Estimating variance of Poisson random variable

In summary, I am trying to use a generated random sample in R to estimate the mean and variance for a Poisson random variable. The first one is a Poisson random variable with mean 5. To estimate the above I generate a random sample in R with the following code: P5 and find $E[\sqrt{X}]$ to be 2.292802 and $\sqrt{5}=2.2346$. I then estimate the $\text{Var}[\sqrt{X}]$ using the formula $\text{Var}[\sqrt{X}]=E[X]-E[\sqrt{X}]^2$ and find that it is 0.22
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I am trying to use a generated random sample in R to estimate the mean and variance for a Poisson random variable. The first one is a Poisson random variable with mean 5.

To estimate the above I generate a random sample in R with the following code:
Code:
P5 <- rpois(100,5)

Given the above I want to find $E[\sqrt{X}]$. Easy enough. To estimate the expected value of the square of X, I can take the square root of the sample and divide by 100.
Code:
mean(sqrt(P5))

The above comes out to be 2.292802 and $\sqrt{5}=2.2346$ so all looks good.

Now I want to estimate the $\text{Var}[\sqrt{X}]$. I can use the following formula to help: $\text{Var}[\sqrt{X}]=E[X]-E[\sqrt{X}]^2$
Code:
sum((P5))/100-(sum(sqrt(P5))/100)^2

From the above I get 0.2230577 but to honest, I can't figure out what the ideal value should be. Plugging in $\lambda$ into the variance formula is seems like this should be $\lambda-\sqrt{\lambda}^2=0$.

Any insight as to how to get this value?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so after thinking about this for more than 1 second a couple of things are clearer:

1) The variance is obviously not 0. I knew that before but it seems so hilariously absurd now as that would mean the value of the random variable is always a constant.

2) To calculate $E[\sqrt{X}]$ I need to use the full formula and not just "plug in". So this would be: \(\displaystyle E[\sqrt{x}]=\sum_{x=0}^{\infty}\sqrt{x} \cdot \frac{\lambda^x e^{-\lambda}}{x!}\). This most likely doesn't have a nice cancellation that $E[X]$ does and my guess would be there is no closed solution to this expectation. From what I have found the variance should indeed be something close to 1/4, so all is looking good. :)

1. What is a Poisson random variable?

A Poisson random variable is a discrete random variable that represents the number of occurrences of a specific event within a fixed time or space. It is commonly used in situations where the probability of an event occurring is small and the events are independent of each other.

2. How do you estimate the variance of a Poisson random variable?

The variance of a Poisson random variable is equal to its mean, so to estimate the variance, you need to first calculate the mean of the Poisson distribution. This can be done by multiplying the rate parameter (λ) by the time or space interval. The variance can then be estimated by taking the square root of the mean.

3. What is the significance of estimating the variance of a Poisson random variable?

Estimating the variance of a Poisson random variable is important because it allows us to understand the spread or variability of the data. A higher variance indicates that the data is more spread out, while a lower variance indicates that the data is more clustered around the mean. This information can be useful in making predictions and drawing conclusions from the data.

4. Can the variance of a Poisson random variable be negative?

No, the variance of a Poisson random variable cannot be negative. Variance is a measure of variability and it is always a positive value. If you calculate a negative variance, it is likely that an error was made in the calculation.

5. What factors can affect the variance of a Poisson random variable?

The variance of a Poisson random variable can be affected by the rate parameter (λ), which represents the average number of events occurring in the given time or space interval. A higher rate parameter will result in a higher variance, while a lower rate parameter will result in a lower variance. Additionally, the length of the time or space interval can also affect the variance, with longer intervals typically resulting in a higher variance.