Evaluate a Particle's Position at Given Times

In summary, the position of a particle moving along the x-axis can be calculated using the expression x = 3t^2, where x is in meters and t is in seconds. To evaluate its position at a given time, simply plug in the value for t. To find the velocity at a specific time, evaluate the limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches zero. This involves understanding the concept of change in x (Δx) and using algebraic manipulation to express the velocity in terms of t and Δt.
AryRezvani

Homework Statement

The position of a particle moving along the x-axis varies in time according to the expression x = 3t 2, where x is in meters and t is in seconds. Evaluate its position at the following times.
(
a) t = 2.30 s

(b) t = 2.30 s + Δt

(c) Evaluate the limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches zero to find the velocity at t = 2.30 s.
m/s

Homework Equations

Listed above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for part 'a)', I plugged in the given time (2.30) and got 15.87 meters.

At part 'b)' is where I get stumped. What would you do to find delta t?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
AryRezvani said:

Homework Statement

The position of a particle moving along the x-axis varies in time according to the expression x = 3t 2, where x is in meters and t is in seconds. Evaluate its position at the following times.
(
a) t = 2.30 s

(b) t = 2.30 s + Δt

(c) Evaluate the limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches zero to find the velocity at t = 2.30 s.
m/s

Homework Equations

Listed above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for part 'a)', I plugged in the given time (2.30) and got 15.87 meters.

At part 'b)' is where I get stumped. What would you do to find delta t?

Thanks.

You don't find Δt; You plug in the symbol Δt and expand the expression; at this point it is simply a variable. It may be worthwhile to replace the initial value of t (2.30s) with a symbol, too. Say, to = 2.30s. This may help keep the subsequent manipulations neat.

For part (c) you need to understand what is meant by Δx. That is, the change in x.

gneill said:
You don't find Δt; You plug in the symbol Δt and expand the expression; at this point it is simply a variable. It may be worthwhile to replace the initial value of t (2.30s) with a symbol, too. Say, to = 2.30s. This may help keep the subsequent manipulations neat.

For part (c) you need to understand what is meant by Δx. That is, the change in x.

Okay, so all you do is plug in the variables.

So I came up with X = 3(T+TΔ)^2

Would I FOIL it out, or something? How do I come up with a numerical answer?

I just foiled and got 3(5.29 + 4.60ΔT + ΔT^2)

Stuck here now, shoot. I have a feeling I'm way off...

AryRezvani said:
Okay, so all you do is plug in the variables.

So I came up with X = 3(T+TΔ)^2

Would I FOIL it out, or something? How do I come up with a numerical answer?

You don't. There's no numerical answer to this part unless a specific Δt is provided. A symbolic result is sometimes what you're looking for. Move on to the next part.

Related to Evaluate a Particle's Position at Given Times

1. What is the definition of particle position?

The position of a particle is its location in space at any given moment. It is typically described using a set of coordinates, such as x, y, and z, or using a vector that includes both magnitude and direction.

2. Why is it important to evaluate a particle's position?

Evaluating a particle's position allows us to track its movement and understand its behavior in a given system. This is crucial in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, where accurately knowing the position of particles is essential for predicting and manipulating their interactions.

3. What methods are used to evaluate a particle's position?

There are various methods for evaluating a particle's position, depending on the specific system and its properties. Some common methods include using sensors and detectors, analyzing data from experiments or simulations, and using mathematical equations and models to calculate the position based on other known factors.

4. How does evaluating a particle's position contribute to scientific research?

Evaluating a particle's position is a fundamental aspect of scientific research, particularly in the fields of physics and chemistry. It allows us to study the behavior and properties of particles, understand their interactions with other particles and forces, and make predictions about their behavior in different environments or conditions.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to evaluating a particle's position?

Yes, there can be challenges and limitations when it comes to accurately evaluating a particle's position. These can include experimental errors, limitations of sensors and detectors, and the inherent uncertainty and unpredictability of some systems. Additionally, in quantum mechanics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know a particle's exact position and momentum simultaneously, adding another layer of complexity to the evaluation process.