're not the same tensor, they differ by a sign.

Bill_K said:
George Jones said:
You get what I wrote. The variation of δμσ is zero, and the variation of gμνgνσ is (δgμν)gνσ + gμν(δgνσ)

Note the almost simultaneous timings of our two posts. When I started typing, you had not posted. I phrased my post as a question in order to try and get dEdt to work things out.

Bill_K said:
That's what I would say. δgμν and δgμν are both tensors, but they're not the same tensor, they differ by a sign.

Which I guess means that it's a case where index gymnastics notation doesn't quite work as nicely as it usually does.

bcrowell said:
Which I guess means that it's a case where index gymnastics notation doesn't quite work as nicely as it usually does.
It's a notational conflict, trying to use the same name for two different objects. You can define Aμν = δgμν and raise its indices the usual way to get Aμν. And you can define Bμν = δgμν, and even lower its indices if you like, but Aμν and Bμν aren't the same object, they need to be called by different names.

What is Carroll's Spacetime Geometry?

Carroll's Spacetime Geometry is a mathematical framework proposed by physicist Sean Carroll to describe the structure and dynamics of spacetime, specifically in the context of general relativity and cosmology.

What is meant by "error" in Carroll's Spacetime Geometry?

The term "error" in this context refers to a flaw or inaccuracy in the mathematical equations or assumptions used in Carroll's Spacetime Geometry. This error was identified by physicist George Ellis and has sparked debates and further research in the field of cosmology.

How significant is this error in Carroll's Spacetime Geometry?

The significance of this error is still being debated and researched. Some experts argue that it could have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe, while others believe it may not have a major effect on current theories and models.

Has this error been resolved or corrected?

The resolution of this error is still ongoing, with various theories and proposals being put forth to address it. Some researchers have suggested modifications to Carroll's original equations, while others propose alternative theories of gravity.

What implications does this error have for our understanding of the universe?

If the error in Carroll's Spacetime Geometry is confirmed and not resolved, it could potentially require a re-evaluation of our current theories and models of the universe. It could also lead to new insights and discoveries in the field of cosmology and gravity.