Estimating Neutrino Flux Density

In summary: Assuming the neutrinos are ultra-relativistic I got a flux of 1.19 x 1017 m-2 s-1... which I'm pretty sure is higher than the solar neutrino flux. o_OYes, that seems reasonable.
Joeseye
1. Problem

"Estimate the flux of neutrinos passing through your body per second if the present energy density of neutrinos from the Big Bang is 0.2 MeV/m3. Assume that you are a standard size covering 0.01 m2".

Homework Equations

nv = Uv(T) / <Ev>

The Attempt at a Solution

I've assumed that the neutrinos have a temperature of 1.95 K. Now I'm not sure whether to presume that the neutrinos are relativistic (hence, zero mass and velocity of c) or non-relativistic (i.e. mv < 1 eV), since the question does not specify. Although I believe the Tv = 1.95 K value comes from assuming neutrinos are massless (I think).

I've attempted both and have different answers (although I doubt whether they are correct). Regardless, I've not had much success converting the neutrino density to a flux density. I assume that the neutrinos are traveling in all directions with the same velocity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can assume that the neutrinos are ultra-relativistic, I think.

A human body with 0.01m^2 surface area is... strange.

mfb said:
You can assume that the neutrinos are ultra-relativistic, I think.

A human body with 0.01m^2 surface area is... strange.

I thought that 0.01 m2 was quite low, too. Perhaps he meant 0.1 m2.

Assuming the neutrinos are ultra-relativistic I got a flux of 1.19 x 1017 m-2 s-1... which I'm pretty sure is higher than the solar neutrino flux. o_O

I used:

Flux ϕ = (c . uv(T)) / (3 . <Ev>) = (c . uv(T)) / (3 . kB . T)

The factor of 1/3 comes from assuming the neutrinos are isotropic. Essentially, this is the power density (which is c/3 times the radiation pressure uv(T)) divided by the average energy of a neutrino <Ev>.

Do you think this is correct?

Last edited:
Flux should be something "per time*area".

2K correspond to about .5meV, therefore we have ρ=0.4*10^9 primordial neutrinos per m^2, moving at nearly the speed of light. Using only one direction, the flux is 1/2 ρ c or about 10^17/(m^2*s).
Looks good.

Those neutrinos are hard (or even impossible) to detect as they have a very low energy.

mfb said:
Flux should be something "per time*area".

Ah yeah. Sorry I meant neutrinos per meter squared per second - I'll edit my post.

Thanks for your reply. Is it appropriate to assume the neutrinos are traveling at a velocity of c and are massless? I thought that when neutrinos decoupled (2s after the Big Bang) they had a velocity close to c, but have since slowed to approximately 105 - 106 m s-1?

If they are slow, they are not relativistic - with 2K, they would need some significant mass to be so slow.

1. What is neutrino flux density?

Neutrino flux density refers to the number of neutrinos that pass through a given area in a certain amount of time. This can also be thought of as the amount of neutrino energy passing through a given area per second.

2. How is neutrino flux density measured?

Neutrino flux density is typically measured using large detectors, such as the IceCube Neutrino Observatory in Antarctica. These detectors are able to detect the interactions of neutrinos with other particles, allowing researchers to estimate the number of neutrinos passing through the detector.

3. What factors affect neutrino flux density?

The primary factors that affect neutrino flux density are the distance from the source of the neutrinos and the energy of the neutrinos. The closer the detector is to the source and the higher the energy of the neutrinos, the higher the flux density will be.

4. What are some applications of studying neutrino flux density?

Studying neutrino flux density can provide valuable information about astrophysical phenomena, such as supernovae and black holes. It can also help us better understand the composition of the universe and the behavior of neutrinos, which are some of the most abundant particles in the universe.

5. How does estimating neutrino flux density contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Estimating neutrino flux density is an important aspect of studying the universe, as it allows us to gather information about distant and hard-to-observe objects and phenomena. It also helps us test and improve our current theories and models about the universe, providing a deeper understanding of its workings.