Evaluation of SMASH - most minimal extension of SM

• I
  • Thread starter kodama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extension
In summary: Supersymmetry by itself does not solve the strong CP problem. However, adding an axion and its superpartner the axino, as done in SMASH, solves the strong CP problem. Supersymmetry/mssm by itself also offers the inflaton and account for neutrino masses.
kodama
does this paper

Standard Model-Axion-Seesaw-Higgs Portal Inflation. Five problems of particle physics and cosmology solved in one stroke
Guillermo Ballesteros, Javier Redondo, Andreas Ringwald, Carlos Tamarit
(Submitted on 5 Oct 2016)
We present a minimal extension of the Standard Model (SM) providing a consistent picture of particle physics from the electroweak scale to the Planck scale and of cosmology from inflation until today. Three right-handed neutrinos Ni, a new color triplet Q and a complex SM-singlet scalar σ, whose vacuum expectation value vσ∼1011 GeV breaks lepton number and a Peccei-Quinn symmetry simultaneously, are added to the SM. At low energies, the model reduces to the SM, augmented by seesaw generated neutrino masses and mixing, plus the axion. The latter solves the strong CP problem and accounts for the cold dark matter in the Universe. The inflaton is comprised by a mixture of σ and the SM Higgs and reheating of the Universe after inflation proceeds via the Higgs portal. Baryogenesis occurs via thermal leptogenesis. Thus, five fundamental problems of particle physics and cosmology are solved at one stroke in this unified Standard Model - Axion - Seesaw - Higgs portal inflation (SMASH) model. It can be probed decisively by upcoming cosmic microwave background and axion dark matter experiments.
Subjects: High Energy Physics - Phenomenology (hep-ph); Cosmology and Nongalactic Astrophysics (astro-ph.CO); General Relativity and Quantum Cosmology (gr-qc); High Energy Physics - Theory (hep-th)
Cite as: arXiv:1610.01639 [hep-ph]

succeed in solving the issues, by adding the fewest number of fields and particles to the SM to solve these problems?

add in some form of non-SUSY 4D QG in the form of AS safe gravity or LQG and all major issues of physics solved.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't fully understand about that heavy quark Q. It is a right-handed quark (meaning SU(2) singlet)? Okay, but then they say it has weak hypercharge -1/3. This means that it has electric charge of -1/6? They also say that it can mix with down-quarks. But right-handed down quarks have weak hypercharge of -2/3, not -1/3. Something does not add up here. It's almost like the paper mixes up electric charge with weak hypercharge.

• Skeptical
Likes arivero
nikkkom said:
Okay, but then they say it has weak hypercharge -1/3. This means that it has electric charge of -1/6?

The relation between electric- and hypercharge is not unique (see e.g. the comment in the wikipedia entry http://hthttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_hypercharge , though I would disagree that it is only a minority that uses this convention...). However, I would guess their convention is also that $Y = Q - I_W^3$. That way, electric charge is equal to hyper charge for SU(2) singlets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the general approach. An inflaton field probably isn't needed since the effective action for gravity under the asymptotic safety scenario has extra terms that lead naturally to an inflationary phase*.

* https://arxiv.org/abs/0911.3165

MrRobotoToo said:
I like the general approach. An inflaton field probably isn't needed since the effective action for gravity under the asymptotic safety scenario has extra terms that lead naturally to an inflationary phase*.

* https://arxiv.org/abs/0911.3165

what would be the most minimal extension of the SM that solves the 5 listed problems?

kodama said:
what would be the most minimal extension of the SM that solves the 5 listed problems?
We do not have such an extension so we don't know the minimal one. We have approaches that might turn out to work in the future, but I would be surprised if any of them work without further modifications. This includes SMASH.

Likes kodama
mfb said:
We do not have such an extension so we don't know the minimal one. We have approaches that might turn out to work in the future, but I would be surprised if any of them work without further modifications. This includes SMASH.

SMASH got a lot of publicity in the press, as the first approach that solves , five fundamental problems of particle physics and cosmology are solved at one stroke - are there other approaches that also solve these same five problems and does so minimally ?

kodama said:
SMASH got a lot of publicity in the press
So did various other approaches.
kodama said:
as the first approach that solves , five fundamental problems of particle physics and cosmology are solved at one stroke
See above: it might solve them. We don't know, more research is needed.

You can also tune supersymmetry to nearly everything. The advantage of SMASH is the smaller number of free parameters.

Likes kodama
mfb said:
So did various other approaches.See above: it might solve them. We don't know, more research is needed.

You can also tune supersymmetry to nearly everything. The advantage of SMASH is the smaller number of free parameters.

does mssm and supersymmetry by itself solve the strong cp problem? i understand you can add an axion and its superpartner the axino, but that SMASH just adds axion without supersymmetry. and does supersymmetry/mssm by itself also offer inflaton and account for neutrino masses?

In my view, SMASH clumps together some of the ugliest and baroque approaches to issues with the Standard Model and is almost certainly incorrect.

1. I don't think that the strong CP problem or that axions are necessary to solve anything.
2. I don't think that axions are an attractive dark matter candidate.
3. I think that the seesaw mechanism to generate neutrino masses is misguided.
4. I don't think that right handed neutrinos are necessary or that they exist.
5. I don't think that baryon number violation or lepton number violation have any plausible chance of being broken by a TeV scale complex scalar.
6. Most simple models of inflation were ruled out empirically by the Planck data and it is not at all obvious that a mixture of σ and the SM Higgs would do any better.
7. There is no compelling need for a new color triplet.

