Evaluate the change in redshift over 10 years

In summary, the given model for an accelerating universe has equations that can be used to evaluate the change in redshift over 10 years for a source at z=1 and the change in recession velocity. This involves using the rate of change formula and considering a κ=0 universe with no cosmological constant. To approximate the change in redshift, one can use the formula Δz≈t1H0(1+z-((1+z)3/2)), where t1 is the time period of 10 years. However, this may result in a negative number for the change in z, which would indicate a blueshift.
HawkEye5220

Homework Statement

I am given a model where for an accelerating universe the redshift changes according to the following equations (given in part b). For this model and assuming that H0=70km/s/Mpc, evaluate the change in redshift over 10 years, for a source at z=1 and the change in recession velocity

Homework Equations

rate of change is [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/itex]=H0(1+z)-H(z) where H(z) is the Hubble parameter
In this case I am considering a κ=0 universe with no cosmological constant, so H(z)=H0(1+z)3/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the long way would be to take the integral of the [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/itex] formula from z=1 to z' over the entire time period. What I am wondering is, because of how minute the change would probably be is it acceptable to approximate this as:
Δz≈t1H0(1+z-((1+z)3/2)) where t1=10 years?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am asking because when I calculate this I get a negative number for the change in z. Wouldn't this be a blueshift?

1. What is redshift?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which electromagnetic radiation, such as light, is shifted towards longer wavelengths as it travels through space. This shift is caused by the expansion of the universe.

2. How is redshift measured?

Redshift is measured using a unit called "z", which is calculated by dividing the observed wavelength of light by the rest wavelength of that light. A higher value of z indicates a larger redshift.

3. Why is it important to evaluate the change in redshift over 10 years?

Evaluating the change in redshift over a period of time can provide valuable information about the expansion rate of the universe and the distance of celestial objects. This data can help us better understand the evolution of the universe.

4. What factors can cause a change in redshift over 10 years?

The main factor that can cause a change in redshift over time is the expansion of the universe. However, other factors such as the motion of celestial objects or the presence of large amounts of matter can also contribute to changes in redshift.

5. How is the change in redshift over 10 years calculated?

The change in redshift over 10 years can be calculated by comparing the redshift values of the same celestial object observed at two different times. The difference between the two values will indicate the change in redshift over the specified time period.