Error in Y-intercept, Least-square+Excel=True?

• Thread starter PhysJs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary: I'm not sure if this is a bug or what, but it's confusing as heck.In summary, the error of the y-intercept and gradient of a fitted line is dependent on the error in the x values.
PhysJs

Homework Statement

What is the error of the y-intercept and gradient of a fitted line? The line is fitted to some number of data points each with a known error in the x and y values.

More specifically, I have fitted a linear equation to some data points using Microsoft Excel LINEST, and the error given does not seem satisfactory.

Homework Equations

As far as I know Excel uses the method of least squares.
The specific procedure used in Excel is:
1) Select 4 cells
2) Use =LINEST([],[],1,1)
3)Press shift+ctrl+enter, 4 values pop out, 1 for y-intercept, 1 for x -intercept, and a cell for an error of each the y-intercept and x-intercept

The Attempt at a Solution

I have fitted a linear equation to some data points using Microsoft Excel LINEST function according to specified procedure. Only the values of x,y have to be given, Exccel doesn't seem to need to know the error in the data points.

Excel gives an 'error', but it seems to me that the given error does not depend on the errors of the data points, which seems counter intuitive. Surely if the errors on my data points were greater, the error in my gradient could be more. Thinking in pictures, if my data points had wider error bars in the y-direction, the linear line would be able to angle up and down with freedom, showing potential value the gradient can take.

This is confusing, not sure if I can trust Excel entirely. Is it somekind of mathematical reasoning that eliminates the dependence of the calculated gradient and y-intercept from the errors in the data points?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mention uncertainty in the x values. Most stats methods assume the x values are exact, so compute regression of y wrt x.
From the residual error in the y values, the package can estimate an error in the slope and y-intercept. (Are you sure it's giving you an x-intercept error, and not a slope error?)
I don't know whether there's a fancier function that will allow you to specify error bars for the data. You could fudge it by turning each data point into several scattered around the actual datapoint. You would scatter the extra datapoints according to the known error range for the data.

Ok, it appears I given an incorrect description:
The package returns an error in slope and y-intercept in addition to the values of the slope and y-intercept. It does not give an x-intercept. Will edit the original post.

All resources I found so far, just seem to take the error of the slope given by the package regardless of the errors in the y-values.

1. What is the Y-intercept in a least-squares regression?

The Y-intercept in a least-squares regression is the point where the regression line crosses the Y-axis. It represents the value of the dependent variable when all independent variables are equal to zero.

2. What does it mean if there is an error in the Y-intercept in a least-squares regression?

If there is an error in the Y-intercept in a least-squares regression, it means that the regression line does not accurately represent the relationship between the independent and dependent variables. This could be due to incorrect data, a poor model fit, or other factors.

3. How is the Y-intercept calculated in a least-squares regression using Excel?

In Excel, the Y-intercept in a least-squares regression can be calculated using the formula =INTERCEPT(dependent variable, independent variable). This will return the Y-intercept value for the regression line.

4. Is it possible to have a negative Y-intercept in a least-squares regression?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative Y-intercept in a least-squares regression. This simply means that the regression line crosses the Y-axis below zero, which is a valid result depending on the data and model being used.

5. How can I interpret the Y-intercept in a least-squares regression?

The Y-intercept in a least-squares regression can be interpreted as the starting point or baseline value for the dependent variable. It can also indicate the value of the dependent variable when all independent variables are equal to zero. However, it is important to consider the context and limitations of the data and model when interpreting the Y-intercept.