Error in my textbook? scientific notation conversion

In summary, the textbook gives the answer of 1.44x10^17 seconds for the Earth's formation. However, if you convert this to scientific notation, you get the same answer of 1.44x10^17 seconds.
ikihi

Homework Statement

The question is: The Earth formed 4.57 x 10^9 years ago. What is this time in seconds?

The answer the textbook is giving is 1.44x10^17 seconds. The answer I keep getting is 1.44x10^15 seconds. Is the textbook wrong or am i wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ikihi said:

Homework Statement

The question is: The Earth formed 4.57 x 10^9. What is this time in seconds?

The answer the textbook is giving is 1.44x10^17 seconds. The answer I keep getting is 1.44x10^15 seconds. Is the textbook wrong or am i wrong?

Looks like the textbook is correct. Show your work.

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
Looks like the textbook is correct. Show your work.

Whoops! I was multiplying 4.57x10^7 instead of the given 4.57x10^9. I think I got it now.

I was wondering though. What is the correct way of setting up this problem. I went ahead and expanded 4.57x10^9 years into 4,570,000,000 years.

Next I did unit conversion to go from years to seconds. I got 525,600 minutes in 1 year and 60 seconds in one minute. Then I multiplied 4,570,000,000 and 525,600 and 60 to get the full time in seconds. The answer comes to 1.44x10^17 rounded for 3 sig figs.

However I noticed that I could convert back to scientific notation and get the same answer. I changed 525,600 min to 5.256x10^5 min and 60 seconds to 6x10^1 seconds.

Then I multiplied together (4.57x10^9) years (5.256x10^5) min. (6x10^1)seconds
=(4.57x10^9) x (5.257x10^5) x (6x10^1) = 1.44x10^17 (the same answer)

My question is that is it necessary to change into those large numbers, or is there an easier way to do it.

Last edited:
You can leave everything in scientific notation or mix and match as desired. A change of notation doesn't change the value of a number.

You may find it helpful to set up the sequence of conversions as a series of multiplications by 1:

$$4.57x10^7\;yr \times \frac{365.25 days}{yr} \times \frac{24hr}{day} \times \frac{60 min}{hr} \times ...$$
Note that each fraction is equivalent to unity, with the numerator and denominator being equal to the same thing in different units. Note how the units cancel as the sequence progresses, eventually leaving you with just the units you were after.

If your calculator is in scientific notation mode, multiplying a number in scientific notation by another number not in scientific notation will return a result in scientific notation. It's often easier to carry around numbers in that format, particularly when only a few significant digits are required.

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
You can leave everything in scientific notation or mix and match as desired. A change of notation doesn't change the value of a number.

You may find it helpful to set up the sequence of conversions as a series of multiplications by 1:

$$4.57x10^7\;yr \times \frac{365.25 days}{yr} \times \frac{24hr}{day} \times \frac{60 min}{hr} \times ...$$
Note that each fraction is equivalent to unity, with the numerator and denominator being equal to the same thing in different units. Note how the units cancel as the sequence progresses, eventually leaving you with just the units you were after.

If your calculator is in scientific notation mode, multiplying a number in scientific notation by another number not in scientific notation will return a result in scientific notation. It's often easier to carry around numbers in that format, particularly when only a few significant digits are required.

Hmm I see. I think my problem was that I skipped steps on the conversion part from years to seconds and got confused. I went from years to minutes instead of going in order from years to days to hours to seconds.

And I didn't realize I could just enter that into my calculator and I would get the answer that quick. (4.57X10^9)(365.25)(24)(60)(60)= 1.44x10^17 seconds.

Thankyou.

Last edited:
Also, one day = 86400 seconds, so if you remember that, just multiply it times 365.25.

Likes 1 person

Related to Error in my textbook? scientific notation conversion

1. Why do I need to convert numbers to scientific notation?

Converting numbers to scientific notation is useful when dealing with very large or very small numbers. It allows for easier representation and comparison of these numbers in a concise and standardized format.

2. How do I convert a number to scientific notation?

To convert a number to scientific notation, move the decimal point to the left or right until there is only one non-zero digit to the left of the decimal. Count the number of places you moved the decimal and this number will be your exponent. The remaining digits will be the coefficient. Remember to include the appropriate power of 10 in your final answer.

3. What is the purpose of the exponent in scientific notation?

The exponent in scientific notation represents the number of times the decimal point was moved to create the number. It indicates the size of the number and allows for easy comparison and calculation with other numbers in scientific notation.

4. Is scientific notation the same as standard form?

No, scientific notation and standard form are not the same. In standard form, a number is written as a single digit followed by a decimal and then the appropriate number of zeros. In scientific notation, a number is written as a coefficient multiplied by 10 raised to a certain power, representing the number's magnitude.

5. Can you convert a number from scientific notation back to standard form?

Yes, you can convert a number from scientific notation back to standard form by moving the decimal point the number of places indicated by the exponent and removing the power of 10. If the exponent is negative, you will move the decimal to the left, and if the exponent is positive, you will move the decimal to the right.