Etiquette of writing research poster acknowledgments?

In summary, for a poster presentation, it is not necessary to list all the people who provided assistance during lab work. It is important to acknowledge funding agencies and list all authors involved in the work. If there is someone who made a significant contribution but is not listed as an author, a brief thank you can be included in the acknowledgment. It is also appropriate to mention helpful discussions or samples provided by colleagues, using their title and last name. Overall, the acknowledgment section should be concise and not extend beyond a few sentences.
CivilSigma
I have written the following on my poster:

Special thanks to: "Professor Name" and "Professor Name" for their support through out this project, my numerous colleagues, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 for their assistance during lab work and last but not least to my parents "Dad" and "Mom" for their support through out this journey.

Is this good enough?

I am not sure if I should actually write the names of my parents and whether I should list all the people who shared tips and tricks with me in the lab.

For the latter, is there a general rule to follow for people who helped me with lab work, i.e helping me only mixing concrete. Can I just list first names when thanking colleagues to save space?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are overdoing it just a bit. This is not your thesis. It is "just" a poster for a presentation, presumably at a conference.

What you should acknowledge is funding agencies, if such were used to support the work. If this is a collaborative work, then the names of all the people involved (including your supervisor), should be listed as the "authors" of the work, even though you may list your name as the first one on that list of authors.

If you feel very strongly about thanking someone not on the list of authors who help you tremendously in the work, then include a brief thank you in the acknowledgment. Otherwise, most of what you intended to include is not necessary.

Zz.

Likes CivilSigma
ZapperZ said:
If you feel very strongly about thanking someone not on the list of authors who help you tremendously in the work, then include a brief thank you in the acknowledgment.

A possible example of this would be "Samples provided by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Department of Chemistry, Muppet University". That person should be acknowledged, because their work is critical, but not an author if they are not responsible for the scientific conclusions.

Likes CivilSigma
It should be very similar to what you see in a paper. The standard form would be something like,

"This work was supported by *FUNDING AGENCY* grants XXX and YYY. The authors gratefully acknowledge the *helpful discussions with/samples provided by* Prof. X and Dr. Y"

It's not a thesis acknowledgment, definitely don't thank your parents. If you want to refer to colleagues, use their title and last name. I would not list everyone. I wouldn't make it much longer than what I outlined above, it's just a poster.

Likes CivilSigma

1. What is the purpose of including acknowledgments on a research poster?

The purpose of including acknowledgments on a research poster is to give credit and recognition to individuals or organizations who have contributed to the research project in some way. This could include funding, guidance, or assistance with data collection or analysis.

2. Who should be acknowledged on a research poster?

Anyone who has made a significant contribution to the research project should be acknowledged on a research poster. This could include mentors, collaborators, funders, or individuals who provided technical support or assistance.

3. How should acknowledgments be formatted on a research poster?

Acknowledgments should be placed at the bottom of the research poster, typically in a smaller font size than the rest of the content. They should be concise, using only a few sentences to acknowledge each individual or organization. It is also important to use proper formatting, such as listing names in alphabetical order or by level of contribution.

4. Is it necessary to include acknowledgments on a research poster?

While it is not a requirement, it is considered good practice to include acknowledgments on a research poster. It shows gratitude and recognition for the contributions of others and can also help establish credibility for the research project.

5. Are there any guidelines for writing acknowledgments on a research poster?

There are no set guidelines for writing acknowledgments on a research poster, but it is important to be sincere and concise. Avoid overly lengthy or generic statements and be sure to include specific contributions or support provided by each individual or organization being acknowledged.