Euclidean Space - Maximum Value

In summary, the homework statement asks for the maximum of \frac{x+2y+3z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}} as (x,y,z) varies among nonzero points in R^{3} . The Attempt at a Solution starts by setting f(x,y,z) = \frac{x+2y+3z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}} and finding the extreme values at(x,y,z) where x \neq 0, y \neq 0, z \neq 0. Then, the parital derivaties at
Paper Wings

Homework Statement

Find the maximum of
[tex]\frac{x+2y+3z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}[/tex]
as (x,y,z) varies among nonzero points in [tex]R^{3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I'm not sure. The section in which this problem lies in talks about scalar products, norms, distances of vectors, and orthognality. However, I fail to see how that helps to find the maximum value.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I set [tex]f(x,y,z) = \frac{x+2y+3z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}[/tex] and find the extreme values at(x,y,z) where [tex]x \neq 0, y \neq 0, z \neq 0[/tex] since the problem states that it varies among nonzero points.

2. I find the parital derivaties at (x,y,z).
denom = [tex](x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}[/tex]
a. [tex]f_{x}(x,y,z)= \frac{y^2-2xy+z^2-3xz}{denom}[/tex]
b. [tex]f_{y}(x,y,z)= \frac{2x^2-yx+2z^2-3yz}{denom} [/tex]
c. [tex]f_{z}(x,y,z)= \frac{3x^2-xz+3y^2-2yz}{denom}[/tex]

3. I set up a systems of equations
a. [tex]3x^2-zx+3y^2-2yz=0[/tex]
b. [tex]2x^2-yx+2z^2-3yz=0[/tex]
c. [tex]y^2-2xy+z^2-3xz = 0[/tex]

At this point, I'm stuck. Is there a different approach or am I completely off track? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that this thing is the dot product of (1,2,3) and the unit vector in the direction of (x,y,z). Which direction maximizes this?

durt said:
Notice that this thing is the dot product of (1,2,3) and the unit vector in the direction of (x,y,z). Which direction maximizes this?

Ah, ok. So, I'm supposed to find the directional derivative of f at (1,2,3) in the direction of a = (x,y,z)

1. Let a be a nonzero vector, where I am trying to find the directional derivatie of f at (x,y,z) in the direction of a [tex]\left\| a \right\| = \sqrt{1^2+2^2+3^2} = \sqrt{14} [/tex]
2. So, the unit vector u would be
[tex]u=\frac{1}{ \sqrt{14}}a = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{14}}i + \frac{2}{ \sqrt{14}}j + \frac{3}{ \sqrt{14}}k [/tex]
3. Thus, the directional derivative at (1,2,3) is:
[tex]D_{u}f(1,2,3)=f_{x}(1,2,3) \frac{1}{ \sqrt{14}} +f_{y}(1,2,3) \frac{2}{ \sqrt{14}}+ f_{z}(1,2,3) \frac{3}{ \sqrt{14}}[/tex]
4. Last, plug in (1,2,3) in the partial deratives to obtain the maximum value?

Last edited:
Hmmm you're still over complicating things. You don't need any differentiation or anything. If you take the dot product of a vector and another vector of magnitude 1, what is the maximum value of this dot product?

Hm, ok. So if the magnitude of the vector is 1, then the maximum value of this dot product would be 1(1) + 2(1) + 3(1) = 6 since the points are nonzero, correct?

No, (1,1,1) has magnitude sqrt(3). Try to think of this geometrically. Hint: a dot b = |a| |b| cos(theta). What happens if |b| is fixed at 1?

If |b| is fixed at 1, then a dot b = |a| cos(theta).

cos(theta) = 1, since a is in the direction of b. So, we get

a dot b = |a| = [tex]\sqrt{1^2+2^2+3^2} = \sqrt{14}[/tex]

I finally understood what you meant by
Notice that this thing is the dot product of (1,2,3) and the unit vector in the direction of (x,y,z).

Thank you very much for your help. Cheers.

Related to Euclidean Space - Maximum Value

1. What is Euclidean space?

Euclidean space is a mathematical concept that describes the geometry of flat, two-dimensional surfaces. It is based on the principles of Euclidean geometry, which is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid.

2. What is the maximum value in Euclidean space?

The maximum value in Euclidean space depends on the specific measurement or property being considered. For example, in terms of distance, the maximum value would be infinite since there is no limit to how far two points can be apart. However, if we are looking at the maximum value of the perimeter of a square, it would be the length of all four sides added together.

3. How is Euclidean space used in science?

Euclidean space is used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It provides a framework for understanding and solving problems related to geometry, distance, and measurements. It is also used in creating mathematical models and simulations for various scientific phenomena.

4. What is the difference between Euclidean space and non-Euclidean space?

The main difference between Euclidean space and non-Euclidean space lies in the geometry and principles that govern them. In Euclidean space, the parallel postulate holds true, meaning that two parallel lines never intersect. In non-Euclidean space, this postulate does not hold, and the geometry can be curved or non-planar. Non-Euclidean space is used to describe more complex and abstract concepts in mathematics and science.

5. How does Euclidean space relate to the real world?

Euclidean space is a fundamental concept in mathematics that has many real-world applications. It can be used to describe and measure physical objects and phenomena in our world, such as the distance between two points, the shape of a room, or the trajectory of a projectile. It also serves as a basis for more advanced mathematical concepts and theories that are used in various fields of science.