Evaluating a Reversed Order Double Integral

In summary, the task at hand is to evaluate the given integral by reversing the order of integration. After attempting the solution, the final integral to be evaluated is \int^{1}_{0} 2x^2e^{x^3}dx. To integrate this, a substitution of u=x^3 can be made.
unreal89

Homework Statement

Eveluate by reversing order of integration

[tex]\int^{2}_{0}\int^{1}_{y/2} ye^{x^3}dxdy[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

this is what I got...

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{2x}_{0} ye^{x^3}dydx[/tex]

I end up with...

[tex]\int^{1}_{0} 2x^2e^{x^3}dx[/tex]

I don't know how to integrate this... any tips? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
almost there - try a substitution

I'm sorry for being so slow... But I'm not sure what to substitute? Thanks

unreal89 said:
I'm sorry for being so slow... But I'm not sure what to substitute? Thanks

Well, you probably know how to integrate [itex]e^u du[/itex], so maybe try the substitution [itex]u=x^3[/itex] and see what happens.:wink:

Related to Evaluating a Reversed Order Double Integral

1. What is an impossible double integral?

An impossible double integral is a mathematical concept that refers to an integral that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It usually involves complex functions or boundaries that make it impossible to find an exact solution.

2. Why is it called an "impossible" double integral?

An impossible double integral is called so because it cannot be solved using traditional methods. It does not mean that it is an impossible concept, but rather that it is impossible to find an exact solution using the methods typically used for solving integrals.

3. Can an impossible double integral ever be solved?

Yes, while an impossible double integral cannot be solved using traditional methods, it can still be approximated using numerical methods such as Monte Carlo integration or Gaussian quadrature. These methods provide an approximate solution with a certain level of accuracy.

4. What are some common reasons for an impossible double integral?

There are several reasons why a double integral may be impossible to solve. Some common reasons include the function being too complex, the boundaries being too complicated, or the integral being undefined.

5. Are there any real-world applications of an impossible double integral?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of an impossible double integral. For example, in physics, double integrals are used to calculate the work done by a variable force, but in some cases, the integrals may be impossible to solve using traditional methods. Numerical methods can then be used to approximate the solution and make the calculations possible.