What does it mean to summate from 1 upwards to something less than 1?

• I
  • Thread starter AVentura
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, summation from 1 to 0 is a mathematical expression used to calculate the sum of all the numbers from 1 to 0. It is represented by the notation ∑(n) and can be calculated using the formula (n)(n+1)/2. The purpose of this concept is to find the sum of a given range, including the lower and upper limits. It can be applied in real-life scenarios, but in most cases, the upper limit would not be 0. Other notations for summation from 1 to 0 include Σ(n).
AVentura
TL;DR Summary
The physical meaning (if any) of this type of summation.
Hello, I was finding the average value of the expression ##(1-1/n^2)## for values from 1 to infinity by evaluating the limit as N→∞ for:

## \displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{N} (1-1/n^{2})/N ##

and got what I expected, ##1##

What I didn't expect was to find that the general solution ##1-H_N^{(2)}/N## provided real values for ##N < 1##

Assuming that ##(1-1/n^2)## represents something physical, as in a statistical mechanics problem, what does it mean to summate from 1 upwards to something less than 1?

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That does not make any sense, I suggest you check your ## \LaTeX ##. What is ## H_N ##? It will be clearer if you write fractions using the \frac{}{} notatation: ## 1 - \frac{1}{n^2} ##.
AVentura said:
what does it mean to summate from 1 upwards to something less than 1?
It doesn't mean anything: clearly if ## N < 1 ## you cannot reach ## n = N ## by starting at ## n = 1 ## and moving upwards.

Likes Klystron
Thank you,

##H_n^{(r)}## is the generalized harmonic number

$$\lim_{N→0} [1-\frac{H_N^{(2)}}{N}]=1-2\zeta(3)≈-1.40411$$
where ##\zeta## is the Riemann zeta function.

So to recap
$$\lim_{N→0} \displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{N} \frac{(1-\frac{1}{n^{2}})}{N}≈-1.40411$$

or maybe it is clearer this way:

$$\lim_{N→0} \frac{\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{N} (1-\frac{1}{n^{2}})}{N}≈-1.40411$$

How could ##N## arrive at zero? Left turn at Albuquerque?

pbuk said:
It doesn't mean anything: clearly if ## N < 1 ## you cannot reach ## n = N ## by starting at ## n = 1 ## and moving upwards.

Physical meanings aside, it seems mathematically speaking even if ##N<1## one can reach ## n = N ## by starting at ## n = 1 ## and moving upwards.

Last edited:
AVentura said:
or maybe it is clearer this way:

$$\lim_{N→0} \frac{\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{N} (1-\frac{1}{n^{2}})}{N}≈-1.40411$$
I don't see how the summation here makes any sense. The index, n, starts off at 1, and increases in integer steps to N, which in a summation is assumed to be greater than or equal to the starting value of the index.

Likes pbuk
Yes, I agree. Perhaps someone could have a look at wolfram alpha's step by step proof for this answer. I must admit it is beyond me.

AVentura said:
##H_n^{(r)}## is the generalized harmonic number

$$\lim_{N→0} [1-\frac{H_N^{(2)}}{N}]=1-2\zeta(3)≈-1.40411$$
where ##\zeta## is the Riemann zeta function.
Check that and provide a reference please.

AVentura said:
Yes, I agree. Perhaps someone could have a look at wolfram alpha's step by step proof for this answer. I must admit it is beyond me.
Are you referring to equation 23 on the page on harmonic numbers? Where is your sum from ## 1..\infty ##?

I did see that, and I assume it's used somehow in the result I posted. I used wolfram's solver directly. I don't have "pro" so I can't see the steps.

I guess wolframalpha is just making a mistake. Perhaps it solves an intermediate step and then applies a limit that violates a previous step?

but $$\lim_{N→0} [1-\frac{H_N^{(2)}}{N}]=1-2\zeta(3)≈-1.40411$$
is very believable. ## H_N^{(2)} ## goes to zero as ##N## does. Just at a different rate.

Last edited:
No, this is nonsense. Given the two possibilities
  1. Wolfram Alpha is making a mistake
  2. You are making a mistake in your input to Wolfram Alpha (or your interpretation of the result)
I know which I find more believable. Why don't you post the link to the result?

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim+N->0+{∑(1-1/n^2)/N+,+n=1,N}
Untitled.png

Are we seeing the error right after the first step?
btw, WA gives real solutions for all ##N##, except the negative integers, which seem to all be negative infinity.

looks like there are less complicated ways to make WA do something like this:
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=∑n+,+n=1,N+,+N=0.5

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pbuk
The confusion is now clear.

For positive integer values of ## n ##, we define the generalised harmonic number $$ H_n^{(r)} = \sum_{k=1}^n \frac1{k^r} \tag 1 $$
(note that it helps to avoid confusion by avoiding using ## n ## for the index of summation and ## N ## for the limit).

We can also find a continuous function ## H(x, r) ## which interpolates the values of ## H_n^{(r)} ## at positive integer ## n ##; this function is described in the references to the linked Wolfram Alpha article. It can be shown that $$ \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{H(x, 2)}{x} = 2\zeta(3) \tag 2 $$ and this is indeed an interesting result.

However what you can't do is put these two together: equation (1) tells us about what happens at positive integer values, equation (2) tells us about what happens near 0.

Last edited:
Likes Mark44
AVentura said:
Are we seeing the error right after the first step?
btw, WA gives real solutions for all ##N##, except the negative integers, which seem to all be negative infinity.

looks like there are less complicated ways to make WA do something like this:
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=∑n+,+n=1,N+,+N=0.5
Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Thank you for your help clearing this up.

Have you seen in recent pop media the claim that ##1+2+3 ... \infty = -\frac {1} {12}## ?
I'm guessing it is a similar mistake. People are using the definition for the zeta function > 1 for the point s = -1.

Yes, there are a number of threads in this forum on that topic.

Analytic number theory is a fascinating branch of mathemetics about which I am afraid I know very little, but I know an abuse of notation when I see one!

Likes AVentura

1. What does "Summation from 1 to .... 0" mean?

"Summation from 1 to .... 0" is a mathematical notation that represents the sum of all numbers from 1 to a given number, including 1 and the given number. In this case, the given number is 0, so the summation would be 1+2+3+...+0.

2. Why does the summation from 1 to 0 equal 0?

This is because the summation from 1 to 0 means there are no numbers between 1 and 0 to add together. Therefore, the sum is equal to 0.

3. Can the summation from 1 to 0 be written in a different way?

Yes, the summation from 1 to 0 can also be written as the empty sum, denoted by ∅. This means that there are no terms to sum and the result is 0.

4. What is the purpose of using summation from 1 to 0 in mathematics?

The summation from 1 to 0 is often used in mathematical proofs and equations to simplify expressions and make them easier to solve. It also helps in understanding the concept of an empty sum and its properties.

5. Is the summation from 1 to 0 the same as the summation from 0 to 1?

No, the summation from 0 to 1 would include 0 as a term to be added, whereas the summation from 1 to 0 does not include 0. Therefore, the two summations would have different results, with the summation from 1 to 0 equaling 0 and the summation from 0 to 1 equaling 1.