Evaluating line integrals versus Green's Theorem

In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation using green's theorem and integrating over the area, but made an error in the calculation.
theno1katzman

Homework Statement

Find the simple closed integral of (x+xy-y)(dx+dy) counterclockwise around the path of straight line segments from the origin to (0,1) to (1,0) to the origin...
a)as a line integral
b)using green's theorem

Homework Equations

Eq of line segment r(t)=(1-t)r0+tr1

Greens Theorem states that Integral of Pdx+Qdy on a closed simple path will equal the double integral or area of dQ/dx-dP/dy (see the work I did)

The Attempt at a Solution

See the pictures. The two were supposed to be equal, I just needed to show how to arrive at the same answer using both methods. The triangle shows the graph of the path, horizontal is x axis, vertical is y axis. The C2 on the left of the triangle should say C3, sorry. Also the first integral should read (1+y) not (1-y)

Attachments

• 82a.jpg
    82a.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 474
  • 82b.jpg
    82b.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One obvious error is in saying that
[tex]\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}= 1- y[/tex]
Q= x+ xy- y so
[tex]\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}= 1+ y[/tex]

but it is written correctly in the next line so that's not the problem.

I notice you then integrate, in integrating over the area,
[tex]\int_{y=0}^{-x}[/tex]
Why is that? The upper boundary is y= x, not y= -x. It looks to me like you should be integrating [itex]2x+ x^2/2- x^2= 2x- x^2/2[/itex] with respect to x. That would give [itex]\left[x^2- x^3/6\right]_0^1= 5/6[/itex] rather than -1/2.

Last edited by a moderator:
But that wouldn't give you the same answer for part a and b...
Why would that give y=x for the boundary. I looked it over again with my calculator, that upper boundary line (hypotenuse) is y=-x+1
however integrating that you end up with 2, which is still not the same as part a.

theno1katzman said:
But that wouldn't give you the same answer for part a and b...
Why would that give y=x for the boundary. I looked it over again with my calculator, that upper boundary line (hypotenuse) is y=-x+1
however integrating that you end up with 2, which is still not the same as part a.
Yes, you are right about that- I misread your problem.

But, still, the integral should be from 0 to 1- x, not to just -x.

1. What is the difference between evaluating line integrals and using Green's Theorem?

Line integrals involve calculating the integral of a function along a given curve. On the other hand, Green's Theorem allows us to evaluate the same integral by converting it into a double integral over a region in the plane.

2. When should I use Green's Theorem instead of directly evaluating a line integral?

Green's Theorem is particularly useful when the curve is simple and the region in the plane is easier to work with. It can also be used to evaluate line integrals over closed curves, which can be difficult to do directly.

3. How do I know if a given curve and region are suitable for using Green's Theorem?

For Green's Theorem to be applicable, the curve must be simple (i.e. non-self-intersecting) and the region in the plane must be simply connected (i.e. it does not have any holes or gaps).

4. Can I always use Green's Theorem to evaluate a line integral?

No, Green's Theorem is not always applicable. It can only be used when the curve and region meet the necessary criteria mentioned above.

5. How can I use Green's Theorem to simplify a line integral?

To use Green's Theorem, first convert the line integral into a double integral over the region in the plane. Then, use the appropriate formulas to evaluate the double integral, which will give the same result as the line integral.