My modernization of Definition I in Newton's Principia

• Thread starter PencilPusher
  • Start date
PencilPusher
Give me your thoughts on my modernization of Definition I of Newton's Principia. Specifically bullet point 3.

Original TextMy Translation
The quantity of matter is the measure of the same, arising from its density and bulk conjunctly.Quantity of Mass arises from multiplication of density and volume.
M = Q x V(density x volume)
  1. Thus air of a double density, in a double space, is quadruple in quantity; in a triple space, sextuple in quantity.
  2. The same thing is to be understood of snow, and fine dust of powders, that are condensed by compression or liquefaction; and of all bodies that are by any causes whatever differently condensed.
  3. I have no regard in this place to a medium, if any such there is, that freely pervades the interstices between the parts of bodies.
  4. It is this quantity that I mean hereafter everywhere under the name of body or mass.
  5. And the same is known by the weight of each body; for it is proportional to the weight, as I have found by experiments on pendulums, very accurately made, which shall be shewn hereafter.
  1. Therefore, air with double the density and double the volume will have quadruple the mass; triple the density and triple the volume will have sextuple of the mass.
  2. Same thing will occur with snow or gas that is liquified or condensed by compression, or any other matter that is condensed by any means. (I am not fully following the sentence, but I assume he is stating that the mass will remain the same?)
  3. I am assuming that there is no material that is escaping out of the volume in question.
  4. This quantity is what I will be referring to as body or mass.
  5. Similarly, this applies to the weight of the body which is proportional to the mass? (W=Mxg). I found this via accurate experiments on pendulums, which will be shown later.

Physics news on Phys.org
Um...you do know that the original was not in English, right?

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, Doc Al, berkeman and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Quid est problema dude? :wink:

• Haha
Likes DennisN and PeroK
berkeman said:
Quid est problema dude? :wink:

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Bystander and berkeman
PencilPusher said:
Similarly, this applies to the weight of the body which is proportional to the mass? (W=Mxg). I found this via accurate experiments on pendulums, which will be shown later.
Please be sure to define all of your terms in your equations. What is this "x"?

Oh wait...

1696029921793.png

• Haha
Likes dextercioby and PeroK
berkeman said:
Oh wait...
Getting punchy?

• Haha
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Quid est problema dude?
Semper ubi sub ubi!

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes hmmm27, BillTre and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Yep. It was in Latin. I am just reading the original translation for fun. It is hard to understand because it is old, I think it is 1729.

Likes PeroK
berkeman said:
Please be sure to define all of your terms in your equations. What is this "x"?

Oh wait...

View attachment 332805
Haha maybe I will find that proof later in his experiments with pendulums.

Your #3 is less restrictive than the original.
Your #1 has an embarrissingly significant math error that makes it invalid.

Likes Vanadium 50
If you haven't already, you might enjoy checking out S. Chandrashekhar's Newton's Principia for the Common Reader.

• Informative
Likes PeroK
PencilPusher said:
Yep. It was in Latin. I am just reading the original translation for fun. It is hard to understand because it is old, I think it is 1729.
1687. Newton was already dead in 1729.

Those old texts are hard to read and even harder to assess if you didn't have studied the subject really intensively beforehand. They used a completely different language, and I do not mean Latin.

"My modernization of ... Newton's Principia"

... is an extremely unfortunate thread title. Newton's book has been constantly modernized throughout the centuries, namely with every new generation studying it. It is what we now call the curriculum of mechanical physics. This means in return that every "improvement" - whether it is one or not - has already been made ever since. Moreover, such groundbreaking results like the Principia (or Euclid's Elements) are far more a historical document than a scientific treatise that needs "modernization". Hence, you can admit a lack of understanding, and I would be surprised if you hadn't those, but you can hardly "modernize" Newton.

Likes Tom.G and Vanadium 50
jtbell said:
Have you seen Cohen and Whitman's modern translation of the Principia?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0520290887/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm on the road right now, so I can't quote their version of Definition I from my copy.
This is excellent. I was looking for something exactly like that!

fresh_42 said:
1687. Newton was already dead in 1729.

Those old texts are hard to read and even harder to assess if you didn't have studied the subject really intensively beforehand. They used a completely different language, and I do not mean Latin.

"My modernization of ... Newton's Principia"

... is an extremely unfortunate thread title. Newton's book has been constantly modernized throughout the centuries, namely with every new generation studying it. It is what we now call the curriculum of mechanical physics. This means in return that every "improvement" - whether it is one or not - has already been made ever since. Moreover, such groundbreaking results like the Principia (or Euclid's Elements) are far more a historical document than a scientific treatise that needs "modernization". Hence, you can admit a lack of understanding, and I would be surprised if you hadn't those, but you can hardly "modernize" Newton.
I agree, I think I went about it the wrong way. I am basically interested to read this original work just to understand how these theories were originally presented. I understand that modern books have perfected the interpretation of all the discoveries and can present them in clear and concise way. I am going to check out the suggested Cohen and Whitman's by jtbell.

What is Definition I in Newton's Principia?

Definition I in Isaac Newton's "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" (commonly known as the Principia) refers to the definition of quantity of matter. Newton describes it as the measure of matter that arises from its density and volume jointly. This concept is foundational as it introduces the idea of mass in physics, which is crucial for the subsequent laws of motion and universal gravitation.

How have you modernized Definition I in Newton’s Principia?

The modernization of Definition I involves reinterpreting Newton's original text with contemporary scientific understanding and terminology. This includes clarifying the concept of mass as distinct from weight, emphasizing that mass is a property of an object that does not change regardless of location, whereas weight is the force exerted by gravity on that mass. Additionally, the modernization may involve integrating the concept with modern units of measurement and linking it to the conservation laws in physics.

Why is it important to modernize historical scientific texts like Newton's Principia?

Modernizing historical scientific texts helps make them more accessible and comprehensible to today's students and researchers. Scientific terminology and understanding have evolved significantly since the time of Newton. By updating the language and concepts, we ensure that foundational works remain relevant and useful in promoting a deeper understanding of modern science. Additionally, it helps in highlighting the continuity of scientific inquiry and the evolution of scientific thought.

What challenges are faced when modernizing texts such as Newton's Principia?

One of the primary challenges is maintaining the original intent and meaning of the author while updating the language and concepts for modern understanding. There is also the risk of anachronism, where modern concepts might be wrongly attributed to historical figures. Furthermore, translating scientific texts from Latin (the language in which Principia was originally written) to modern languages without losing nuances is another significant challenge.

How does the modernized Definition I impact the teaching of physics today?

The modernized Definition I impacts the teaching of physics by making the foundational concepts more relatable and understandable for students. It bridges the gap between classical physics and modern physics, showing the development from Newton's observations to contemporary principles. This not only aids in teaching the historical context of these concepts but also enhances students' appreciation of the progression and precision in scientific measurement and understanding over time.