Evidence that the Earth rotates in Space

In summary, the Foucault pendulum experience is strong evidence that the Earth rotates on its axis. The apparent motion of stars and the location of launch sites for space shuttles also support the rotation of the Earth.
IvanDkiwi
Homework Statement
Hello,
I have a school project where i must explain and proove the rotation of the earth and i was wondering if the Foucault pendulum experience was an evidence that earth does rotate on itself.
Relevant Equations
Foucault pendulum
I was wondering if the Foucault pendulum experience was an evidence that earth does rotate on itself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course. The pendulum's plane of oscillation wouldn't rotate if it wasn't on a rotating object. It is strong evidence that the Earth is rotating.

Likes vanhees71
Apparent motion of certain stars, parallax - motion around the sun

Likes berkeman
IvanDkiwi said:
Homework Statement: Hello,
I have a school project where i must explain and proove the rotation of the earth and i was wondering if the Foucault pendulum experience was an evidence that earth does rotate on itself.
Relevant Equations: Foucault pendulum

I was wondering if the Foucault pendulum experience was an evidence that earth does rotate on itself.

Foucault pendulum is good evidence. It might be interesting to try to do the calculation of how long a pendulum will take to do one revolution as a function of latitude. For example, if you had one at the north pole, at 30 degrees north, or at the equator, what would you see? Then find nearby museum with a big one and see if your calculation matches.

Likes IvanDkiwi and gmax137
malawi_glenn said:
Apparent motion of certain stars, parallax - motion around the sun
Welcome to PF, @IvanDkiwi :smile:

Just to add to Malawi's idea above, you could find time-lapse images of the stars when looking vertically from the North and South Poles. With such sequential images, you could see that the star fields rotate in different directions at the two poles.

And what other observation(s) would you need to make to prove that it's the Earth that rotates against a mostly-stationary star field, instead of the giant field of stars rotating around Earth? :wink:

1685460638667.png

https://www.noctilucents.com/blog/the-circling-stars

Last edited:
Likes SammyS and malawi_glenn
Another piece of evidence, why did usa launch space shuttles in florida, and russia in kazakstan? (Closer to equator, more tangential speed)

1. How do we know that the Earth rotates in space?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the fact that the Earth rotates in space. One of the most well-known is the Coriolis effect, which causes objects moving on the surface of the Earth to appear to curve due to the Earth's rotation. Additionally, the rotation of the Earth causes the apparent movement of the sun and stars across the sky, and this movement can be observed and measured. Finally, the Foucault pendulum experiment demonstrates the rotation of the Earth by showing the change in direction of a swinging pendulum over time.

2. What causes the Earth to rotate in space?

The Earth's rotation is caused by its initial spin during its formation, as well as the conservation of angular momentum. As the Earth formed from particles in the solar system, it began to spin due to the force of gravity pulling these particles together. This initial spin has been maintained over time due to the Earth's large mass and inertia, which resists any changes in its rotation.

3. How fast does the Earth rotate in space?

The Earth rotates at a speed of approximately 1,037 miles per hour at the equator. This speed decreases as you move towards the poles, with the rotation being slowest at the North and South poles. The Earth completes one full rotation on its axis in approximately 24 hours, resulting in a day and night cycle.

4. Does the Earth's rotation ever change?

While the Earth's rotation is relatively stable, there are some factors that can cause slight changes. One of these is the gravitational pull of the moon, which can cause the Earth's rotation to slow down over time. Additionally, large earthquakes or volcanic eruptions can also cause a slight change in the Earth's rotation due to the redistribution of mass on the surface.

5. How does the Earth's rotation affect our daily lives?

The Earth's rotation has a significant impact on our daily lives. It creates the day and night cycle, which affects our sleep patterns and daily activities. It also causes the Coriolis effect, which influences weather patterns and ocean currents. Additionally, the Earth's rotation plays a role in the formation of seasons, as the tilt of the Earth's axis affects the amount of sunlight different parts of the Earth receive at different times of the year.