Exam question: conservation law

In summary, the problem involves a ball with given parameters colliding with a wall and then moving vertically upwards. The question is to find the final velocity. The conservation of angular momentum is used to calculate the angular momentum after the collision. To find the angular momentum before the collision, the parallel axis theorem is used. The article on angular momentum simplification can be applied to this problem as it involves a single particle. The weight of the body can be ignored during the collision due to the short duration of the event. The final equation for the velocity is V = (I * angular velocity) / (mass * radius).
PhMichael
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1946/blahz.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1. Given data
Ball: I (moment of inertia), m (mass), R (Radius), V0 (Velocity, as shown ), [tex]\omega_{0}[/tex] (angular velocity, as shown).

The ball collides instantaneously with the wall and immediately after this collision, the ball ceases to rotate and only moves vertically upwards parallel to the wall, as shown in the figure. The question is to find this velocity.

2. The attempt at a solution

I think that this problem relates to conservation of angular momentum since the word "instantaneously" is explicitly written. Now, angular momentum is conserved about the instantaneous point between the ball and the wall, and there I can write that the total angular momentum about this point, after the collision is:

[tex] \vec{L}_{after} = -R \hat{x} \times mV \hat{y} = -mVR \hat{z} [/tex]

Now, how can I express the linear momentum before the collision?! I mean, about the ball's center of mass, it is obviously [tex] I \omega_{0} [/tex], however, is it the right expression to be used in the conservation equation? OR, should I used the parallel axis theorem and write [tex] (I + mR^{2}) \omega_{0} [/tex] instead?!

One more question: Is mechanical energy conserved in this problem?!
In an inelastic collision, energy is never conserved, however, here I'm dealing with one object hitting and infinitely heavy object so is it treated differently or in any case of inelastic collisions, I mustn't use the conservation of energy?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ummm, anyone? =/

hikaru1221 said:
Have a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_momentum#Angular_momentum_simplified_using_the_center_of_mass
There is friction on the ball, so the mechanical energy is not conserved.

This article relates to a collection of particles while all I have in the problem is one particle, so how will that help me? ... I mean, i know directly where the center of mass is (ball's center) and applying the angular momentum equation gives me one of the results that i wrote previously.

I'm maily asking of how to "attack" this problem ... or how can I use the angular momentum principle for this problem, as it is the only way I may reach a final solution.

PhMichael said:
This article relates to a collection of particles while all I have in the problem is one particle, so how will that help me? ... I mean, i know directly where the center of mass is (ball's center) and applying the angular momentum equation gives me one of the results that i wrote previously.
Body = continuous series of particles.
You were asking about how to calculate L before the collision, and I have pointed out how by making a reference to that site. All you have to do is to apply the equation in that site.

hikaru1221 said:
Body = continuous series of particles.
You were asking about how to calculate L before the collision, and I have pointed out how by making a reference to that site. All you have to do is to apply the equation in that site.

OK, but isn't angular momentum conserved with respect to a specified point?!
I think that I can't or mustn't equate two angular momentum expressions where one is taken with respect to the center mass and the other with respect to some other instantaneos point.
right?

One more thing, now I'm noticing that angular momentum with respect to the "collison" instantaneous point (after collision) is even not conserved because I haven't consudered the weight of the body which is by all means an external force =/

So how can I treat this problem now?

PhMichael said:
OK, but isn't angular momentum conserved with respect to a specified point?!
Yes. But that it's conserved has nothing to do with calculating it.
I think that I can't or mustn't equate two angular momentum expressions where one is taken with respect to the center mass and the other with respect to some other instantaneos point.
right?
Correct. But this is unrelated to anything we have discussed from the start.
First, you found out L after the collision about the axis going through the point of contact, parallel to [tex]\hat{z}[/tex], which is [tex]\vec{L}_{after}=-mVR\hat{z}[/tex].
Then you asked how to find L before collision about that axis. So apply the equation given in the site, with notice that the 2nd term in the final formula is now [tex]-I\omega _o\hat{z}[/tex] as for the ball which is a rigid body.

One more thing, now I'm noticing that angular momentum with respect to the "collison" instantaneous point (after collision) is even not conserved because I haven't consudered the weight of the body which is by all means an external force =/
The collision typically happens in a very short time. Therefore, the normal force and friction on the ball during collision is very large, so weight can be ignored.

Oh, so what you mean is: (A is the instantaneous point and D is the vector locating the center of mass from A)

Just Before Collision: [tex] \vec{L}_{A} = \vec{L}_{c.o.m} + \vec{D} \times {\vec{p}} = \vec{L}_{c.o.m} = -I \omega_{0} \hat{z} [/tex]

Just After Collision: [tex] \vec{L}_{A} = \vec{L}_{c.o.m} + \vec{D} \times {\vec{p}} = \vec{D} \times {\vec{p}} = -mVR \hat{z} [/tex]

and equating both terms yields:

[tex] V = \frac{I \omega_{0}}{mR} [/tex]

right?!

Last edited:
Correct :smile:

thanks pal ;)

Related to Exam question: conservation law

1. What is a conservation law?

A conservation law is a fundamental principle in physics that states that certain quantities, such as energy, momentum, and electric charge, remain constant in a closed system over time. This means that these quantities cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed.

2. What are the different types of conservation laws?

There are several types of conservation laws, including conservation of energy, conservation of momentum, conservation of electric charge, and conservation of mass. These laws apply to different physical phenomena and are fundamental to understanding the behavior of matter and energy.

3. How do conservation laws relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation laws are closely related to Newton's laws of motion, particularly the first and second laws. Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by a net external force. This is related to the conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

4. Can conservation laws be broken?

No, conservation laws cannot be broken. They are fundamental principles in physics that have been extensively tested and verified through experiments. If a conservation law appears to be violated, it is likely due to a misunderstanding or incomplete understanding of the system.

5. How do conservation laws apply to environmental conservation?

Conservation laws also play a role in environmental conservation efforts. For example, the conservation of energy and mass are important considerations in reducing waste and preserving resources. Additionally, understanding conservation laws can help scientists predict and mitigate the effects of human activities on the environment.