Estimate gravitational energy from supernova

In summary: The final distribution is certainly uniform, and you say you are given that the initial distribution is uniform. So the sphere is compressed from one uniform density to another. (You need to figure out what those densities are. I do not know how to do that.)If the ratio of the densities is D, what is the ratio of the radius of the 1.4M core before collapse to its radius after collapse?For a shell radius r within the core before collapse, what is its radius after collapse?
henrco

Homework Statement

Suppose that a 15 M(solar masses) star finally runs out of nuclear fuel in its core and undergoes a Type II supernova explosion. You are going to analyse the energy budget, calculating all the quantities in Joules.

a) Estimate the amount of gravitational energy that would be liberated by the collapse of the core (say) 1.4 M(solar masses) to the size of neutron star.

Homework Equations

[/B]
PE = - GM/r

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate the gravitational PE. I believe the correct formula would be PE = -GM/r
With: M = (15-1.4)M(solar masses)

I'm not given the radius. Since it's a type II supernova, the radius would be around 10-15km.

Is there a way I can accurately calculate the radius?
Or since the question is asking for an estimate do I take an estimated radius based on it been a type II supernova, so a midpoint between 10-15km?

Any help guidance very welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
henrco said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that a 15 M(solar masses) star finally runs out of nuclear fuel in its core and undergoes a Type II supernova explosion. You are going to analyse the energy budget, calculating all the quantities in Joules.

a) Estimate the amount of gravitational energy that would be liberated by the collapse of the core (say) 1.4 M(solar masses) to the size of neutron star.

Homework Equations

[/B]
PE = - GM/r

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate the gravitational PE. I believe the correct formula would be PE = -GM/r
With: M = (15-1.4)M(solar masses)

I'm not given the radius. Since it's a type II supernova, the radius would be around 10-15km.

Is there a way I can accurately calculate the radius?
Or since the question is asking for an estimate do I take an estimated radius based on it been a type II supernova, so a midpoint between 10-15km?

Any help guidance very welcome.
Mass within it at different initial and final radii will release different quantities of GPE. Consider a thin shell at initial radius r. What radius does it collapse to?
(I don't know whether you are supposed to take initial distribution as uniform; maybe you know.)

Likes henrco
The thin shell would collapse to (r - width of shell), assuming that the entire shell burns off.
I am to assume initial distribution as uniform.

I understand that the GPE will will be different an initial and final radii. However I don't understand.

1) Is there a way of working out what the radius is? Can it be derived from the information provided. If so, could you please help me with that.

henrco said:
The thin shell would collapse to (r - width of shell), assuming that the entire shell burns off.
I am to assume initial distribution as uniform.

I understand that the GPE will will be different an initial and final radii. However I don't understand.

1) Is there a way of working out what the radius is? Can it be derived from the information provided. If so, could you please help me with that.
The final distribution is certainly uniform, and you say you are given that the initial distribution is uniform. So the sphere is compressed from one uniform density to another. (You need to figure out what those densities are. I do not know how to do that.)
If the ratio of the densities is D, what is the ratio of the radius of the 1.4M core before collapse to its radius after collapse?
For a shell radius r within the core before collapse, what is its radius after collapse?

1. What is gravitational energy?

Gravitational energy is the potential energy that an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move an object from one position to another in a gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational energy is E = mgh, where E is the gravitational energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object in the gravitational field.

3. How is gravitational energy related to supernovae?

Supernovae are massive explosions that occur at the end of a star's life. These explosions release a tremendous amount of energy, including gravitational energy. As the star collapses, its gravitational energy is converted into thermal and kinetic energy, resulting in the explosion.

4. How do scientists estimate the gravitational energy from supernovae?

Scientists estimate the gravitational energy from supernovae by measuring the mass of the star before the explosion and the distance the debris from the explosion is spread. They then use the formula for calculating gravitational energy to determine the amount of energy released.

5. Why is estimating gravitational energy from supernovae important?

Estimating gravitational energy from supernovae is important because it helps scientists understand the processes involved in these massive explosions. It also provides insight into the life cycle of stars and the role of gravity in the universe.