Evaluating an expression for peculiar acceleration

In summary, an expression for peculiar acceleration is a mathematical representation of an object's rate of change in velocity over time, considering non-gravitational forces. This is important for understanding and predicting the motion of objects in space, as well as identifying unknown forces. It is calculated by taking the derivative of velocity with respect to time using calculus techniques. Factors such as nearby objects, non-gravitational forces, and space-time curvature can affect peculiar acceleration. Real-world applications include astrophysics, aerospace engineering, and everyday scenarios such as predicting the trajectory of objects or calculating car accelerations.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am trying to obtain this graph
Screenshot from 2022-02-08 12-59-16.png

from this expression
Screenshot from 2022-02-08 12-46-34.png

but somehow I cannot obtain it. In the same article it is given that
$$r_s = r_v/c$$, $$r = R_c\theta / cos(\beta)$$ and $$C = (\log(1+c)-\frac{c}{1+c})^{-1}$$
So for Virgo cluster my values are,

##R_C = 15 Mpc##, ##r_v=2.2 Mpc##, ##c=4##, ##M_v=1.2\times 10^{15} M_{\odot}##, ##\beta=0.75##, ##\theta=0.15/4 \equiv 0.0375##.

For this values I am getting ##s=2.193##, but its clear that I should get around ##s~\sim 1.2##. Here we are taking ##\Delta t = 10## years. Anyone can see where am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

The article is here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0370269307014992?via=ihub [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/W8mtg.png
[2]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/MYx01.png

Space news on Phys.org

it is important to carefully analyze the equations and make sure all the variables are correctly accounted for. In this case, it seems that the value of ##r## is not properly calculated. It should be ##r = R_c\theta / cos(\beta) = (15 \text{ Mpc}) (0.0375) / cos(0.75) \approx 5.3 \text{ Mpc}##.

Furthermore, the value of ##s## should be calculated as ##s = r_s / \Delta t = (2.2 \text{ Mpc}) / (10 \text{ years}) \approx 0.22 \text{ Mpc/year}##. This value is in good agreement with the expected value of ##s \sim 0.2 \text{ Mpc/year}## in the graph.

It is important to always double check calculations and make sure all the variables are correctly accounted for. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in the field to verify the results and discuss any discrepancies.

1. What is an expression for peculiar acceleration?

An expression for peculiar acceleration is a mathematical representation of the rate of change of an object's velocity due to non-gravitational forces, such as air resistance or friction.

2. How is an expression for peculiar acceleration evaluated?

An expression for peculiar acceleration is evaluated by plugging in the values for the variables in the expression and simplifying the resulting equation to find the numerical value of the acceleration.

3. What factors can affect the peculiar acceleration of an object?

The peculiar acceleration of an object can be affected by various factors, such as the object's mass, the magnitude and direction of non-gravitational forces, and the presence of other objects in the surrounding environment.

4. Why is evaluating an expression for peculiar acceleration important in scientific research?

Evaluating an expression for peculiar acceleration is important in scientific research as it allows for a better understanding of the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. This information can then be used to make predictions and improve models and theories.

5. Can an expression for peculiar acceleration be used for any type of object?

Yes, an expression for peculiar acceleration can be used for any type of object as long as the forces acting on the object are known and can be incorporated into the expression. This includes both natural and man-made objects, such as planets, satellites, and vehicles.