I suspect that dark matter phenomena are really a quantum gravity effect, that neutrinos have Dirac rather than Majorana mass, that any baryon number violation or lepton number violation is limited to energies close to the GUT scale, that the lack of CP violation by the strong force is a natural consequence of the gluon having a zero rest mass, and that the graviton and the Standard Model particles are probably a complete set, at least up to close to the GUT scale.

Likes kodama
ohwilleke said:

ohwilleke said:
that neutrinos have Dirac rather than Majorana mass

Could you elaborate how that would work in a viable setup (or point to some references where this is discussed)?

so do you favor MOND or some variation of MOND over dark matter?
what is your preferred inflationary model?

ohwilleke said:
In my view, SMASH clumps together some of the ugliest and baroque approaches to issues with the Standard Model and is almost certainly incorrect.

1. I don't think that the strong CP problem or that axions are necessary to solve anything.
2. I don't think that axions are an attractive dark matter candidate.
5. I don't think that baryon number violation or lepton number violation have any plausible chance of being broken by a TeV scale complex scalar.
6. Most simple models of inflation were ruled out empirically by the Planck data and it is not at all obvious that a mixture of σ and the SM Higgs would do any better.
7. There is no compelling need for a new color triplet.

I suspect that dark matter phenomena are really a quantum gravity effect, that neutrinos have Dirac rather than Majorana mass, that any baryon number violation or lepton number violation is limited to energies close to the GUT scale, that the lack of CP violation by the strong force is a natural consequence of the gluon having a zero rest mass, and that the graviton and the Standard Model particles are probably a complete set, at least up to close to the GUT scale.

Can you please elaborate what you meant that dark matter phenomena were really a quantum gravity effect. Any references that explore this?

It would make more sense if a subsector of dark matter maintains some constants of nature... and even set some parameters.. instead of formula or beauty of equations defining them. Or maybe by extending it to dark matter.. some beauty or larger symmetry can occur.

For example. Axion thing was proposed as possible solution to the strong CP problem also solving the problem of dark matter... but can it the other way around.. dark matter not being axions but something that directly sets the theta of QCD for example... or other parameters or constants.. is there any paper at arxiv that describe this? For dark matter (the complete sector and subsector) theories to be true.. it needs to involve physics so complex that it exceeds the dynamics and physics of the standard model.

ohwilleke said:

Just to provide some sources, I'll point out something regarding this point.

(Allow me to recall that it is good practice to provide at least pointers to evidence or support for claims made on a physics forum, especially if, like here, the claims are meant to be rebuttals of other claims.)

What the PLANCK satellite had seen by 2013 is this (Planck Collaboration 13, figure 1):

PlanckData.png

The models in the shaded region are those preferred by the data. The "simple models of cosmic inflation" are those with power potentials ##\phi^n## such as the model "chaotic inflation" of campfire storytelling fame. The graphics shows that these are all outside the preferred region of the Planck data.

Instead, the model that is sitting there right in the middle of the preferred region, shown in orange, is Starobinsky ##R^2## inflation, essentially the first type of model of inflation that was ever considered (Starobinsky 80).

The Planck satellite took more data, and by two years later it had seen (and people had processed) the following, confirming and reinforcing the previous observations (Planck Collaboration 15 VIII, figure 22):
InflationPlanck2015.png

Attachments

• PlanckData.png
    PlanckData.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 779
  • InflationPlanck2015.png
    InflationPlanck2015.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:
Likes odietrich
ohwilleke said:

I agree with you. I having been working along these lines for a few years following Felix Finster. I think there are some interesting ideas there. Unfortunately, Finster is in mathematical physics and is being ignored.

Physics4Funn said:
I agree with you. I having been working along these lines for a few years following Felix Finster. I think there are some interesting ideas there. Unfortunately, Finster is in mathematical physics and is being ignored.

Interesting. I'll see what Finster has written.

SMASH..."yet another hypothesis".. :D The authors successfuly graped the media attention, that is all. Good for them.

1. What is SMASH and how does it relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

SMASH, or the Standard Model Axion Seesaw Higgs Portal Inflation Non-minimal extension of Standard Model, is a theoretical model that extends the Standard Model by including new particles and interactions. It is designed to address some of the limitations and unanswered questions of the Standard Model, such as the origin of dark matter and the hierarchy problem.

2. How does SMASH differ from other extensions of the Standard Model?

SMASH is unique in that it is the most minimal extension of the Standard Model, meaning it introduces the fewest new particles and interactions while still addressing the limitations of the Standard Model. This makes it a more elegant and parsimonious theory, which is highly desirable in science.

3. What is the role of the axion in SMASH?

The axion is a hypothetical particle that was originally proposed to solve the strong CP problem in particle physics. In SMASH, the axion plays a crucial role in providing a mechanism for generating the masses of the new particles introduced in the model, as well as for generating the observed amount of dark matter in the universe.

4. Has SMASH been tested experimentally and what are the implications of its potential discovery?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for SMASH, as it is a relatively new and complex model. However, some of its predictions, such as the existence of new particles and interactions, can be tested at high-energy particle colliders like the Large Hadron Collider. If SMASH is confirmed, it would provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and open up new avenues for research.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or criticisms of SMASH?

One of the main criticisms of SMASH is that it introduces a large number of new parameters that must be precisely tuned to match the observed data. This can be seen as a weakness of the model, as it reduces its predictive power. Additionally, some physicists argue that other extensions of the Standard Model, such as supersymmetry, may offer simpler and more elegant solutions to the limitations of the Standard Model.