Evanescent field of a waveguide

In summary, the part of the mode field, the tail of the mode field diameter, travel in the cladding, this might be I can understand that because of a little change between the refractive indices of the core and the cladding, then the transverse mode field will encounter less change. Then they mentioned that the other side they took off the cladding so now let say it is air then the length of the evanescent field in that side obeys to the equation as in the second picture, and the field is rapidly decaying... Why?! What is the physical reason? which equations include that? why should the transvers part changed to this situation?
Sciencestd
If we look to the figure, in several articles they mentioned that the part of the mode field, the tail of the mode field diameter, travel in the cladding, this maybe I can understand that because of a little change between the refractive indices of the core and the cladding, then the transverse mode field will encounter less change. Then they mentioned that the other side they took off the cladding so now let say it is air, then the length of the evanescent field in that side obey to the equation as in the second picture, and the field is rapidly decaying... Why?! What is the physical reason? which equations include that? why should the transvers part changed to this situation?
Images source: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/44067714 and scirp.org
physics forum.jpg
ygmsc.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
If I take the equation at face value (it looks real sensible)

## n_{\text{Si}}^2 \sin^2 \theta - n_{\text{gas}}^2 \gt n_{\text{Si}}^2 \sin^2 \theta - n_{\text{Sapphire}}^2##

so that

## d_{\text{gas}} \lt d_{\text{Sapphire}}## since ##n_{\text{gas}}\approx 1 \lt d_{\text{Sapphire}}##

In a wave guide one can always separate (as a product of functions) the transverse wave from the longitudinal because of translational symmetry along the guide. The transverse mode function obeys a wave equation in each medium each with a different propagation factor.

Likes Sciencestd
Thank so much for your help! :)
I have two questions: The first equation I can seek from Snell's law, but why to square them?
The second question is why then the mode field tail in sapphire can reach several micrometers but the evanescent field in low medium like gas just few nanometers (it's wavelength dependent in the equation "d=..")?

Sciencestd said:
The first equation I can seek from Snell's law, but why to square them?
Let's assume planar geometry with scalar field, ##\psi(x,y,z)##. The wave equation is,

## \nabla^2 \psi + k_i^2 \psi = 0##

where ##i## is Gas, Si, or Sapphire depending on where the point ##(x,y,z)## is. The wave number, ##k_i = \omega n_i##, so the square comes from the wave equation. ##\omega## is the angular frequency, ##\omega = 2\pi f##.

[sorry for all the edits]

Sciencestd said:
The second question is why...

Use separation of variables (I can do this because I chose plain geometry)

## \psi(x,y,z) = \chi(x)\eta(y)e^{-i\gamma z}##

and grind. I'd look at the case ##\eta(y) = 1## so it drops out. Note that one must solve for ##\gamma## the waveguide propagation constant. The wave equation for ##\chi## is one dimensional,

##\frac{d^2\chi}{dx^2} + (k^2_i - \gamma^2)\chi = 0##

##\gamma## is a constant for any given solution of the full problem. What happens when ##\gamma \gt k_i## is ##\chi## becomes exponentially damped. The bigger the dampening the shorter the distance.

Last edited:
Likes Sciencestd
I'm really very grateful to you... thank you so much! I have now the way to think about it... thank you :) for now I don't have questions..

Likes berkeman and Paul Colby

1. What is the evanescent field of a waveguide?

The evanescent field of a waveguide is the part of an electromagnetic wave that extends beyond the boundaries of the waveguide. It decays exponentially as it moves away from the waveguide and does not propagate like a typical electromagnetic wave.

2. How is the evanescent field created in a waveguide?

The evanescent field is created when an electromagnetic wave is confined within a waveguide. As the wave travels through the waveguide, it interacts with the walls and creates an electric field that extends beyond the waveguide's boundaries.

3. What is the importance of the evanescent field in waveguide applications?

The evanescent field plays a crucial role in waveguide applications, such as optical fibers and microwave circuits. It allows for the transmission of electromagnetic energy through the waveguide without significant loss, making it an essential component in communication and sensing systems.

4. How does the evanescent field affect the propagation of electromagnetic waves in a waveguide?

The evanescent field does not contribute to the propagation of electromagnetic waves in a waveguide. Instead, it exists as a decaying electric field that interacts with the walls of the waveguide. However, it can couple with other nearby waveguides or objects, leading to energy transfer and interference effects.

5. Can the evanescent field be controlled or manipulated in a waveguide?

Yes, the evanescent field can be controlled and manipulated in a waveguide through various techniques, such as changing the dimensions of the waveguide or using materials with different refractive indices. This control allows for the design of waveguides with specific properties and applications.