Evaluate the surface integral ##\iint\limits_{\sum} f\cdot d\sigma##

In summary, the conversation is about a surface integral problem involving the summation operator and capital sigma. The expert summarizer provides a summary of the conversation, highlighting the incorrect use of the z component and suggesting simpler parameters for the surface integral. The expert also points out a possible typographical error in the given answer and offers a correct solution involving a function with a third term of 2z. Additional confusion arises around this third term in the conversation.
WMDhamnekar
MHB
Homework Statement
Evaluate the surface integral ##\iint\limits_{\sum}f \cdot d\sigma## where ##f(x,y,z) = x^2\hat{i} + xy\hat{j} + z^2\hat{k}## and ##\sum## is the part of the plane 6x + 3y + 2z =6 with ##x \geq 0, y \geq 0, ## and ##z \geq 0 ## with the outward unit normal n pointing in the positive z direction
Relevant Equations
None
1658069577051.png

But the answer provided is ##\frac{15}{4} ## How is that? What is wrong in the above computation of answer?

Attachments

• 1658069417290.png
    1658069417290.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 81
Physics news on Phys.org
\sum produces the summation operator [itex]\sum[/itex]; \Sigma produces a capital sigma [itex]\Sigma[/itex].

You haven't used the correct [itex]z[/itex] component of [itex]\mathbf{f}[/itex]; it should be [itex]z^2[/itex], not [itex]z[/itex] as you have.

As regards the rest of your working, it is simplest to just use [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] as parameters rather than introducing [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex]. Then [tex]d\boldsymbol{\sigma} =
\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \end{pmatrix} \times
\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \end{pmatrix}\,dx\,dy
= \begin{pmatrix} - \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \\ -\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}\,dx\,dy
= \begin{pmatrix} 3 \\ \tfrac32 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}\,dx\,dy
[/tex] and the surface integral then reduces to [tex]
\begin{split}
\iint_\Sigma \mathbf{f} \cdot d\boldsymbol{\sigma} &=
\int_0^1 \int_0^{2(1-x)} 3x^2 + \tfrac32xy + \left(3 - 3x - \tfrac32y\right)^2\,dy \,dx
\\
&= \int_0^1 \int_0^{2(1-x)} \tfrac32 x(2x+y) + \left(3 - \tfrac32(2x+y)\right)^2\,dy\,dx \\
&= \int_0^1 \int_{2x}^2 \tfrac32 xu + 2\left(3 - \tfrac32 u\right)^2\,du\,dx
\end{split}
[/tex] using the substitution [itex]u = 2x + y[/itex] in the inner integral (I think this substitution simplifies the algebra significantly, thereby reducing the scope for errors).

Likes Delta2
pasmith said:
\sum produces the summation operator [itex]\sum[/itex]; \Sigma produces a capital sigma [itex]\Sigma[/itex].

You haven't used the correct [itex]z[/itex] component of [itex]\mathbf{f}[/itex]; it should be [itex]z^2[/itex], not [itex]z[/itex] as you have.

As regards the rest of your working, it is simplest to just use [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] as parameters rather than introducing [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex]. Then [tex]d\boldsymbol{\sigma} =
\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \end{pmatrix} \times
\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \end{pmatrix}\,dx\,dy
= \begin{pmatrix} - \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \\ -\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}\,dx\,dy
= \begin{pmatrix} 3 \\ \tfrac32 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}\,dx\,dy
[/tex] and the surface integral then reduces to [tex]
\begin{split}
\int_0^1 \int_0^{2(1-x)} 3x^2 + \tfrac32xy + \left(3 - 3x - \tfrac32y\right)^2\,dy \,dx
\\
&= \int_0^1 \int_0^{2(1-x)} \tfrac32 x(2x+y) + \left(3 - \tfrac32(2x+y)\right)^2\,dy\,dx \\
&= \int_0^1 \int_{2x}^2 \tfrac32 xu + 2\left(3 - \tfrac32 u\right)^2\,du\,dx
\end{split}
[/tex] using the substitution [itex]u = 2x + y[/itex] in the inner integral (I think this substitution simplifies the algebra significantly, thereby reducing the scope for errors).
Z compnent is correct. It is ##z\hat{k}## I wrote it wrongly in the homework statement. Sorry for that.

