Estimating Alpha Particle Speed & Kinetic Energy in a Heavy Nucleus

Your name]In summary, the forum member is using the uncertainty principle to estimate the minimum speed and kinetic energy of an alpha particle confined to the interior of a heavy nucleus. They have calculated the minimum momentum using p*a = h_bar/2 for a = 7.5 fm, but their calculated minimum kinetic energy of 0.1 MeV differs from the value of 41 MeV given in the textbook. This could be due to variations in the values of a and V0, as well as potential differences in the calculation method or assumptions used in the textbook. The forum member is advised to double check their calculation and consider these factors in order to get a closer result to the textbook value.
wdednam

Homework Statement

Use the uncertainty principle to estimate the minimum speed and kinetic energy of an alpha particle confined to the interior of a heavy nucleus.

Homework Equations

delta_p*delta_r = h_bar/2 for minimum momentum

p = mv for non-relativistic particle, the alpha particle in this case

T = p^2/2m where m = rest mass of alpha particle

I'm using Krane's Introductory Nuclear Physics and the book gives for a typical heavy nucleus, r = a = 7.5 fm. Chapter 8 section 8.4.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated p using p*a = h_bar/2 for a = 7.5 fm. But when I plugged this into T to get the minimum kinetic energy I got something of the order of 0.1 MeV for the alpha particle confined inside the nucleus.

In the textbook it says that the kinetic energy of an alpha particle inside a typical heavy nucleus is around Q + V0 = 6 MeV + 35 MeV = 41 MeV where V0 is the depth of the potential well to which the alpha particle is confined and Q the disintegration energy.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your calculation using the uncertainty principle. However, there are a few things that may be causing the discrepancy between your calculated minimum kinetic energy and the value given in the textbook.

Firstly, it is important to note that the value of a = 7.5 fm given in the textbook is an average value for the radius of a heavy nucleus. This means that the actual value for the radius of the nucleus could vary and may not be exactly 7.5 fm. This could affect your calculation of p and therefore your calculated minimum kinetic energy.

Secondly, the value of V0 = 35 MeV given in the textbook is an average value for the depth of the potential well of a heavy nucleus. This value can also vary and may not be exactly 35 MeV. This will also affect your calculation of the minimum kinetic energy.

Lastly, it is possible that the textbook is using a different equation or assumption to calculate the minimum kinetic energy of the alpha particle. It would be helpful to check the context in which the value of 41 MeV is given in the textbook and see if there are any additional factors or assumptions included in the calculation.

In conclusion, I would recommend checking your calculation again using a range of values for a and V0 to see if you can get a closer result to the one given in the textbook. Also, make sure to check for any additional factors or assumptions that may be included in the textbook calculation. I hope this helps. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Estimating Alpha Particle Speed & Kinetic Energy in a Heavy Nucleus

1. What is an alpha particle?

An alpha particle is a type of particle that consists of two protons and two neutrons bound together, essentially the same as a helium nucleus.

2. How is the speed of an alpha particle in a heavy nucleus estimated?

The speed of an alpha particle in a heavy nucleus is estimated using the principles of nuclear physics, specifically the conservation of energy and momentum.

3. What factors affect the speed of an alpha particle in a heavy nucleus?

The speed of an alpha particle in a heavy nucleus is affected by the mass and charge of the nucleus, as well as the energy of the alpha particle itself.

4. Can the kinetic energy of an alpha particle in a heavy nucleus be calculated?

Yes, the kinetic energy of an alpha particle in a heavy nucleus can be calculated using the equation KE = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the alpha particle and v is its speed.

5. Why is estimating alpha particle speed and kinetic energy important in nuclear physics?

Estimating alpha particle speed and kinetic energy in a heavy nucleus is important in understanding the behavior and interactions of particles within the nucleus, which is crucial in the study of nuclear reactions and energy production.