Evaluate Finite Summation Expression

In summary, the given expression can be evaluated by using the Noerdlund-Rice Integral, setting the parameters and adjusting the path accordingly. This process may be complex and require additional work.
bincy
How to evaluate the following expression?\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^{N} \binom{N}{i} \left(-1\right)^{i}\left(\frac{1}{2+i}\right)^{k} \)
regards,
Bincy

Physics news on Phys.org
bincybn said:
How to evaluate the following expression?\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^{N} \binom{N}{i} \left(-1\right)^{i}\left(\frac{1}{2+i}\right)^{k} \)
regards,
Bincy

Have you tried writing out the first few terms and the last 2 terms?

But I didn't get the ans.

bincybn said:

The explicit expression [if it exists...] of the finite sum may be [probably...] found using the so called 'Noerdlund- Rice Integral'...

$\displaystyle \sum_{j=\alpha}^{n} \binom{n}{j}\ (-1)^{j} f(j)= (-1)^{n} \frac{n!}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma} \frac{f(z)}{z\ (z-1)\ (z-2)...(z-n)}\ dz$ (1)

... setting $\alpha=0$, $\displaystyle f(z)=\frac{1}{(2+z)^{k}}$ and with proper choice of the path $\gamma$. The details are quite complex and require more work...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I would approach evaluating this finite summation expression by first understanding its components. The expression contains a summation symbol, denoted by the capital Greek letter sigma, which indicates that we need to add up a series of terms. The index i represents the variable that we will be summing over, starting at i=0 and ending at i=N. The expression also contains a binomial coefficient, denoted by the parentheses with N and i inside, which represents the number of ways to choose i objects from a set of N objects. Additionally, the expression contains a power of -1, which alternates between positive and negative values, and a fraction with a variable k in the exponent.

To evaluate this expression, we can use the concept of mathematical induction. We start by plugging in i=0 into the expression and then gradually increase i until we reach i=N. By doing so, we will have evaluated the expression for all values of i from 0 to N, and then we can add up all these values to get the final result.

In the first step, when i=0, the expression becomes \binom{N}{0} \left(-1\right)^{0}\left(\frac{1}{2+0}\right)^{k} = 1\cdot 1 \cdot \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{k} = \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{k}.

In the second step, when i=1, the expression becomes \binom{N}{1} \left(-1\right)^{1}\left(\frac{1}{2+1}\right)^{k} = N\cdot (-1) \cdot \left(\frac{1}{3}\right)^{k} = -N\cdot \left(\frac{1}{3}\right)^{k}.

Similarly, we can continue this process until we reach the final step when i=N. At this point, the expression becomes \binom{N}{N} \left(-1\right)^{N}\left(\frac{1}{2+N}\right)^{k} = 1\cdot (-1)^{N} \cdot \left(\frac{1}{N+2}\right)^{k} = (-1)^{N} \cdot \left(\frac{1}{N+2}\right)^

Related to Evaluate Finite Summation Expression

1. What is a finite summation expression?

A finite summation expression is a mathematical formula that represents the sum of a finite number of terms. It is typically written using the sigma notation Σ, where the index variable is listed below and above the sigma symbol, and the lower and upper limits of the summation are written to the right of the sigma symbol.

2. How do you evaluate a finite summation expression?

To evaluate a finite summation expression, you need to substitute the index variable with each value within the specified range and then add all the resulting terms. This process is also known as "plugging in" or "substituting in" the values. The final result is the sum of all the terms in the expression.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating a finite summation expression?

The purpose of evaluating a finite summation expression is to find the total value of a series or sequence of numbers. It can be used to solve various mathematical problems, such as calculating the area under a curve, finding the average of a set of numbers, and determining the total cost of a series of expenses.

4. Can a finite summation expression be evaluated using a calculator?

Yes, it is possible to evaluate a finite summation expression using a calculator. Most scientific and graphing calculators have a built-in function for calculating finite summations. You will need to input the expression, the limits of the summation, and the index variable, and the calculator will provide the final result.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a finite summation expression?

Some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a finite summation expression include forgetting to substitute the index variable with the correct values, not using the correct order of operations, and making errors when adding or subtracting the terms. It is also important to carefully check the limits of the summation and ensure they are written correctly.