Evidence that the ship had its engine turned on

In summary: So from this we can conclude that there is a force acting on the system, and that force is positive (constant).
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 8.33.16 PM.png

Homework Equations

a = v/t
p=mv(?)

The Attempt at a Solution

If an engine is turned on, that means that the ships are accelerating since the engine pushes back on air with a force and air pushes back to propel the ships forward, so I thought (A) would be the answer, even though I was confused with other answers. However, the answer turns out to be (B)... Could someone explain why?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 8.33.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 8.33.16 PM.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 810
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 8.33.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 8.33.23 PM.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 522
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the velocity of the center of mass change or does it stay the same? BTW, there is no air in deep space, but that's not important to the question.

@kuruman — From the graph (if I'm doing it right), I think it's increasing a little.

JessicaHelena said:
@kuruman — From the graph (if I'm doing it right), I think it's increasing a little.
Can you be more precise? What is the velocity of the CM at t = 0 and then at t = 10 s? There is an equation for it.

@kuruman — At t=10 the v = 8005 m/s and at t=0 v= 8000 m/s .

Since the given graphs are pretty linear, the graph of CM velocity could be given by v=8000 + 1/2(t) ?

It could but you don't need the approximation. Have you seen the equation $$V_{CM}=\frac{m_1v_1+m_2v_2}{m_1+m_2}~?$$ If so, use it. You can read the velocity values off the plot.

@kuruman

I think I actually get the same values using the equation you gave me above though... am I missing something? But now that I see the formula, it does involve momentum...

JessicaHelena said:
@kuruman

I think I actually get the same values using the equation you gave me above though... am I missing something? But now that I see the formula, it does involve momentum...
You are not missing anything. Yes, the velocity of the CM in this case is given by the formula that you quoted. So what conclusion can be drawn from the fact that the velocity of the CM depends on time? What does this have to do with the engine being turned on?

JessicaHelena said:
thought (A) would be the answer,
Kuruman is leading you to why B is a valid answer, but for completeness it is also important to rule out A.
Is it possible for ship 2 to be speeding up even if neither has its engine on?

@haruspex — I don't know about the first ship, but ship 2 could speed up if the first ship pulls in the cable?

Also, for justifying (B), I was wondering if I could say, "because there's a net force acting on the system the momentum is not conserved"?

JessicaHelena said:
@haruspex — I don't know about the first ship, but ship 2 could speed up if the first ship pulls in the cable?
Right, so is A a valid reason for saying that at least one engine is on?

JessicaHelena said:
Also, for justifying (B), I was wondering if I could say, "because there's a net force acting on the system the momentum is not conserved"?
Yes, but that is backwards from what you need. You want to show there is a net force.

@haruspex — Since CM has velocity that's increasing, it's got a positive (constant) acceleration and so it has F (because F=ma), is that right?

JessicaHelena said:
@haruspex — Since CM has velocity that's increasing, it's got a positive (constant) acceleration and so it has F (because F=ma), is that right?
Yes.

What is considered evidence that the ship had its engine turned on?

Evidence that a ship had its engine turned on can include the presence of exhaust fumes, the sound of the engine running, and the movement or vibration of the ship.

Why is it important to have evidence that the ship had its engine turned on?

Having evidence that the ship had its engine turned on can help determine if the ship was operational at a certain time, or if it was being controlled by someone. It can also provide insight into the ship's movements and activities.

How can the evidence of the ship's engine being turned on be collected?

The evidence of a ship's engine being turned on can be collected through various methods such as visual observation, using specialized equipment to detect exhaust fumes, or analyzing sound recordings for the engine noise.

What other factors can affect the presence of evidence that the ship had its engine turned on?

Weather conditions, such as wind and waves, can affect the visibility of exhaust fumes and the sound of the engine. The size and type of ship can also impact the strength of the evidence, as larger ships may have stronger exhaust fumes and louder engines.

How is the evidence of the ship's engine being turned on used in investigations?

Evidence that the ship had its engine turned on can be used by investigators to determine if a ship was involved in a specific event or to track its movements. It can also be used to corroborate witness testimonies or to refute false claims about a ship's activities.