Evaluating integral born approximation

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an integral for the scattering cross section of a spherically symmetrical potential. Mathematica is used to find the answer, but the person is unsure of how to do it by hand. The correct method involves transforming the integral into Cartesian coordinates and using part integration and Euler's formula. The final result is the same as the one given by Mathematica.
yxgao
Hi,
I'm trying to evaluate the following integral to calculate the scattering cross section for a spherically symmetrical potential [tex]e^{\frac{-r^2}{a^2}}[/tex]?

[tex]f(\theta)=\int r e^{\frac{-r^2}{a^2}} sin(kr) dr[/tex] where a is a constant.

What is the easiest way to evaluate this? I was able to get the answer by doing the integral using Mathematica but I don't know how to do this by hand.

Also, is the approximation better for low energies or high energies??
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
IIRC,the scattering amplitude and the differential cross section are given by:
[tex] \frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=|f(\vartheta)|^{2} [/tex] (1)

For your potential:[itex] V(r)=V_{0}\exp(\frac{-r^{2}}{a^{2}}) [/tex]
,the scattering amplitude is
[tex] f(\vartheta)=-\frac{2mV_{0}}{\hbar^{2}}\int_{0}^{\infty} r^{2} [\exp(\frac{-r^{2}}{a^{2}})] \frac{\sin(Kr)}{Kr} dr [/tex] (2)
,where
[tex] K=2k\sin\frac{\vartheta}{2} [/tex]

I suggest u plug the integral from (2) in 'Mathematica' and use the result the software gives to find (1).

Your formula was wrong then.

Daniel.

For small energies scattering ('k' very small=>K very small),the result is very easy to get:
[tex]\frac{\sin Kr}{Kr} \sim 1 [/tex]
,and your integral is immediate:
[tex]f(\vartheta)=-\frac{2mV_{0}}{\hbar^{2}}\int_{0}^{\infty} r^{2}\exp[\frac{-r^{2}}{a^{2}}] dr =...=-\frac{mV_{0}a^{3}\sqrt{2\pi}}{\hbar^{2}} [/tex]
,where i made use of part integration and the value for the Poisson integral.

So the differential scattering cross section is:
[tex] \frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} =[-\frac{mV_{0}a^{3}\sqrt{2\pi}}{\hbar^{2}}]^{2} =\frac{2\pi m^{2}V_{0}^{2} a^{6}}{\hbar^{4}}[/tex](1)

Integrating (1),u get the integral scattering cross section:
[tex]\sigma =\frac{8\pi^{2} m^{2}V_{0}^{2} a^{6}}{\hbar^{4}}[/tex] (2)
,which should be the answer given by the Born approximation for low,very low energies.

Daniel.

I made a mistake in my equation. The correct one is this:

[tex]f(\theta)=\int r e^{\frac{-r^2}{a^2}} sin(kr) dr[/tex] where a is a constant.

This equation gives the scattering amplitude for spherical symmetry.
If I write this as:
[tex]f(\theta)=\int r^2 e^{\frac{-r^2}{a^2}} \frac{sin(kr)}{r} dr[/tex]

[tex]\frac{sin(kr)}{r}[/tex] is approximately 1

[tex]f(\theta)=\int r^2 e^{\frac{-r^2}{a^2}} dr[/tex]

However, this gives me an answer that is not dependent on k. Low-energy scattering wasn't specified.

This is how I did the problem:
The potential is [tex]V(r)=V e^{\frac{-r^2}{a^2}}[/tex]

[tex]f(\theta) = -\frac{2m}{\hbar^{2} \kappa} \int_{0}^{\infty} r V e^{\frac{-r^2}{a^2}} sin(kr) dr

= \frac{-a^3 V e^{-\frac{1}{4} a^{2} \kappa^2} m \sqrt{\pi} v}{2 \hbar^2} [/tex]

Since [tex]\kappa = 2 k {sin(\theta/2)}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} = |f(\theta)|^2 =\frac{a^6 m^2 V^2 \pi}{4 \hbar^4} e^{-\frac{a^2}{2} (2 k sin(\theta/2))^2}[/tex]

where [tex] E = \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m} [/tex]

I get the correct answer, but my question is how do you evaluate the integral by hand for [tex]f(\theta)[/tex]. I did it on Mathematica but this is supposed to be a sample exam question where we're supposed to do it by hand... the solution says one way to do it is to transform into cartesian coordinates, but I'm confused about how to do this.

Thanks!

