Eulerian vs Lagrangian Perspectives: Exploring the Differences and Advantages

• I
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between Eulerian and Lagrangian perspectives in fluid mechanics. The main distinction is that Eulerian views a stationary volume of fluid, while Lagrangian follows individual particles. The advantages of each are discussed, with examples given for when one frame of reference may be better suited than the other. The use of weather balloons and sensors is also mentioned. Additionally, the conversation touches on the use of Lagrangian coordinates in analyzing large deformations in mechanics.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am reading about Eulerian vs Lagrangian perspectives. To me, it seems that Eulerian considers a volume and follows that volume (which may deform) through space. A Lagrangian frame of reference doesn't track volume, but instead specific particle matters.

Am I correct? If so, what are the advantages of each? Perhaps you have a toy problem or thought experiment where one frame of reference is superior to the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
I found these youtube videos that describe the differences in approach:

and more formally here:

and a classic video from 50+ years ago:

It seems like you'd choose lagrangian if your sensors were traveling with the flow and Eulerian if your sensors were stationary with the flow passing through them.

The last video mentions use of weather balloons floating freely following the currents of the air and hence following a lagrangian frame of reference.

Also I found this tutorial that has some interesting stuff in it:

http://www.mne.psu.edu/cimbala/Learning/Fluid/Introductory/descriptions_of_fluid_flows.htm

Last edited:
Eulerian means using a stationary control volume with material flowing in and out. Lagrangian means what you described as Eulerian in your first post: Lagrangian considers a volume and follows that volume (which may deform) through space. This is also sometimes called a material coordinate system, since it labels each particle within the volume by means of its coordinates at time zero.

Let me guess, Josh. You're studying deformational kinematics.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
So I guess you could say Euler was a stick in the mud and Lagrange just went with the flow.

Two different philosophies of life.

Likes Chestermiller
jedishrfu said:
It seems like you'd choose lagrangian if your sensors were traveling with the flow and Eulerian if your sensors were stationary with the flow passing through them.
In those cases, Lagrangian and Eulerian (measurement) frames are chosen by the sensor. However, you might prefer to work with one or the other depending on whether the properties you are examining are traveling with the flow or stationary with the flow. (For example, away from boundaries, lots of stuff really happens "relative to the medium.")

Likes jedishrfu
Also Eulerian is often chosen in laboratory setting where your sensors are fixed and not moving with the flow.

Likes olivermsun
To clarify what I said in my previous post: even if the sensor is Eulerian (as it usually is), it is often advantageous to transform the measurements to a Lagrangian frame for analysis.

One classic example is measuring density profiles in a stratified fluid. If you use, e.g., a vertical array of sensors, and the fluid is moving, then you can get very "discontinuous" time series due to fine features that are advected past the sensor. When you shift to Lagrangian (or "semi-Lagrangian") coordinates, then the underlying structure often becomes much more clear.

Thank you all for the advice! That first video was actually hilarious! Stick in the mud:oldlaugh: And yep Chet, I'm studying continuum mechanics, so deformational kinematics is here too!

joshmccraney said:
Thank you all for the advice! That first video was actually hilarious! Stick in the mud:oldlaugh: And yep Chet, I'm studying continuum mechanics, so deformational kinematics is here too!
Use of an embedded material coordinate system (Lagrangian) that moves with the material is essential to analyzing large deformation mechanics (kinematics, rheology, stress). The focus is on prediction the stress tensor so that stress-equilibrium equation can be applied.

Likes olivermsun
Thanks for pointing that out!

1. What is the difference between Eulerian and Lagrangian perspectives?

The Eulerian perspective is a fixed frame of reference where the observer remains stationary while the fluid moves through it. In contrast, the Lagrangian perspective follows the motion of individual fluid parcels as they move through space and time.

2. Which perspective is more commonly used in fluid mechanics?

Both perspectives are used in fluid mechanics, but the Eulerian perspective is more commonly used for studying steady flows and the Lagrangian perspective is more commonly used for studying unsteady flows.

3. What are the advantages of using the Eulerian perspective?

The Eulerian perspective allows for the study of large-scale fluid flows and is more convenient for mathematical analysis. It also provides a fixed reference frame for measuring flow properties.

4. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian perspective?

The Lagrangian perspective is better suited for studying the behavior and interactions of individual fluid particles. It also allows for the study of unsteady flows and is useful for tracking the movement of pollutants or other dispersed materials in a flow.

5. Can both perspectives be used together in fluid mechanics?

Yes, both perspectives can be used together in fluid mechanics to gain a more comprehensive understanding of fluid flows. The Eulerian perspective can provide an overall view of the flow, while the Lagrangian perspective can provide insights into the behavior of individual fluid particles within the flow.