Exact Sequences - Lifting Homomorphisms - D&F Ch 10 - Theorem 28

In summary, D&F state that if F is in the image of \psi' then F = \psi' (F') for some F' \in Hom_R (D, L). However, this does not hold since F is not in the domain of \psi^\prime.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote, Chapter 10, Section 10.5, Exact Sequences - Projective, Injective and Flat Modules.

I need help with a minor step of D&F, Chapter 10, Theorem 28 on liftings of homomorphisms.

In the proof of the first part of the theorem (see image below) D&F make the following statement:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conversely, if F is in the image of [itex] \psi'[/itex] then [itex] F = \psi' (F') [/itex] for some [itex] F' \in Hom_R (D, L) [/itex] and so [itex] \phi ( F (d) )) = \phi ( \psi ( F' (d))) [/itex] for any [itex]d \in D[/itex]. ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My problem is that surely [itex] F = \psi' (F') [/itex] implies that [itex] \phi ( F (d) )) = \phi ( \psi' ( F' (d))) [/itex] and NOT [itex] \phi ( F (d) )) = \phi ( \psi ( F' (d))) [/itex]?

Hoping someone can help>

Theorem 28 and the first part of the proof read as follows:

attachment.php?attachmentid=69697&stc=1&d=1399873986.png

Peter

Attachments

• Dummit and Foote - Chapter 10 - Theorem 28 - RESIZED.png
    Dummit and Foote - Chapter 10 - Theorem 28 - RESIZED.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
My problem is that surely [itex] F = \psi' (F') [/itex] implies that [itex] \phi ( F (d) )) = \phi ( \psi' ( F' (d))) [/itex]

This cannot be true. We know that ##F^\prime\in \textrm{Hom}(D,L)##, and thus ##F^\prime(d)\in L##. But the domain of ##\psi^\prime## is not ##L##, but rather ##\textrm{Hom}(D,L)##. So ##\psi^\prime(F^\prime(d))## makes no sense since ##F^\prime(d)## is not in the domain of ##\psi^\prime##.

Likes 1 person
Thanks ...

Yes, you are right ...

BUT, now I have two problems ...

Problem 1 ... to get [itex] \phi ( F (d) )) = \phi ( \psi' ( F' (d))) [/itex] I simply replaced the [itex]F[/itex] with [itex] \psi' (F') [/itex] since we have that [itex] F = \psi' (F') [/itex] ... but presumably I did something 'illegal' ... can you explain my error?

Problem 2 ... How then does it follow that [itex] \phi ( F (d) )) = \phi ( \psi ( F' (d))) [/itex] for any [itex]d \in D[/itex] (given that [itex] F = \psi' (F') [/itex]? Can you help?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Thanks ...

Yes, you are right ...

BUT, now I have two problems ...

Problem 1 ... to get [itex] \phi ( F (d) )) = \phi ( \psi' ( F' (d))) [/itex] I simply replaced the [itex]F[/itex] with [itex] \psi' (F') [/itex] since we have that [itex] F = \psi' (F') [/itex] ... but presumably I did something 'illegal' ... can you explain my error?

If you simply substituted, then you would have gotten

[tex]F(d) = \psi^\prime(F^\prime)(d)[/tex]

Thus ##\psi^\prime(F^\prime)## acts on ##d##. You would not get [tex]F(d) = \psi^\prime(F^\prime(d))[/tex]

Now, by definition, we have ##\psi^\prime(F^\prime) = \psi\circ F^\prime##. Thus

[tex]F(d) = \psi^\prime(F^\prime)(d) = (\psi\circ F^\prime)(d) = \psi(F^\prime(d))[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Thanks ... appreciate your help ... given me the confidence to go forward from there in my attempt to understand projective modules

Thanks again,

Peter

1. What is an exact sequence?

An exact sequence is a sequence of groups or modules with homomorphisms between them, such that the image of one homomorphism is equal to the kernel of the next homomorphism. This means that the composition of two consecutive homomorphisms is always equal to the identity map.

2. What is the significance of exact sequences in mathematics?

Exact sequences are important in mathematics because they provide a way to study the relationship between different groups or modules. They allow us to break down a complex structure into simpler parts and analyze their properties separately.

3. What is a lifting homomorphism?

A lifting homomorphism is a homomorphism between two groups or modules that preserves the exactness of a sequence. This means that if the original sequence is exact, then the lifted sequence will also be exact.

4. How does Theorem 28 in D&F Chapter 10 relate to lifting homomorphisms?

Theorem 28 states that if we have an exact sequence of groups or modules and a lifting homomorphism between them, then we can construct a new exact sequence by "lifting" the original sequence. This allows us to study the relationship between groups or modules at a more detailed level.

5. Can you give an example of a lifting homomorphism?

One example of a lifting homomorphism is the inclusion map from the integers to the rationals. The sequence Z -> Q -> Q/Z, where the first map is the inclusion map and the second map is the quotient map, is exact. This means that the inclusion map preserves the exactness of the sequence, making it a lifting homomorphism.