How Do You Solve Tricky Integrals in AP Calculus?

• Thread starter smodak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of evaluating an integral involving non-elementary functions and suggests using numerical integration or a calculator to get an estimate. The person also mentions the use of the 2nd fundamental theorem of calculus in solving the problem.
smodak
Evaluate
upload_2017-11-22_16-26-33.png

What I tried so far is to break the denominator as (1+Cos2x). The integral of 1/(x^2+2) can be done with substituting x = sqrt(2)u and will evaluate to a constant times arctan (x/sqrt(2)) but I have no idea how to evaluate the rest. This is calculus AP (with real numbers only). My daughter asked me about this problem and I am stuck :). Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-22_16-26-33.png
    upload_2017-11-22_16-26-33.png
    635 bytes · Views: 696
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks quite difficult. A numerical integration (estimate) with increments ## \Delta x =.001 ## or smaller would be straightforward, but I don't see how to get an exact answer.

Likes smodak
Charles Link said:
It looks quite difficult. A numerical integration (estimate) with increments ## \Delta x =.001 ## or smaller would be straightforward, but I don't see how to get an exact answer.

It involves non-elementary functions. Maple evaluates the indefinite integral as
1/2*arctan(x)+1/4*Si(2*x-2*I)*sinh(2)+1/4*I*Ci(2*x-2*I)*cosh(2)+1/4*Si(2*x+2*I)*sinh(2)-1/4*I*cosh(2)*Ci(2*x+2*I),
where Si and Ci are the so-called "sine" and "cosine" integrals, defined as
$$\text{Si}(x) = \int_0^x \frac{\sin(t)}{t} \, dt,$$
and
$$\text{Ci}(x) = \gamma + \ln (x) + \int_0^x \frac{\cos(t) -1}{t} \, dt, $$
where ##\gamma## is Euler's constant.

Likes smodak and Charles Link
smodak said:
Evaluate View attachment 215463

What I tried so far is to break the denominator as (1+Cos2x). The integral of 1/(x^2+2) can be done with substituting x = sqrt(2)u and will evaluate to a constant times arctan (x/sqrt(2)) but I have no idea how to evaluate the rest. This is calculus AP (with real numbers only). My daughter asked me about this problem and I am stuck :). Any help is much appreciated.

Can you give the name of the section were this problem is given? I am thinking it has to do with series.

Likes smodak
MidgetDwarf said:
Can you give the name of the section were this problem is given? I am thinking it has to do with series.
This is given in the section of the 2nd fundamental theorem of calculus. I actually wrote to the person who created this problem. She just wrote to me that this she meant for it to be solved with a calculator (TI-84).

Likes Charles Link

What is an integral in calculus?

An integral in calculus is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is also known as the antiderivative of a function, and it is used to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning that it calculates the exact area under a curve within those limits. An indefinite integral does not have any limits of integration, and it represents a family of functions that have the same derivative.

How do you evaluate an integral?

To evaluate an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You also need to remember the properties of integrals, such as linearity and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, to simplify the integral and find the solution.

What is the purpose of finding the area under a curve?

Finding the area under a curve is useful in many applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can help determine the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object, as well as the total cost, revenue, and profit in business situations.

How can I prepare for an integral calculus exam?

To prepare for an integral calculus exam, you should practice solving a variety of integrals using different techniques. You should also review the properties of integrals and practice applying them to solve problems. Additionally, it is helpful to review your notes and textbook, and to seek help from your teacher or a tutor if needed.