YG

Last edited:
Okay,let's do it by hand.
U want to compute this function
[tex] f(\theta)=-\frac{2mV}{\hbar^{2}\kappa}\int_{0}^{+\infty} re^{-\frac{r^{2}}{a^{2}}} \sin(\kappa r) dr [/tex] (1)

Let's concentrate upon the integral.Call it 'I'.We can write
[tex]f(\theta)=-\frac{2mV}{\hbar^{2}\kappa} I [/tex] (2)
,where I is given by
[tex] I=:\int_{0}^{+\infty} re^{-\frac{r^{2}}{a^{2}}} \sin(\kappa r) dr [/tex] (3)

Using part integration,we find:
[tex] I=\int_{0}^{+\infty} \sin(\kappa r)(-\frac{a^{2}}{2}) d(e^{-\frac{r^{2}}{a^{2}}}) =-\frac{a^{2}}{2}\{[\sin (\kappa r)e^{-\frac{r^{2}}{a^{2}}}]|_{0}^{+\infty} -k\int_{0}^{+\infty} \cos(\kappa r)e^{-\frac{r^{2}}{a^{2}}} dr \} =\frac{ka^{2}}{2}\int_{0}^{+\infty} \cos(\kappa r)e^{-\frac{r^{2}}{a^{2}}} dr [/tex] (4)

Call the last integral of (4) by J.Therefore:
[tex] I=\frac{ka^{2}}{2} J [/tex] (5)
We need to find J.
We use Euler's formula to get
[tex]J=Re(\int_{0}^{+\infty} e^{i\kappa r-\frac{r^{2}}{a^{2}}} dr) [/tex] (6)
,which can be written as follows
[tex]J=Re(\int_{0}^{+\infty} e^{-[(\frac{r}{a})^{2}-2\frac{r}{a}\frac{i\kappa a}{2}+(\frac{i\kappa a}{2})^{2}]} e^{+(\frac{i\kappa a}{2})^{2}} dr =a e^{-\frac{\kappa^{2}a^{2}}{4}}Re[\int_{0}^{+\infty} e^{-(\frac{r}{a}-\frac{i\kappa a}{2})^{2}} d(\frac{r}{a}-\frac{i\kappa a}{2})] [/tex](7)

In the last integral make the obvious substitution [itex] (\frac{r}{a}-\frac{i\kappa a}{2})\rightarrow z [/itex] (8)
,and u'll be getting
[tex]J=a e^{-\frac{\kappa^{2}a^{2}}{4}}Re[\int_{0}^{+\infty} e^{-z^{2}} dz] (8)=\frac{a\sqrt{\pi}}{2}e^{-\frac{\kappa^{2}a^{2}}{4}} [/tex](9)

Go with (9) in (5) and get I:
[tex]I=\frac{\kappa a^{3}\sqrt{\pi}}{4} e^{-\frac{\kappa^{2}a^{2}}{4}} [/tex] (10)

Go with I given by (10) into (2) to find the amplitude of scattering
[tex]f(\theta)=-\frac{mVa^{3}\sqrt{\pi}}{2\hbar^{2}}e^{-\frac{\kappa^{2}a^{2}}{4}} [/tex] (11)

,which is just the result 'Mathematica' gives u.So the software is correct.

Daniel.

Related to Evaluating integral born approximation

1. What is the integral born approximation?

The integral born approximation is a mathematical tool used to evaluate integrals in quantum mechanics. It is based on the assumption that the potential field in which particles are moving is weak, allowing for a simplified calculation of the integral.

2. How is the integral born approximation used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the integral born approximation is used to calculate the scattering of particles off a potential field. It allows for a simplified calculation of the scattering amplitude, which is a measure of the probability of particles being scattered at a specific angle.

3. What are the limitations of the integral born approximation?

The integral born approximation is only applicable in situations where the potential field is weak. It also assumes that the particles being scattered are non-interacting and that the potential field is spherically symmetric. Additionally, it is only accurate at low energies.

4. How does the integral born approximation differ from other methods of evaluating integrals?

The integral born approximation differs from other methods of evaluating integrals in that it is specifically designed for use in quantum mechanics. It takes into account the wave nature of particles and the potential field in which they are moving, resulting in a simplified calculation.

5. Can the integral born approximation be used for all types of integrals?

No, the integral born approximation is only applicable to certain types of integrals in quantum mechanics. It is most commonly used for evaluating integrals related to particle scattering, but it may also be used for other types of integrals in specific cases.