Which textbook is better for engineering students: Kreyszig or Boas?

• Thread starter ajayguhan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boas
In summary, Advance engineering mathematics by Erwin Kreyszig is more mathematically oriented and the problems use hardly any physical examples. Mathematical methods in physical science by Mary Boas is more comprehensive and covers a wide area of subject.
ajayguhan
Which textbook explain concepts with more intuition and in comprehensive manner for engineering students?
Advance engineering mathematics by Erwin kreysizg
Or
Mathematical methods in physical science by Mary l. Boas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kreysig is more mathematically oriented and the problems use hardly any physical examples. Boas uses many more examples from physical science to illustrate how to use various mathematical techniques.

What about content, i mean which covers a wide area of subject?

I have an edition of Kreyszig from the early 70's but I don't have Boas's book, so I can't give a comparison. Even so, I don't think you could go wrong with Kreyszig's book.

Kreysig starts off with vectors and linear algebra, IIRC, then moves into differential and integral vector calculus, covering multiple integrals and the basic vector calculus theorems like Green and Stokes. Complex variables and their calculus are also covered, with topics like the residue theorem and conformal mapping getting some attention. Kreysig covers a few elementary topics for things like harmonic functions, but to no great depth as I recall. There is some refresher treatment for ODEs and a start at PDEs. I think some of the later editions might cover an introduction to topics like finite elements, but I can't say for certain. I believe I have the 6th (red cover) and seventh (tan cover) editions from the 1970s and a later (perhaps ninth or tenth edition) from the 1990s. The two earlier editions are very similar, while the more recent edition was overhauled quite a bit in terms of content and organization.

What about Mary l boas? I think she's trying explain fundamental concepts with more intuition while kreysig covers wider range in a depth but with less implementation of how to use it concept in practical

I don't have them on hand so I can't remember exactly how the content compares, but I've used both books at various times and I was happy with them both. If you can afford it, they're probably both worth getting. I personally find I learn math best when I can bounce back and forth between the perspectives of a few good authors.

Boas is much more better than kreysizg. Last time during my degree, kreysizg was used for my engineering course. Engineering Maths is very hard compare to calculus. The advanced engineering maths by kreysizg did'nt help much in my study and understanding. Boas is very different. Even though I already graduated, I am still self-studying Physics using Boas. It covers much more topics than kreysizg and the explanation by Boas is very good.

Looking at my copy of boas, it covers:
Infinite Series
Complex Numbers
Linear Algebra
Multivariate Calculus (Derivatives and integration)
Vector analysis
Fourier Series/Transforms
ODE's
Calculus of Variations
Tensor Analysis
Special Functions
Series solutions of diff eqns using special functions
PDE's
Complex analysis (residues, conformal mapping, etc.)
Probablility

Please note that her chapter on Calculus of Variation alone is worth the price of the book!

Zz.

I'm looking at Kreyszig as I write this since our class is using it. I prefer another book that I checked out from our library. Kreyszig is a bit more theoretical, but as an engineer, I want concepts reinforced with many more concrete examples. If Boas offers more examples, then I'd go with that personally. I'd much prefer an engineering math textbook to have something like Gauss' divergence theorem stated and followed by many physical examples. We should leave the proofs to pure mathematics textbooks, math classes, and mathematicians.

What is the difference between Erwin Kreyszig and Mary L Boas?

Erwin Kreyszig and Mary L Boas are both renowned mathematicians and authors of popular textbooks in the field of mathematics. However, there are some key differences between them. Kreyszig's textbook, "Advanced Engineering Mathematics", is primarily focused on applications of mathematics in engineering, while Boas' textbook, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences", has a broader focus on applications in physics and other sciences. Additionally, Boas' book is known for its rigorous and comprehensive treatment of mathematical concepts, while Kreyszig's book is praised for its practical and intuitive approach.

Which textbook is better for learning advanced mathematics?

This is a subjective question and depends on personal preferences and learning styles. Some students may find Kreyszig's textbook easier to follow due to its more practical approach, while others may prefer Boas' textbook for its comprehensive coverage of mathematical concepts. It is recommended to preview both textbooks and determine which one best suits your learning needs.

Which textbook is more suitable for engineering students?

Kreyszig's textbook, "Advanced Engineering Mathematics", is specifically designed for engineering students and covers a wide range of mathematical topics relevant to engineering applications. Boas' textbook, while also applicable to engineering, has a broader focus on applications in physics and other sciences. Therefore, Kreyszig's textbook may be more suitable for engineering students.

Are there any major differences in the content of these textbooks?

Both textbooks cover similar topics, such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and vector analysis. However, the order and presentation of these topics may differ. Additionally, Boas' textbook may have a more rigorous treatment of mathematical concepts compared to Kreyszig's textbook. It is recommended to consult the table of contents of each textbook to determine the specific differences in content.

Which textbook is more widely used in universities?

Both textbooks are widely used in universities and have been popular choices for many years. However, Kreyszig's textbook, "Advanced Engineering Mathematics", may be more commonly used in engineering programs, while Boas' textbook, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences", may be more commonly used in physics and other science programs. Ultimately, the choice of textbook may vary depending on the specific university or instructor.