Error source of SHM experiment

In summary: I took about 7 measurements (time taken for 3 oscillations) for each mass and calculated the average value.The graph looks like a very nice fit.
smokedvanilla

Homework Statement

Investigating the effect of mass on the period of oscillation.

This experiment is about SHM of a floating cylinder, and the theory is explained in this website:
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/64154/shm-of-floating-objects

Also, I'm attaching a diagram of my experimental setup. (x is the displacement of the cylinder under water)

Homework Equations

Buoyant force acting on the cylinder, F=Vρg=Axρg
As Newton's second law states that F=ma, a=-Axρg/m
Since a is directly proportional to -x, this fulfils the condition for SHM.

a=ω^2x, and ω=2∏/T

therefore a=(4∏^2)x/T^2

-Axρg/m=(4∏^2)x/T^2

From the derivation above, it can be concluded that 1/m is directly proportional to 1/T^2, and therefore m is proportional to the square of period.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to perform the above experiment. The cylinder does bob up and down in the water, but it does not perform SHM. First of all, the amplitude keeps decreasing, but I have no idea what is the source of energy loss. Besides, the correlation between m and T^2 is also not directly proportional.

Does anyone have an idea what's the error in this experiment?

Attachments

• Photo on 4-3-15 at 6.44 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-3-15 at 6.44 PM.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
While it does not change the period of the oscillation, you forgot the gravitational force on the bob in the equations.
smokedvanilla said:
From the derivation above, it can be concluded that 1/m is directly proportional to 1/T^2, and therefore m is proportional to the square of period.
I agree.
smokedvanilla said:
First of all, the amplitude keeps decreasing, but I have no idea what is the source of energy loss.
You are moving water around all the time. Could this lead to losses?
smokedvanilla said:
Besides, the correlation between m and T^2 is also not directly proportional.
Can you post your data?

mfb said:
While it does not change the period of the oscillation, you forgot the gravitational force on the bob in the equations.

Does this mean that the net force acting on the oscillating cylinder is (buoyant force)-(weight of cylinder) or vise versa depending on the direction of its motion? (Which means ma=Fb-mg, is this eqn correct?)

This is the graph of square of period against mass.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 10.31.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 10.31.17 AM.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 592
smokedvanilla said:
Does this mean that the net force acting on the oscillating cylinder is (buoyant force)-(weight of cylinder) or vise versa depending on the direction of its motion?
Right (and the sign just depends on the definition of "direction of force"). As the weight of the cylinder does not change this is just an offset to the equilibrium position, the derivatives don't change.
smokedvanilla said:
This is the graph of square of period against mass.
The straight line looks like a very nice fit. It has an offset that needs an explanation, but I see where it can come from.
I wonder how you got frequency measurements with that precision.

As theweight of the cylinder does not change this is just an offset to the equilibrium position, the derivatives don't change.

I'm sorry I didn't quite get what you meant by this.

As for the graph, I took about 7 measurements (time taken for 3 oscillations) for each mass and calculated the average value. I just realized that it is actually a very nice fit, coz I was too carried away by the fact that it doesn't pass thru the origin..

1. What is the main source of error in a simple harmonic motion (SHM) experiment?

The main source of error in an SHM experiment is likely to be measurement error. This can occur due to limitations in the accuracy of the measuring instruments used, human error in recording data, or external factors such as temperature or air resistance affecting the motion of the system.

2. How can measurement errors be minimized in an SHM experiment?

To minimize measurement errors in an SHM experiment, it is important to use high-quality measuring instruments with a high level of accuracy. It is also important to take multiple measurements and calculate an average value, as well as using appropriate units and significant figures in recording data. Additionally, controlling external factors such as temperature and air resistance can help reduce errors.

3. Can human error be a significant source of error in an SHM experiment?

Yes, human error can be a significant source of error in an SHM experiment. This can include errors in reading and recording data, as well as errors in setting up and operating the experiment. To minimize human error, it is important to carefully follow experimental procedures and use reliable and precise measuring techniques.

4. How can uncertainties in the initial conditions affect the results of an SHM experiment?

Uncertainties in the initial conditions, such as the starting position or velocity, can have a significant impact on the results of an SHM experiment. This is because even small changes in these initial conditions can result in a different motion of the system, leading to differences in the measured values. To minimize this source of error, it is important to accurately measure and control the initial conditions of the system.

5. Are there any other sources of error in an SHM experiment besides measurement error?

Yes, there can be other sources of error in an SHM experiment besides measurement error. These can include external factors such as friction or air resistance, which can affect the motion of the system and lead to discrepancies in the results. Additionally, inaccuracies in the theoretical model used to describe the motion can also contribute to errors in the experiment. It is important to consider and account for these potential sources of error when analyzing the results of an SHM experiment.