Evaluate Definite Integral $(x-3)^2$ and $(x+4)^2$

In summary: Oops, you are right. I misread that. Then a u-substitution would be necessary to get rid of the t^2 and u^2, and the integrals would be quite easy.
juantheron
Evaluation of $\displaystyle \int_{-5}^{-7}\ln \left(x-3\right)^2dx+2\int_{0}^{1}\ln(x+4)^2dx$

My Try:: Let $(x-3) = t$ Then $dx = dt$ and changing Limit, we get

and Again put $(x+4) = u,$ Then $dx = du$ and changing Limit, we get

$\displaystyle \int_{-8}^{-10}\ln(t^2)dt+2\int_{4}^{5}\ln(u)^2du$

Now How can I solve after That

Help me

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
Evaluation of $\displaystyle \int_{-5}^{-7}\ln \left(x-3\right)^2dx+2\int_{0}^{1}\ln(x+4)^2dx$

Help me

Thanks

$ln\, t^2 =2 \,ln\, t$ and then I think you know how to integrate ln t dt and as 1st limit is -ve use $(-t)^2$

jacks said:

Help me

Thanks

Since both of these are related to \(\displaystyle \int (\ln(x))^2 \;dx\) I will do this.

We use integration by parts with \(\displaystyle u=\ln(x)\) and \(\displaystyle dv=\ln(x)\). Then \(\displaystyle du=1/x\) and \(\displaystyle v=x\ln(x)-x\), and so:

\(\displaystyle \int (\ln(x))^2\;dx=\int u\; dv= u\; v - \int du\;v=x\ln(x)(\ln(x)-1) -\int (\ln(x) -1) \;dx\)

(note: I assume that \(\displaystyle x\) is positive over any range of integration we may use, which can always be arranged as long as \(\displaystyle 0\) is not in the range)

(note: This is also a standard integral, item 15.530 in Scham's Handbook)

Last edited:
zzephod said:
Since both of these are related to \(\displaystyle \int (\ln(x))^2 \;dx\) I will do this.

No they're not, they're related to $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( x^2 \right) } \end{align*}$, not $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left[ \ln{(x)} \right] ^2 \end{align*}$.

Related to Evaluate Definite Integral $(x-3)^2$ and $(x+4)^2$

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve between two specified points on a graph. It is used to calculate the total accumulation of a function over a given interval.

2. How do you evaluate a definite integral?

To evaluate a definite integral, you must first find the antiderivative of the function. Then, substitute the upper and lower limits of the interval into the antiderivative and subtract the result to find the area under the curve between those points.

3. Can you explain the notation used in definite integrals?

The notation used in definite integrals includes the integral sign "∫", the function being integrated, the variable of integration, and the upper and lower limits of the interval. For example, in the integral ∫(x-3)^2dx, x is the variable of integration and the limits of integration would be specified as part of the problem.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numeric value for the area under the curve between those points. An indefinite integral does not have limits of integration and gives a general antiderivative of a function.

5. How can definite integrals be used in real-world applications?

Definite integrals can be used to calculate physical quantities such as distance, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used in economics, physics, and engineering to find the total value or change in a variable over a given interval.