WMDhamnekar said:
Z compnent is correct. It is ##z\hat{k}## I wrote it wrongly in the homework statement. Sorry for that.

Then we should have [tex]
\begin{split}
\int_0^1 \int_0^{2(1-x)} 3x^2 + \tfrac32xy + \left(3 - 3x - \tfrac32y\right)\,dy \,dx
\\
&= \int_0^1 \int_0^{2(1-x)} \tfrac32 x(2x+y) + \left(3 - \tfrac32(2x+y)\right)\,dy\,dx \\
&= \int_0^1 \int_{2x}^2 \tfrac32 xu + 2\left(3 - \tfrac32 u\right)\,du\,dx
\end{split}
[/tex] which does give the result [itex]\frac{15}4[/itex]. However, looking at it again I cnanot justify the factor of 2 which mysteriously appears in front of the second term in the final line, and removing it I then get [tex]
\int_0^1 \int_{2x}^2 3ux + 3 - \tfrac32u\,du\,dx = \frac 74[/tex] which is your answer.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes benorin, Delta2 and WMDhamnekar
@pasmith e hehe what do you mean you cannot justify that factor of 2...So the correct result is 7/4 afterall?

Ah maybe I see now, maybe you mean that that z^2 is meant to be 2z instead?

@WMDhamnekar can you please make sure which exactly function is f? Is it $$f(x,y,z)=x^2\hat i+xy\hat j+2z\hat k$$?

Delta2 said:
@pasmith e hehe what do you mean you cannot justify that factor of 2...So the correct result is 7/4 afterall?

Between the second and third lines the integrand somehow changes from [itex]3x^2 + 3xy/2 + z[/itex] to [itex]3x^2 + 3xy/2 + 2z[/itex] which I think is a typo on my part. The fact that this yields what the OP says is the given answer may or may not be coincidence. But without that erroneous factor of 2 I obtain 7/4. So either the given answer is incorrect or the OP has transcribed the problem incorrectly.

Likes Delta2
pasmith said:
Between the second and third lines the integrand somehow changes from [itex]3x^2 + 3xy/2 + z[/itex] to [itex]3x^2 + 3xy/2 + 2z[/itex] which I think is a typo on my part. The fact that this yields what the OP says is the given answer may or may not be coincidence. But without that erroneous factor of 2 I obtain 7/4. So either the given answer is incorrect or the OP has transcribed the problem incorrectly.
If f(x,y,z) = x2i + xyj + 3zk , then we get the answer ##\frac{15}{4}##. So, there may be typographical error in the book.

WMDhamnekar said:
If f(x,y,z) = x2i + xyj + 3zk , then we get the answer ##\frac{15}{4}##. So, there may be typographical error in the book.
you mean ##+2z\hat k##... Seems that third term is cursed in this thread lol...

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total value of a function over a surface. It is similar to a double integral, but instead of integrating over a region in the xy-plane, it integrates over a surface in three-dimensional space.

2. What is the notation for a surface integral?

The notation for a surface integral is ##\iint\limits_{\sum} f\cdot d\sigma##, where ##\sum## represents the surface over which the integral is being evaluated, ##f## is the function being integrated, and ##d\sigma## represents the infinitesimal surface area element.

3. How is a surface integral evaluated?

A surface integral is evaluated by first parameterizing the surface into a two-dimensional domain, typically using u and v as parameters. The integral is then calculated by integrating the function over this domain and multiplying by the magnitude of the cross product of the partial derivatives of the parameterization.

4. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the flux of a vector field through a surface, finding the area of a curved surface, and determining the mass and center of mass of a three-dimensional object. They are also used in computer graphics to render three-dimensional objects.

5. What are some common techniques for solving surface integrals?

Some common techniques for solving surface integrals include using parametric equations to parameterize the surface, using symmetry to simplify the integral, and using special coordinate systems such as spherical or cylindrical coordinates. It is also important to carefully choose the orientation of the surface and the direction of the normal vector when setting up the integral.