Estimation of data stored on a CD

In summary, the conversation discusses the estimation of the data stored on a CD based on the wavelength of the laser used for reading. One explanation suggests that shorter wavelength allows for tighter spirals and more data storage, while another suggests that the minimum area of a bit can be used to estimate the total data. The question also considers the speed at which the CD spins in order to maintain a constant sound quality. It is concluded that the CD is read at a constant linear speed and the spacing between bumps remains the same throughout the CD. The total data stored is estimated to be approximately 1.4 GB.
Alettix
Hello! I would be very happy if you could lend me a helping hand with the following problem. :)

1. Homework Statement

We know that a CD is read with a laser with a wavelenght of λ = 1 μm.
a) Estimate the data stored on the CD.
b) We know that the CD contains 80 minutes of sound. How fast is it spinning?

2. The attempt at a solution
Firstly, I tried to look up how a CD works and what part of its function is affected by the wavelenght of the light used to read it. The explations said that along the surface of the CD, there is a long spiral path. On the path, there are small bumps with a height of λ/4. When a transition between a bump and "normal land" or vice versa occures, there will be a time when half of the laser beam is on the bump and half on normal land. At this point destructive interference takes place and this corresponds to a 0. The other times correpsonds to 1.

Now, I don't really know how to apply this to my problem. It is generally known that the shorter the wavelenght, the the more data can be stored. However, according to the information above, the only differece this will make is that the bumps will decrease in height. I really don't see how this will allow more bumps (and data) to be stored. Other sources on the other hand said that the wavelenght equaled the distance d between two parts of the spiral (see picture). I don't see the full logic behind this, but if this is the case, I can see that the spiral can be tighter when using light of shorter wavelenght, and consequently the disc can store data.

Which ever the case, I do not know how to estimate the stored data. By using the second explanation, assuming that the path has zero width and estimating the radius of the dics, I believe one could approximate the total length of the spiral path. However, unless one knows the lengt of a bit, this does not tell us much about the data. Using the first explanation, neighter the path length or the bitlenght can be found, only the height of the bumps, whose connection to the stored data I cannot see. Can anybody tell me which explanation is right and how the stored data should be calculated?

But, let's say that we can calculate the stored data and know the length of the path. How is then the speed of the dics calculated? To get a constant sound quality, the same amount of bits should be read each second, shouldn't it? But if the length of a bit is constant and we have a constant angular velocity, then less bits will be read when the readinghead is closer to the middle of the dics than when it is on the edge of it. This means that as the readinghead approaches the middle of the dics, the disc should then start to spin faster. But if this is correct, what is b) asking for? The average angular velocity or the tangential speed that should be kept constant?

Thank you in advance!PS: One of the information sources:

Attachments

• cd.png
    cd.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
It's possible you are trying to come up with a more accurate estimate than they intend. In general you can't see/resolve objects that are smaller than the wavelength of light. So that helps you estimate the minimum area of "one bit" of data. Try that.

Last edited:
As for question b).

Alettix said:
But, let's say that we can calculate the stored data and know the length of the path. How is then the speed of the dics calculated? To get a constant sound quality, the same amount of bits should be read each second, shouldn't it? But if the length of a bit is constant and we have a constant angular velocity, then less bits will be read when the readinghead is closer to the middle of the dics than when it is on the edge of it.

The data doesn't go all the way to the middle so the variation in bit length might not be an order of magnitude. Somewhere there is an "average" bit length and an average circumference.

Remember that CD is read at the same speed at which recording took place
so that would seem to say that the "bumps" towards the outer edge would be
farther apart than the ones towards the center.
That would seem to imply that the inner "bumps could quite close together.
Think of what would happen if you were listening to music on the CD
while it rotated at a constant speed.

CWatters said:
It's possible you are trying to come up with a more accurate estimate than they intend. In general you can't see/resolve objects that are smaller than the wavelength of light. So that helps you estimate the minimum area of "one bit" of data. Try that.

Thank you for your reply! :)
Okay, so that means that the area of a singel bit should be (1*10^-6)^2 = 10^-12 m^2.
If we then approximate the outer radius of the disc to be 6 cm-ers, and the inner to be 1 cm, the total numer of bits is:
## \frac{\pi(0,06^2-0,01^2}{10^{-12}} ≈ 1,1 *10^{10} bit ≈ 1,4 Gb##

J Hann said:
Actual CDs are read at constant linear speed, not constant angular speed. The bumps have the same "spacing" all over the CD.

Likes Alettix and berkeman
CWatters said:
As for question b).
The data doesn't go all the way to the middle so the variation in bit length might not be an order of magnitude. Somewhere there is an "average" bit length and an average circumference.

J Hann said:
Think of what would happen if you were listening to music on the CD
while it rotated at a constant speed.
If I have understood it correctly, these two answeres collide a little, don't they? Of have I missinterpreted something?

Nevertheless, Using the answere from a), we obtain that ca 2,3 *106 bites should be read each second.
However, I am unsure about how to use an "average radius". I could have (6+1)/2 = 3,5 cm-s, but not equal time will be spent at each radius. Does this result in somekind of integral?

DrClaude said:
Actual CDs are read at constant linear speed, not constant angular speed. The bumps have the same "spacing" all over the CD.

So, is it the linear speed I should be looking for in b)?

Alettix said:
So, is it the linear speed I should be looking for in b)?
The question asks "How fast is it spinning?", which hints at an answer in terms of an angular speed. Maybe the person who wrote the question didn't know that CDs don't always rotate at the same speed.

DrClaude said:
The question asks "How fast is it spinning?", which hints at an answer in terms of an angular speed. Maybe the person who wrote the question didn't know that CDs don't always rotate at the same speed.

Is it possible that they are looking for a function ω of R?

1. How much data can be stored on a CD?

The amount of data that can be stored on a CD depends on the type of CD and its capacity. A standard CD can hold up to 700 MB of data, while a DVD can hold up to 4.7 GB. However, there are also higher capacity CDs and DVDs that can store 8.5 GB or more.

2. How is the data stored on a CD?

Data on a CD is stored in a spiral track starting from the center and moving outward. The data is encoded as microscopic pits and lands on the reflective surface of the CD, which are then read by a laser beam in the CD drive.

3. How accurate is the estimation of data stored on a CD?

The estimation of data stored on a CD is usually very accurate. However, it can vary slightly depending on the quality of the CD, the type of data being stored, and any errors that may occur during the burning process. It is always recommended to check the actual data size after burning to ensure accuracy.

4. Can the data stored on a CD be compressed?

Yes, data on a CD can be compressed using various techniques such as zip compression. This can help to save space and fit more data on the CD, but it may also affect the quality of the data. It is important to consider the intended use of the CD before deciding whether or not to compress the data.

5. Are there any limitations to the data storage capacity of a CD?

Yes, there are limitations to the data storage capacity of a CD. As mentioned earlier, the type and capacity of the CD play a role in determining the maximum amount of data that can be stored. Additionally, the file system used and the type of data being stored can also affect the storage capacity. It is important to check the specifications of the CD before attempting to store large amounts of data.