How do I use the number of oscillations given?

In summary: Actually, contrary to what you said, I got the answer (0.2%) on substituting t=200 seconds. That is the answer given at the back of the book. But I still don't get how else can the uncertainty due to the clock's precision be related to the uncertainty in time period. The uncertainty is 0.1 second, so the actual period might range from 1.9-2.1, right?The only measurement performed was for the total time it took for 100 oscillations. The measurement uncertainty applies to that value. But you don't know what that measured value was, you're only given the...The value of g was determined by measuring the time for 100 oscillations using
baldbrain

Homework Statement

The length of a simple pendulum is about 100 cm known to have an accuracy of 1 mm. Its period of oscillation is 2 s determined by measuring the time for 100 oscillations using a clock of 0.1 s resolution. What is the accuracy in the determined value of g?
(a) 0.2% (b) 0.5%
(c) 0.1% (d) 2%

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
→Now, l=100 cm=1 m, Δl=1 mm= 10-3m, t=2 s Δt=0.1 s
Then, T=2π✓(l/g)
Therefore, g=4π2l/T2
Hence, max error is
Δg/g = Δl/l + 2(Δt/t)
i.e., max percentage error is
(Δg/g)100 = (Δl/l)100 + 2(Δt/t)100
=10.1%

Solving this, I'm getting 10.1%, which is obviously not matching with any of the choices.
Where am I going wrong?
How do I use the number of oscillations given?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi HPPAS,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

HPPAS said:
How do i use the number of oscillations given?
Consider how the pendulum period was determined. How was the clock measurement used to determine the value of T?

Likes baldbrain
gneill said:
Hi HPPAS,

Welcome to Physics Forums!Consider how the pendulum period was determined. How was the clock measurement used to determine the value of T?
I have considered the resolution of the clock, but I can't figure out how to use the number of oscillations

HPPAS said:
I have considered the resolution of the clock, but I can't figure out how to use the number of oscillations
What procedure was used to find the period of the pendulum? If you were to replicate it, what would be your steps?

Likes baldbrain
Oh so are you saying that I have to consider the time as 200 s (period for 100 oscillations) ?

HPPAS said:
Oh so are you saying that I have to consider the time as 200 s (period for 100 oscillations) ?
No, not quite.

Suppose you were given the task of determining the period of some pendulum. To begin with you only know that the period is close to 2 seconds, but you want an accurate value. You have available a timer with a resolution of 0.1 seconds. How would you go about it?

Likes baldbrain
gneill said:
No, not quite.

Suppose you were given the task of determining the period of some pendulum. To begin with you only know that the period is close to 2 seconds, but you want an accurate value. You have available a timer with a resolution of 0.1 seconds. How would you go about it?
No, I'm not finding anything else than what I've already done

From the problem statement:
HPPAS said:
Its period of oscillation is 2 s determined by measuring the time for 100 oscillations using a clock of 0.1 s resolution.
Can you write out the calculation performed to find the period?

HPPAS said:
No, I'm not finding anything else than what I've already done
To make it a bit more explicit, the piece you are missing is to relate the uncertainty due to the clock's precision to the uncertainty of the calculated period, T. That relationship is tied to what was actually measured and how the value of T was obtained from it.

gneill said:
To make it a bit more explicit, the piece you are missing is to relate the uncertainty due to the clock's precision to the uncertainty of the calculated period, T. That relationship is tied to what was actually measured and how the value of T was obtained from it.
Actually, contrary to what you said, I got the answer (0.2%) on substituting t=200 seconds. That is the answer given at the back of the book. But I still don't get how else can the uncertainty due to the clock's precision be related to the uncertainty in time period. The uncertainty is 0.1 second, so the actual period might range from 1.9-2.1, right?

All right, wait, I'm getting something.
The resolution is 0.1 second but the given period is 2 sec, not 2.0 sec. So, is the uncertainty 1 sec?

HPPAS said:
Actually, contrary to what you said, I got the answer (0.2%) on substituting t=200 seconds. That is the answer given at the back of the book. But I still don't get how else can the uncertainty due to the clock's precision be related to the uncertainty in time period. The uncertainty is 0.1 second, so the actual period might range from 1.9-2.1, right?
The only measurement performed was for the total time it took for 100 oscillations. The measurement uncertainty applies to that value. But you don't know what that measured value was, you're only given the result of the calculation (2 s). Likely that 2 s value is the result of rounding appropriate to the measurement uncertainty and the calculation performed that transformed the measured value to the period.

So how do you determine what uncertainty should be associated with the 2 s? Suppose the measured time for the 100 oscillations is t. What calculation do you perform on t to arrive at T, the period? What's the uncertainty calculation associated with it?

gneill said:
The only measurement performed was for the total time it took for 100 oscillations. The measurement uncertainty applies to that value. But you don't know what that measured value was, you're only given the result of the calculation (2 s). Likely that 2 s value is the result of rounding appropriate to the measurement uncertainty and the calculation performed that transformed the measured value to the period.

So how do you determine what uncertainty should be associated with the 2 s? Suppose the measured time for the 100 oscillations is t. What calculation do you perform on t to arrive at T, the period? What's the uncertainty calculation associated with it?
No idea.
By the way, can you explain why I got the right answer (0.2%, given at the back) after substituting T=200 seconds (period for 100 oscillations)?

HPPAS said:
No idea.
You have, but you just don't realize it :smile:
By the way, can you explain why I got the right answer (0.2%, given at the back) after substituting T=200 seconds (period for 100 oscillations)?
Yes. Because you unwittingly applied the required expression to convert the uncertainty in the measurement of the 100 oscillations to the 2 s derived period.

You have a measurement t with uncertainty δt. You then calculated the period by writing T = t/100. What's the uncertainty in T?

gneill said:
You have a measurement t with uncertainty δt. You then calculated the period by writing T = t/100. What's the uncertainty in T?
δΤ=δt

Last edited:
HPPAS said:
δΤ=δt
No. t is being divided by a constant (100). How does that affect the uncertainty in the result?

gneill said:
No. t is being divided by a constant (100). How does that affect the uncertainty in the result?
Oh I thought 100 was just a constant.
Then is it δt/100 ?

HPPAS said:
Oh I thought was just a constant.
Then is it δt/100 ?
Yes!

Likes baldbrain
gneill said:
Yes!

1. How do I calculate the period of an oscillating object using the number of oscillations given?

The period of an oscillating object can be calculated by dividing the total time taken for the given number of oscillations by the number of oscillations. This will give you the time taken for one oscillation, which is the period.

2. Can the number of oscillations be used to determine the frequency of an oscillating object?

Yes, the frequency of an oscillating object can be calculated by dividing the number of oscillations by the total time taken. This will give you the number of oscillations per unit time, which is the definition of frequency.

3. How does the amplitude of an oscillating object relate to the number of oscillations?

The amplitude of an oscillating object is not directly related to the number of oscillations. The amplitude is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position, while the number of oscillations is the total number of cycles completed by the object. However, the amplitude can affect the period and frequency of the oscillations.

4. Can the number of oscillations be used to determine the energy of an oscillating object?

No, the number of oscillations alone cannot determine the energy of an oscillating object. The energy of an oscillating object is determined by its amplitude and the mass of the object.

5. How does the number of oscillations affect the period and frequency of an oscillating object?

The number of oscillations does not directly affect the period and frequency of an oscillating object. However, a higher number of oscillations may result in a shorter period and a higher frequency, as the object completes more cycles in a given time period.