ESP8266 or MKR1000: Which One Should You Choose? A Poll on IoT Projects

• Thread starter ISamson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary, the individual is interested in IoT projects and is considering purchasing either a MKR100 or ESP8266. They would like to conduct a poll to gather opinions on which one to choose. They also mention having posted similar threads in the past.

ESP8266 or MKR1000: Poll

• ESP8266

• MKR1000

• Other (Please specify).

Results are only viewable after voting.
ISamson
Gold Member
I have been interested in IoT projects lately and would like to purchase either a MKR100 or ESP8266. I would like to conduct a poll on this and hear some opinions.

Thank you.

Moderators: please note that this thread is very similar to my previous one: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/arduino-esp8266-or-mkr1000.929242/ but it has a poll attached. I have posted a number of threads similar to this topic, but only this one has the poll. Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi there! It sounds like you're eager to delve into IoT projects. I personally prefer the ESP8266 over the MKR100, as it's a bit more versatile and cost-effective. That being said, everyone has different needs and preferences so it would be great to hear what other people think. Good luck with your project!

1. What is ESP8266?

ESP8266 is a low-cost, Wi-Fi enabled microcontroller that can be programmed to perform a variety of tasks. It is commonly used in Internet of Things (IoT) projects due to its small size, low power consumption, and built-in Wi-Fi capabilities.

2. What is MKR1000?

MKR1000 is an Arduino board that uses the powerful Atmel SAMD21 microcontroller and includes a built-in Wi-Fi module. It is designed for IoT applications and can easily connect to the internet and other devices.

3. What are the main differences between ESP8266 and MKR1000?

The main differences between ESP8266 and MKR1000 are the microcontrollers they use and their built-in features. ESP8266 uses the ESP8266EX microcontroller and has built-in Wi-Fi, while MKR1000 uses the Atmel SAMD21 and has a built-in Wi-Fi module. MKR1000 also has a larger memory capacity and more digital and analog pins compared to the ESP8266.

4. Can I use ESP8266 and MKR1000 together in a project?

Yes, you can use ESP8266 and MKR1000 together in a project. Both boards have Wi-Fi capabilities and can communicate with each other. However, you may need to use a separate power supply for each board, as they have different power requirements.

5. Which board is better for IoT projects, ESP8266 or MKR1000?

It depends on your specific project needs. If you need a smaller and more affordable board with built-in Wi-Fi, then ESP8266 may be a better choice. However, if you need more memory, pins, and processing power, then MKR1000 may be a better option. It is recommended to research and compare the features of both boards before deciding which one to use.